Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think overtime/sudden death rounds could be useful in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so what's with all the hate? boxing went from unlimited to 15 rounds, and now 12. just talking about an extension possibility. i'm sure you have all seen a fight where you felt it should have gone a round or two more...?

Comment

Originally posted by Leohappy View Post
      i think they should allow an extension of 3 rounds if BOTH corners agreed to it.
      very simple reason: boxers are well conditioned nowadays, and some fights end up being close. if both corners weren't sure of the outcome, give it another 3 rounds (maybe 2 minute rounds).
      fights like wlad-haye, williams-lara could have gotten an extension easily i think.
      take it you have a personal dislike for haye and williams, wanting to see them receive another 3 rounds each of a beating?

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
        take it you have a personal dislike for haye and williams, wanting to see them receive another 3 rounds each of a beating?
        errm haye woke up in the last round pretty much ..... if they extended that fight, it could actually have become interesting.

Comment

It would be interesting.

I think it should be implemented in the case of a draw. Just like K-1 does in the case of a draw. They fight one more sudden death round and whoever wins that one round, wins the match.

Interesting idea TS. I think Bboxing should introduce this rule but only in the case of a Draw.

Comment

Just doesn't work for boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Heeb View Post
              Just doesn't work for boxing.

How does it not? Explain please.

Comment

Originally posted by Leohappy View Post
                errm haye woke up in the last round pretty much ..... if they extended that fight, it could actually have become interesting.
                If they extended the fight, Haye would have continued doing sh** until whatever was the last round of the extended fight. Do you think he just woke up randomly in the last round? Or wanted to finish strong? This thread is nonsense.

Comment

i made a thread about this too a while back, i think a 3 minute overtime round should be implemented only if the fight is declared a draw...especially in championship fights.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                    How does it not? Explain please.
                    Conditioning is so key in boxing, telling guys to go another round after fighting 12 rounds, having spent all their energy with the mindset of fighting 12 rounds. Telling 2 guys who are beyond exhausted to keep fighting after a decision has been announced for a sudden death round just doesn't seem like a good idea. I'd hate to see guys holding back in the last round due to the possibility of having to fight one more round.

Now, I'm all for having 13 or 15 round fights to have less draws, but I don't like the idea of saying, "Hey, it's a draw, you have to fight another round!"

Comment

Originally posted by Heeb View Post
                      Conditioning is so key in boxing, telling guys to go another round after fighting 12 rounds, having spent all their energy with the mindset of fighting 12 rounds. Telling 2 guys who are beyond exhausted to keep fighting for a sudden death round just doesn't seem like a good idea. I'd hate to see guys holding back in the last round due to the possibility of having to fight one more round.

Now, I'm all for having 13 or 15 round fights to have less draws, but I don't like the idea of saying, "Hey, it's a draw, you have to fight another round!"
                      I see what your saying.

That's what makes the sudden death round good tho. They are exhausted, if they really want the W. They will dig deep and go all out or lose.

Could you imagine Martinez when he drawn with Cintron in a sudden death round?

Or better yet, Marquez-Pacquiao when they drawn in a sudden death round?

it'd be amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X