No announcement yet.

Am I over the hill???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I over the hill???

I've been boxing on and off for about six years and would like to fight for an Amature boxing club, but I'm 33 years old... is this too old.

I'm a little out of shape, but would be willing to put in the work if possible to train and fight with an ABA club.

Your main obstacle is finding a club that would be willing to take you, assuming you are good enough. You should have made a move on this six years ago as am's are not allowed to box beyond 35 for some gay reason!

Comment

Originally posted by britnostalgic View Post
      I've been boxing on and off for about six years and would like to fight for an Amature boxing club, but I'm 33 years old... is this too old.

I'm a little out of shape, but would be willing to put in the work if possible to train and fight with an ABA club.
      If thats what you want to do, just go for it man. 33 is still young.

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
        If thats what you want to do, just go for it man. 33 is still young.
        I agree, but I think he will have problems finding a trainer who thinks it is worth while taking a 33 year old to shows. Trainers in england rarely give a **** about young people in their 20's unless they are heavies or very good, which is why most adult boxers tend to go into pro's. If he can find someone who will take him to shows, he should go for it rather than mope about it later on. The 35 year old age limit in the am's is absolutely ****ing ridiculous. Most of the best boxers in the world are probably above that age or near enough. They are young enough to fight 12x3 by pro rules but not 3x2 or 4x2 by am rules!!! I'd contact Age Concern, but they might say I am too young...

Comment

I was boxing for an ABA club around a year ago, but I lied about my age just so they would help train me... it worked out until my trainer met someone I know, who let slip how old I really was.

Luckily I know a few boxing trainers at a local city club and they reckon I should come train with 'em... i'm 6 ft 1 and everyone tells me I have a real good jab, a few people feel I'm not aggressive enough, but I argue that its because I'm sparring and not fighting for real.

I'm around 15 and a half stone, with a good reach - so hopefully if I can up the fitness I might get a shot.
          Last edited by britnostalgic; 11-21-2008, 11:06 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

What do you mean by boxing for a club? if you were competing they should have known how old you were when you went for a medical.

TBH, you can have some am's but you left it a bit too late. People may cite Popkins or Foreman as examples of never too old, but they started off when they were in their teens. You can have a few outings as a recreational fighter if you are lucky. go for it, but I gotta warn ya that alot of clubs won't take too kindly to the fact that you have less than 2 years left. Protest to your ABA about their gay age limit!

Comment

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post
              What do you mean by boxing for a club? if you were competing they should have known how old you were when you went for a medical.
              Never sent me for a medical, I think thats only if you fight for them... i've only ever done the training with an ABA club.

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post
              TBH, you can have some am's but you left it a bit too late. People may cite Popkins or Foreman as examples of never too old, but they started off when they were in their teens. You can have a few outings as a recreational fighter if you are lucky. go for it, but I gotta warn ya that alot of clubs won't take too kindly to the fact that you have less than 2 years left. Protest to your ABA about their gay age limit!
              Well I hope I'll be ok, if I could get five fights under my belt then who knows... but this is my worry, i'm not sure no matter how hard I train that a club will take me seriously because of my age. I really don't think its fair... i was all ready to fight ABA about four years ago, but stupidly a few weeks before the fight I got a knee injury playing footy, but like I said I've kept active and trained at a few clubs since, but I finally had an op on my knee about it 6 months ago and now my knee is stronger than ever.
              Last edited by britnostalgic; 11-21-2008, 08:27 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Bro it's never too late to compete. You havn't said you wanna be a world champion, you just wanna compete. I remember having problems finding a club at the age of 27, they just weren't interested.

Try and get yourself a few fights until your 35 then you might have to go the white collar boxing route to carry on competing.

Good luck!

Comment

Go for it, you'r still young. And after 35 you can still box except only with people 35 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor777 View Post
                    Go for it, you'r still young. And after 35 you can still box except only with people 35 and up.
                    Never heard of that mate. Must be a recreational boxing thing? Still. I don't understand ho people can win world titles in their 40's but can't box amateur at tender age od 35! Pathetic! That rule is a stupi ol antique and needs to go.

Originally posted by britnostalgic View Post
                    Never sent me for a medical, I think thats only if you fight for them... i've only ever done the training with an ABA club.

Well I hope I'll be ok, if I could get five fights under my belt then who knows... but this is my worry, i'm not sure no matter how hard I train that a club will take me seriously because of my age. I really don't think its fair... i was all ready to fight ABA about four years ago, but stupidly a few weeks before the fight I got a knee injury playing footy, but like I said I've kept active and trained at a few clubs since, but I finally had an op on my knee about it 6 months ago and now my knee is stronger than ever.
                    WHAT!? You injuured your knee 4 years ago when you were also about to box and got it repaired now? You're nuts mate and were kinda asking for this situation. I injured my knee in footy too and demanded an op ASAP. They will **** you abotu and send you to physio but you gotta tell 'em the **** is ****ing you up so they fix it. Not exaggerate, but EXPRESS your symptoms and the doc will send you to the op table to fix it. Now that you're back make sure you tell the club you really want to fight for the fun of it. Seems like your someone who is indecisive. No offence, but failure to take action and procastinating puts you in such situations all the time and you got nobody to blame but yourself. Your knew should have been fixed back then and then you would have had more opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                    X