No announcement yet.

Orthodox stance or Southpaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orthodox stance or Southpaw

I was wondering which stance should i be in.

I am a right handed person my left hand is WAY off in comparison too my right. My coach makes me use orthodox stance but when im in it i feel unbalance and i have weak sloppy left jab but a good right hand. My coach says its because my left hand isn't developed like my right hand is but when im in southpaw stance i feel balanced i have extremely good footwork and a strong/tight right jab. My left hand is stronger in southpaw but when i throw it i tend to lean way too much and i throw it kinda sloppy but i feel more comfortable in this stance. My coach tells me work my left hand more and practice my defense and footwork and i should be good too go in orthodox stance.

I like orthodox stance because i have a strong right hand
    I like Southpaw because i have a good Jab and strong right leg lead so it makes me feel more dominate, i cant get smothered in this stance.

Which should i use Orthodox or Southpaw?
    also if you know any tips or workouts that could make my left hand stronger please post it!

If you are right handed use orthodox. if you have probelms it is either in your head or you;re not good enough. Hopefully the former not the latter. It seems you are trying to convince yourself, but if you box with your stronger hand in front, I ghuarantee you will have a weak BACK HAND, just like left handed orthodox fighters. But if it really makes you happy, you can switch if you want. But master the orthodox stance as your main one if you are right handed. **** this sloppy joppy ****, its all in your head.It sounds like you are beginner that has just started learning how to lead with his left jab. keep learning as your coach is right, you just need to get use to it son.

Comment

Well here is my input...

I am a natural southpaw (I'm left handed). I started off fighting as a southpaw, but I wasn't fighting very well as a southpaw (off balance, slow, lacking power) so my coach thought it might be better for me to fight orthodox so I could have my stronger hand lead for a stiff jab. It would also be easier for him to work with me because he is used to training right handed fighters. So I switched and the change worked very well. I had better balance and I could throw a pretty mean straight right on the mitts. The only problem is that when I got into the ring I had a really hard time pulling the trigger in orthodox stance. I found myself switching to southpaw a lot and then landing shots. So I decided to switch back to southpaw and I am finally seeing some success.

Ok, what does that all mean? It takes some time to get adjusted. If you're having trouble fighting orthodox just stick with it and within a few months you will be balance and throwing hard with your lead hand. Just trying working the heavybag and mitts a lot and also trying punching with some weights to build up your strength.

Comment

Thanks guys.

yeah **** that sloppy joe ****. RJJR!!

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleProdigy View Post
          I was wondering which stance should i be in.

I am a right handed person my left hand is WAY off in comparison too my right. My coach makes me use orthodox stance but when im in it i feel unbalance and i have weak sloppy left jab but a good right hand. My coach says its because my left hand isn't developed like my right hand is but when im in southpaw stance i feel balanced i have extremely good footwork and a strong/tight right jab. My left hand is stronger in southpaw but when i throw it i tend to lean way too much and i throw it kinda sloppy but i feel more comfortable in this stance. My coach tells me work my left hand more and practice my defense and footwork and i should be good too go in orthodox stance.

I like orthodox stance because i have a strong right hand
          I like Southpaw because i have a good Jab and strong right leg lead so it makes me feel more dominate, i cant get smothered in this stance.

Which should i use Orthodox or Southpaw?
          also if you know any tips or workouts that could make my left hand stronger please post it!

use southpaw, when i started boxing 5 years ago, i had the same problem, my right hand was stronger then the left, but in the southpaw position i felt a lot more comfotable etc, these are called right handed southpaws, like for instance chad dawson is one, so is marvin hagler, miguel cotto is a left handed righty, so if you feel more comfortable in the southpaw stance stay in it, trust me when you are in this stance your left hands will start to get better.

Comment

Stick with southpaw, if you can get good as a southpaw then its a bonus since you can do good at othrodox aswell.

Comment

I'm a natural right hander and i fight as a southpaw, but i have similar power and strenght in both hands. The only reason i started fighting as a southpaw is because it feels more "natural" to me.

Honestly, just do what feels right to you.

Comment

Thing is when im in southpaw i use my right jab and right hooks alot... i kinda ignore using my left hand because it lacks power and i throw it way too sloppy so when im in southpaw im kinda of a one handed fighter i try to practice my left hand alot but it just feels so sloppy.

when im in orthodox i use my left hand to jab alot but it is weak but atleast in this stance i tend to use both of my hands.

Comment

do more weights 3 sets of 10 minimum and in my opinion id suggest at least getting comfortable in 1 stance even if your only going to switch occasionally

Comment

keep practising jabs/hooks etc with your bad arm, stiffining it up and putting your shoulder into it, it'll start working wonders in the near future, i remember my left arm was flimsy and no ****in power, no coordination ya know, before i knew it i preferred it over my power arm(though it still did'nt have the power of my right, the left was just more comfortable and much faster)

it's all about practice man

Comment

Working...
                    X