Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inequality In Boxing Purses (Article)

This is a long article so I'll just post a link if you wanna read it

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/7/1...money-finances

This article took a look at boxing payouts for a 6 months in 11 different states.

Here's some basic info doe.

"After compiling all our boxing purses we find that the mean average is $67,948 but the median average is only $2,000."

"The total amount paid to boxers in this study was $83,235, 919. Of this the top decile was paid $79,172,000, or 95% of all the income, This group, which starts at $25,000, has a mean average of $648,951 and a median average of $75,000. This is 37.5x that of the median average of all boxers."

"Breakdown of Top 10 Percent
    Percentile Mean Median Minimum Maximum
    Top 1% 5,325,000 1,875,000 1,000,000 35,000,000
    2-5% 257,459 200,000 75,000 1,000,000
    6-10% 43,549 40,000 25,000 106,000"

"The minimum amount to make the top 1% is $1 million with the median average being $1,875,000 and the mean average being $5,235,000."

"So who are boxers that make up the top deciles? Well one strong indicator of a high purse seems to be matches involving a world title with major sanctioning organizations. There are currently four major sanctioning organizations: the International Boxing Federation, the World Boxing Association, the World Boxing Council, and the World Boxing Organization. These four held 26 world title fights in the 11 states used for this study during our six-month sample time. Amongst the 52 purses paid out to the participants of these title matches, the lowest reported purse was for only $5,000, while highest was Canelo and his $35 million."

"Major and Minor Promotions Pay Comparison
    TYPE NUMBER Mean Median Minimum Maximum
    MINOR 725 2,031 1,200 0 13,500
    MAJOR 500 163,875 8,000 400 35,000,000"

"The median for the 725 minor promotions purses collected was only $1,200, while the mean was $2,031. The median purse for major promotions was nearly 7x higher, $8,000, and the mean was $163,875."

"Estimated Low, Middle, Upper, and Top Share of Fights
    Amount Share of Purses
    0-999 28
    1,000-9,999 59
    10,000-199,999 11
    200,000 or more 2"

Interesting article. Title should read "Anyone who decides to box for a living is crazy".
    In my years of working with these sort of statistics, I've learned to throw out the top and bottom
    values. Very few boxers make $35,000,000 per fight. The middle level this guy figured was between
    $1,000 and $10,000'
    So basically most boxers have to share maybe a $5000 purse with his trainers and promoters, meaning
    he may end up with $2500. Per fight. 3 or 4 times a year. Unless their promoters are providing them
    with free room and board it's hard to imagine not needing a day gig.

These figures are (I bet) the same for actors. You have the top men and women (Tom Cruise etc)
    making $10,000,000 per movie, and the rest of them have to be waiters or waitresses.

Tough way to make a living. This also shows why idiots on these pages who call boxers bums, tomato cans,
    whatever, need to think a little bit before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
      Interesting article. Title should read "Anyone who decides to box for a living is crazy".
      I'd edit box & put in fight. The vast majority of people in any combat sport are making f#ck all.

The middle level this guy figured was between
      $1,000 and $10,000'
      According the to graph I posted 57.4% of boxers made $1k-$10k per fight. So he's right on point.

So basically most boxers have to share maybe a $5000 purse with his trainers and promoters, meaning
      he may end up with $2500. Per fight. 3 or 4 times a year.
      Yea the realllllllly effed part of this is most guys are taking home 1k to 10k per fight aren't taking home 1k to 10k. They are taking a % of that 1k to 10k that further cuts into this short money.

These figures are (I bet) the same for actors. You have the top men and women (Tom Cruise etc)
      making $10,000,000 per movie, and the rest of them have to be waiters or waitresses.
      Its probably like that in most entertainment fields. Sports, acting, writing, etc & so on.

Tough way to make a living. This also shows why idiots on these pages who call boxers bums, tomato cans,
      Good luck convincing idiots to be respectful of other mfers putting it on the line trying to be great at something. Mfers who never take risks live for seeing people fail who prove their own theory that its not worth it & then they hate on the person who did risk it & won cuz thats also something he's not a fan of cuz the reward for that guy is so sweet.

Comment

An amateur who would soon go pro once told me, "Boxing is a competitive sport, you got to be c0cky."

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
          In my years of working with these sort of statistics, I've learned to throw out the top and bottom
          values. Very few boxers make $35,000,000 per fight. The middle level this guy figured was between
          $1,000 and $10,000'
          he may end up with $2500. Per fight. 3 or 4 times a year. Unless their promoters are providing them
          with free room and board it's hard to imagine not needing a day gig.

I don't think anybody who is brave enough and tough enough to fight other pro fighters should be call a bum. Many on here call world champions bums.

Comment

If the fight is televised, the fighters get paid decent. Non televised club cards, the fighters are lucky if they make enough to pay their rent.

Comment

I'm actually ok with it because pro boxing is more entertainment than pure sport, and that seems to be the way the fans want it. Drug testing is an afterthought, titles have little meaning, the best do not fight the best unless the profit potential is prime.

Smart people rarely get into boxing because, when you look at those figures, it's a fool's career. Ruin your body and mind for less than you'd make doing an honest 9 to 5, and wind up unable to get decent work after your boxing career is over. It's a terrible occupation for the vast majority of boxers.

Comment

Working...
              X