Thread: Tarver's legacy
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 PM #10
GGG-Unit

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Bushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,146,121,526,324.63
Total Points: 18,146,122,660,519.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
I have always been kinda fascinated with Antonio Tarver. Maybe because he is an unusual figure. In several ways. He didn't wanna turn pro after he failed to make the olympic team the first time, so he waited another four years. That is pretty rare and admirable. It meant so much to him to make it in the olympics and as amateur. He could have turned pro earlier and by now he would surely have a much better pro record than he does. Instead of 27-6, it would be something like 47-6. Thats one other question I'd like to ask btw. How good would his legacy be if he had turned pro earlier? In late '92 or early '93?

Lets see first who ruled the 175 division back then...Virgil Hill was the WBA champ and recognised by many as the best LHW back then I think. Henry Maske became the IBF champ after beating Charles Williams in March '93. Jeff Harding had reigned as the WBC champ thru '93 before being dethroned by Mike McCallum in '94. So...how would Tarver do against these guys?
As much as I hate Tarver I think he could have been a really good fighter. The problem with him is that he seems to be scared to get hit. Yes no one likes to be hit but he seemed content just waiting and waiting until he could set up the perfect punch. If he was more aggressive he could have used his height and reach against anyone. Maybe its just not in him. If he fought everyone like how he fought Johnson the 2nd time he would have gave any light heavyweight problems
Bushidō is offline   Reply With Quote