No announcement yet.

Serious Question about Boxing Injuries to amatuer athletes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Question about Boxing Injuries to amatuer athletes

So I have been going to a gym for about 3 months and tonight was my first sparring session. I got hit once and it dazed me pretty good for a second. I didn't fall down or anything but it was definitely a good shot. I have only "sparred" one other time in my life a few months ago with a friend just messing around. he also got me one time that kinda dazed me. both times i felt a little weird after for a while like i had to think for a second to remember certain things like what day of the week it was. I was able to continue sparring both times just felt a little weird after i got done. i was just wondering if things like this were common for beginners or if things like this can cause serious long term injuries. i just got a little worried after feeling weird for a while. any advice would help and thanks in advance.

bump umpbay

Comment

welcome to the world of boxing. Either you want to do it or you don't. You knew going in that you weren't signing up for a round of golf. And no, that is not uncommon, after abit you just get used to it and it subsides. It's very similar to the hits that you take in football, some will leave you ringing for awhile....Rockin'
      Last edited by Rockin'; 01-27-2011, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I think the post-sparring feeling you are thinking of is being very tired. When begginers start sparring most tend to have difficulty with proper breathing patterns causing lack of oxygen to the head (some high level pros do simular things). After breathing heavy for so long will definetly cause to you be light heading and out of it (tired), especailly if you got rocked during the sparring.

As for the shots you took, sounds like you just got your bell rung. It will happen to anyone if they someone connects with a very solid punch cleanly. This would be worse if you didnt see the punch coming, as a novice that tends to happen often.

Practice deap breathing in sparring and do some roadwork on a regular basic and you should be fine I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by actionjackson View Post
          I think the post-sparring feeling you are thinking of is being very tired. When begginers start sparring most tend to have difficulty with proper breathing patterns causing lack of oxygen to the head (some high level pros do simular things). After breathing heavy for so long will definetly cause to you be light heading and out of it (tired), especailly if you got rocked during the sparring.

As for the shots you took, sounds like you just got your bell rung. It will happen to anyone if they someone connects with a very solid punch cleanly. This would be worse if you didnt see the punch coming, as a novice that tends to happen often.

Practice deap breathing in sparring and do some roadwork on a regular basic and you should be fine I would think.
          Good advice............Rockin'

Comment

You should take it a little easier next time out.

You don't have to kill each other every time out.

Keep you chin tucked and your hands up.

Comment

Originally posted by actionjackson View Post

yeah i was definitely extremely tired and i have noticed i dont really have a good breathing technique. i've noticed that most people who have been boxing for a while make a unique breathing noise when they throw punches. i'm not too sure how to do this correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                You should take it a little easier next time out.

You don't have to kill each other every time out.

Keep you chin tucked and your hands up.
                yeah the trainers there actually commented to me that i was not keeping my chin tucked and i was holding my jab hand too low when my hands were up so it wasnt defending my face at all.

Comment

After a while you'll get used to it, manny said he pretends he didnt get hit i guess its kinda like a mental thing to help shrug it off, but remember to move ur head and always cover up

Comment

The first time I sparred I got caught with a mean left uppercut straight right hand combination. I had the same headache for two days. I havent had any headaches since then I guess my body got used to sparring or something's wrong with me and I wont find out what until im 70. You should be good though, i've seen alotta people knocked out or dropped and where just fine after words.

Comment

Working...
                    X