The Official Iceman John Scully Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Final question for tonight Ice.

I read in another thread you saying that you thought you were often a better fighter in sparring than in your actual fights.

How come?
    I have no problem admitting that I was more of a gym fighter...in the pro fights I could do my thing sometimes but never with the precision, confidence, smoothness, ec etc as I could in the gym...most guys are better in the gym, even a Roy Jones. I have seen RJ do things in the gym I have NEVER seen him do in a real fight. The biggest thing for me, I think, is that in the gym I didnt worry so much about performing well and geting the win because I knew that no matter what happened it would go on the record..it's probably more mental than anything....I have seen guys in the gym give top pros a VERY tough time but on fight night when they were on edge or nervous it was different, they were more careful...I could be in the gym and stand against the ropes withmy hand slow and duck and dodge punches so easily, slickly, masterfully...but on fight night I am there and hearing the crowd and knowing that a good punch would look bad to the crowd...I keep my hands up more in the fight because I don't want to lose points...but it restricts your upper body movement etc...its just different...sparring can be very rough, the punches can still hurt, believe me...but when you are there and you can think more clearly your skills tend to show through better...another example: I can remember times in the gym when I could let go ten or twelve hooks in a row, landing 7 or 8 of them...but in a fight its harder to do,,hard to explain, it just is...I always say,if you want to see a guys real skills put him in the gym where he is more relaxed and can think better under pressure...you would be surprised at the skills of some of the guys who in real fights tighten up more and dont show you all they have.
    Last edited by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY; 10-17-2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulcrum29 View Post
      Hey Iceman who you got as prediction for Pavlik vs. Hopkins and what do you think of the skills of the mighty warrior Charles Zelenoff do you think if you trained him he could be a champion?
      I am picking, assuming maybe, K-PAV...I don't know if I would do so five or six years ago...but at this point I think KP might be a little too strong and determined

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
        I am picking, assuming maybe, K-PAV...I don't know if I would do so five or six years ago...but at this point I think KP might be a little too strong and determined
        hey ice. where do you currently reside/train fighters? im training in brooklyn/queens (right on the border) and didn't know if your were near nyc or not....

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
          hey ice. where do you currently reside/train fighters? im training in brooklyn/queens (right on the border) and didn't know if your were near nyc or not....
          I am in a part of Connecticut that is about two hours from you...What is your gym? I actually might be coming to a gym in Queens soon to do some sparring on a Saturday...I will get the name of the gym for you...I know that 175 pounder Will Rosinsky trains there.

Comment

I have no problem admitting that I was more of a gym fighter...in the pro fights I could do my thing sometimes but never with the precision, confidence, smoothness, ec etc as I could in the gym...most guys are better in the gym, even a Roy Jones. I have seen RJ do things in the gym I have NEVER seen him do in a real fight. The biggest thing for me, I think, is that in the gym I didnt worry so much about performing well and geting the win because I knew that no matter what happened it would go on the record..it's probably more mental than anything....I have seen guys in the gym give top pros a VERY tough time but on fight night when they were on edge or nervous it was different, they were more careful...I could be in the gym and stand against the ropes withmy hand slow and duck and dodge punches so easily, slickly, masterfully...but on fight night I am there and hearing the crowd and knowing that a good punch would look bad to the crowd...I keep my hands up more in the fight because I don't want to lose points...but it restricts your upper body movement etc...its just different...sparring can be very rough, the punches can still hurt, believe me...but when you are there and you can think more clearly your skills tend to show through better...another example: I can remember times in the gym when I could let go ten or twelve hooks in a row, landing 7 or 8 of them...but in a fight its harder to do,,hard to explain, it just is...I always say,if you want to see a guys real skills put him in the gym where he is more relaxed and can think better under pressure...you would be surprised at the skills of some of the guys who in real fights tighten up more and dont show you all they have.
            What sort of things did you see Roy Jones do in the GYM that he didn't do in fights?

Comment

I am in a part of Connecticut that is about two hours from you...What is your gym? I actually might be coming to a gym in Queens soon to do some sparring on a Saturday...I will get the name of the gym for you...I know that 175 pounder Will Rosinsky trains there.
              im gonna be fighting 178 as well. i train at nyboxing in ridgewood. its ray cuadrados gym. the amateur team is called brotherhood. will has been in a couple times and luis collazo trains there sometime. you may be going to starrett city boxing though...

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
                are you in a brownsville gym where clottey trains?

Comment

Iceman, I have read that Chad Dawson is naturally right-handed. Is there any particular reason that he fights as southpaw? Was he already like that when you started training him or did he switch to southpaw while you were working with him?

Comment

Originally posted by Fulcrum29 View Post
                    are you in a brownsville gym where clottey trains?
                    nope. im in ridgewood queens...

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                      Iceman, I have read that Chad Dawson is naturally right-handed. Is there any particular reason that he fights as southpaw? Was he already like that when you started training him or did he switch to southpaw while you were working with him?
                      I can answer your question.

To the best of my knowledge, he wanted to emulate his father, who was a southpaw.

Sorry if you wanted to hear it from John and sorry x2 if I'm wrong. LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X