Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just had a nice piece of Mackerel.........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scallops with chorizo and black pudding

Comment

Monkfish with pancetta and a white wine sauce is immaculate too

Comment

Ive only starting fish (other than tuna) again after about 10 years , great stuff and very good for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by liraj View Post
          Anybody ever eat fish like this? Look's cruel to me I couldn't do it.

I must be honest. I am very up front about food freedom. I defend the eating of horse, the eating of whale, the eating of dog, etc (actually I have eaten all of these). I also defend the eating of so-called "squirming octopus" (in fact, I've eaten that too). But this here is barbaric. I can't see any good need for this. To eat a fish as it is actually still alive. And their playing with it just reflects the barbarism. I can see no good reason for doing this, a quick poke to the brain and the fish is done.

Comment

I ended up going with a Japanese deba bouchou instead.

I'm going to try making mackerel sashimi later.

Comment

Homemade mackerel sashimi, with my new knife.

Comment

Nice bit of rainbow trout always goes down a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                  The New England area also seems really good. The Caribbean, I agree must be amazing. Many great seafood places, to be sure. I think the US Pacific regions are pretty nice though.

it's legit

we're most famous for our giant tuna, cod, and the real speciality, shellfish.
                  lobsters and soft shell clams.

if you cut NE some shellfish broth comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
                    more like a Chilean Bad Ass that fish looks fearless....pretty expensive fish, how do you cook this ?

i've grilled it, but it bakes really well in an oven with a bit of salt and a couple spices for a tub.

the best way to cook it :

bring it to my mother's house and have her work some magic on it

and i'm reading that you can actually cook / sear it the way you'd sear tuna, or a piece of steak

sear it with a skillet on high heat briefly on each side, and then straight into the oven at 350 - 400 for a couple mins, maybe longer for a big piece of fish.

f#ck that stuff is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                      Homemade mackerel sashimi, with my new knife.

damn, nogo-san

that looks like some pretty legit sashimi. i bet you've got a totally different perspective on food after living for so long in japan.

Comment

Working...
                      X