No announcement yet.

How Were Weight Classes Decided?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Were Weight Classes Decided?

Was there a system to determine them or were the weights set arbitrarily?

Originally posted by Gods We Faked View Post
    Was there a system to determine them or were the weights set arbitrarily?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=boxing+weight+class+history

Comment

You seem to have confused the words when and how. None of those links describe how they came to settle on the weights, only that they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Gods We Faked View Post
        You seem to have confused the words when and how. None of those links describe how they came to settle on the weights, only that they did.
        I know...still seemed like a good opportunity to use the old "let me google that for you" move.

Hopefully someone like eff pandas does the leg work, or someone like Ray Corso who has been lacing em up since the Jack Johnson days chimes in with real life accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
          I know...still seemed like a good opportunity to use the old "let me google that for you" move.

Hopefully someone like eff pandas does the leg work, or someone like Ray Corso who has been lacing em up since the Jack Johnson days chimes in with real life accounts.
          I'd actually spent quite a while on Google before asking Lol. I actually checked the links, I was going to be pissed if you found the result just dicking around.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

Thank you thank you. Eff Pandas aka King of Wikipeding ****. LMGTFY is so 2011.

It seems like some cats in London just pulled them outta there ass from the best I can tell at the beginning to help prevent mismatches. By the 1910's there was the old school 8. Then the alphabet groups had a new weight division off or some such **** & the weight divisions exploding during the WBC vs WBA beef back in the day until the last of the bastard divisions was created in the 1980's.

Seems like for the most part they just added new divisions after the old school 8 based on the middle ground of the two divisions they were fitting the new division in between. So basically the alphabet groups created most of the divisions for "safety" officially, but more sanctioning fees is a good positive byproduct of safety for their bottom line I'm sure.

Personally I'd love to see the weight divisions scrapped, reduced & reinvented. Although with how effed up everything in boxing is I'm sorta of the opinion that boxing should hijack everything it can from the UFC including their 8 weight divisions (265, 205, 185, 170, 155, 145, 135, 125). If you weigh 107lbs you should eat more you skinny malnourished mfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Thank you thank you. Eff Pandas aka King of Wikipeding ****. LMGTFY is so 2011.

It seems like some cats in London just pulled them outta there ass from the best I can tell at the beginning to help prevent mismatches. By the 1910's there was the old school 8. Then the alphabet groups had a new weight division off or some such **** & the weight divisions exploding during the WBC vs WBA beef back in the day until the last of the bastard divisions was created in the 1980's.

Seems like for the most part they just added new divisions after the old school 8 based on the middle ground of the two divisions they were fitting the new division in between. So basically the alphabet groups created most of the divisions for "safety" officially, but more sanctioning fees is a good positive byproduct of safety for their bottom line I'm sure.

Personally I'd love to see the weight divisions scrapped, reduced & reinvented. Although with how effed up everything in boxing is I'm sorta of the opinion that boxing should hijack everything it can from the UFC including their 8 weight divisions (265, 205, 185, 170, 155, 145, 135, 125). If you weigh 107lbs you should eat more you skinny malnourished mfer.
              Canelo agrees with you :blow:

Comment

There are certain moments in boxing's rich history that determine how weight classes are chosen and agreed upon.

For example, years from now boxing historians will be able to look back and trace the 155 weight class to pioneering Canelo Alvarez.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
                  There are certain moments in boxing's rich history that determine how weight classes are chosen and agreed upon.

For example, years from now boxing historians will be able to look back and trace the 155 weight class to pioneering Canelo Alvarez.
                  Or various new divisions to pie-oneering Chávez Jr

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X