Deontay Wilder's next opponent , a new low

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next he's going to challenge JMM at HW.

Comment

Wilder's calling up some cab companies to find an opponent for his next match.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
        This criticism is just, Hitman. There are plenty of active journeyman fighters in the division that would take this fight on short notice. Wilder's team is doing a disservice to him by matching him up with such soft opposition. There's the notion of gradually steppping up your prospect but it seems like Wilder's team is stepping down the competition for their guy.

They need to stop pampering their fighter; Deontay is capable of beating higher level opponents than the Mccrearys of the boxing world. He needs to be fighting guys like Vinny Maddalone. He's ready for this level at this juncture...

I'm one of Wilder's biggest supporters here but I'm disappointed by this kind of opponent.
        There are two different things, he isn't above legitimate criticism but lots of people have been on his ass for a couple years when anybody with a decent boxing eye could tell you he was several years away, and most of the dudes complaining here are from that group.

He is looking more like a real fighter though so wanting him to see him fight a bit better opposition is getting more reasonable but as it sits now a bit better opposition is still getting knocked out by him as guys that can really take his power or defuse him are high end and they won't put him in there with guys like that so finding a real challenge for him is not an easy task.

I still believe the most important thing to Wilder is staying in the gym, honing his craft and filling out his frame a bit, the fights keep him paid and break up the monotony of the gym but pretty soon it will be time to really challenge himself. Usually a prospect needs to get tested to expose their flaws thus giving them more to work on, but Wilder had so many flaws from the jump they didn't even need to do that, even though he has been knocking dudes out easily and not challenged much really he has improved a great deal. Eventually they will need to put him to the test though to see if it all worked and if they missed anything to improve going forward, but as long as Wilder is working hard in the gym and still improving that point doesn't "need" to get made real soon.

Plus he could fight two more times this year so I don't see the need to get hung up on this one fight which should be a walkover for Wilder.
        Last edited by The Gambler1981; 09-01-2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
          There are two different things, he isn't above legitimate criticism but lots of people have been on his ass for a couple years when anybody with a decent boxing eye could tell you he was several years away, and most of the dudes complaining here are from that group.

He is looking more like a real fighter though so wanting him to see him fight a bit better opposition is getting more reasonable but as it sits now a bit better opposition is still getting knocked out by him as guys that can really take his power or defuse him are high end and they won't put him in there with guys like that so finding a real challenge for him is not an easy task.

I still believe the most important thing to Wilder is staying in the gym, honing his craft and filling out his frame a bit, the fights keep him paid and break up the monotony of the gym but pretty soon it will be time to really challenge himself. Usually a prospect needs to get tested to expose their flaws thus giving them more to work on, but Wilder had so many flaws from the jump they didn't even need to do that, even though he has been knocking dudes out easily and not challenged much really he has improved a great deal. Eventually they will need to put him to the test though to see if it all worked and if they missed anything to improve going forward, but as long as Wilder is working hard in the gym and still improving that point doesn't "need" to get made real soon.

Plus he could fight two more times this year so I don't see the need to get hung up on this one fight which should be a walkover for Wilder.
          It's record padding.

I don't like record padding.

All of wilders fights have been record padding.

ALL OF THEM

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            It's record padding.

I don't like record padding.

All of wilders fights have been record padding.

ALL OF THEM
            That doesn't matter~

What matters is a prospect getting better, worse or stagnating and it is plainly apparent to anybody with even the slightest boxing acumen that he is getting better at least it should be.

Will he ever be anybody, who knows but this is the correct path to be taken with him to give him the best chance at possibly making it.

Also I said the moment he turned pro I didn't care what happened until year 5 and if they moved him faster than that he would fall on his face, we are currently at the beginning of year 4 so I have a whole year before I really need to judge him.

Patience is a virtue~

Comment

Fighters these days are all about spicing up their numbers on boxrec while avoiding a fight with anyone who may pose an actual risk..

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                That doesn't matter~

What matters is a prospect getting better, worse or stagnating and it is plainly apparent to anybody with even the slightest boxing acumen that he is getting better at least it should be.

Will he ever be anybody, who knows but this is the correct path to be taken with him to give him the best chance at possibly making it.

Also I said the moment he turned pro I didn't care what happened until year 5 and if they moved him faster than that he would fall on his face, we are currently at the beginning of year 4 so I have a whole year before I really need to judge him.

Patience is a virtue~
                Maybe, do you have the same opinion on the other heavyweight prospects though?

If so then fair enough.

I'd just like to see him facing at least decent journeymen.

People gave fury **** for rogan and maddelone, but at least those guys know their way around a ring and are able to clock you a bit stiff if you are sloppy.

I'd like to see wilder at that level at least

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                  Maybe, do you have the same opinion on the other heavyweight prospects though?

If so then fair enough.

I'd just like to see him facing at least decent journeymen.

People gave fury **** for rogan and maddelone, but at least those guys know their way around a ring and are able to clock you a bit stiff if you are sloppy.

I'd like to see wilder at that level at least
                  I think most guys should be moved with much more caution than they are, getting thrown to the wolves is usually a mistake but some should and can handle being moved quicker than others though. Byrant Jennings for example I see people bring him up as a big deal or next big thing, but he should be moved with a lot of caution because while he has talent he needs to learn to fully harness it to really amount to anything and the same applies to Seth Mitchell who they should pull back on a bit so he can hone his craft a bit more.

Lots of people think getting matched tough is the be all and end all for a prospect (any class) and that is the only way to grow but in fact getting matched tough can stunt a guys growth because to try and win they have to focus on specific things and as time passes they will focus more and more on what worked while other things a get pushed to the side making a guy less than he could have been. On the flip side though some guys putting them in tough really makes them expand their horizons.

Which is why I said when following a prospect what matters is if they are getting better, worse or stagnating. If a guy is getting better everything is pretty much fine, if a guy is getting worse he probably was never that good but if a guy is stagnating that is when they need to be challenged.
                  Last edited by The Gambler1981; 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X