No announcement yet.

Was it the punch or the weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
    lol sure. What SMW's has he ever hurt again? Even Kessler who wasn't able to see his right hands coming and wouldn't even react to them was eating flush right hands all night long without being remotely phased.
    Did you not watch the Dawson fight?

If you are incapable of seeing the power in his shots I don't know what to say.

I didn't say he has top notch power, what I said is that he isn't feather fisted. He is a boxer through and through, however. He doesn't care if he gets the knockout, all he cares about is if he executes his game plan well, which is to box.

Comment

Originally posted by S H A R K B O Y View Post
      Just the punch. No excuses Chad, you lost the fight fair and square. You said you could make the weight easily. He's going to lose a lot of fans including me if he keeps this up.
      Indeed.

However, Dawson wasn't the one to make excuses. He gave Ward his due credit in the post-fight interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
        Punch. I think just because Ward isn't knocking dudes out left and right people underestimate his punching power. Nazim Richardson gave an interview talking about it. I'll try to find and post it.
        thats real talk Rip...I heard Naz say that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
          He couldnt get his punches off because Ward was mastering the distance game, using lateral movement, setting up his shots with an effective jab and fighting inside successfully smothering Dawson when he wanted too.

Not being able to get off doesnt automatically mean it was because he was drained, Ward wasnt giving him clear openings, and Dawson isnt the type of fighter to throw when theres no opening.
          I always respect your opinions, but as for the fighting inside effectively bit, just my opinion, but Ward tends to hold on the inside way to much for me. That's perhaps my only criticism of him at this point as a boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
            Being hit harder isnt as important as where youre hit, Pascal may ineed have hit Dawson harder, but not as perfectly placed as Wards. He was on rubber legs when that shot hit.

Every punch is different, has different effects.

Ward does the same thing at 175.
            Exactly. The concussive effects of the punch just may have taken it out of him. I'm not saying that was the case, but it potentially was the case. Especially with a punch like that, right on the point of the chin.

Comment

Dawson has never taken a punch well. He has been the Amir Khan of 174lb his whole career. I could list everyone that has hurt him. It would be a very long list.

Comment

Why not both?

Dawson was taking Pascal's shots a lot better imo.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
                  Why not both?

And he was hurt Badly by Glen Johnson, stunned by Tarver, and dropped by Adamek.

Pascals punchers were punches you could see coming. He wasn't really bombing, he was trying to win a strategy game.

Andre Ward was timing Dawson into those shots. He set them up perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
                    Why not both?

I am always baffled by such comparisons as this.

I would expect boxing fans to be aware of punch placement. A shot like that to the chin would likely drop most fighters. Where do you think expressions like "glass jaw" or "granite chin" come from? It is that the chin is one of the points on the human body which is debilitating when hit solidly. I don't know the precise biology of it. However, I have heard things ranging from it has to do with the nerve endings in the chin, to that a shot to the chin has a highly physiologically concussive effect because it causes the brain to strike the back of the cranium with velocity. Maybe someone knows the precise science of it, but at any rate the chin is a sweet spot.
                    Last edited by Drunken Cat; 09-09-2012, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X