Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather will never have a GREAT win......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather will never have a GREAT win......

People always say floyd has never had a career defining fight, like a leonard vs hearns or a ali vs foreman. Thats true to a degree but my question is how is he ever gonna have a really great win if he's the favorite from 140 to 154, maybe even 160 depending who it is.

The reason why ali beating foreman was so great among everything else, is the fact everyone thought he was gonna get killed. Leonard was the same, people thought hearns and hagler were gonna destroy him.

The problem floyd has is even if he fought chavez jr. assuming he wins, floyd would probally still be the betting favorite. Thats crazy! Please dont start the manny thing either, no boxing expert thinks manny will beat floyd. Only fans think this, i watch ellie sechbac ask every trainer, fighter and promoter that question and 95% of them always pick floyd.

So the question is under these circumstances do you think floyd will ever be credited with a GREAT win. Or will he have to wait 20 years for that recognition.

P.S. even if you think floyd ducked some good fights he was still the betting favorite in every "DUCK" so how great would a margo or williams win seem now given how their careers turned out(margo-plaster) (williams-1 punch K.O.,lara loss).

thoughts ?

I'm pretty sure Mayweather-Corrales, in terms of odds, was a pcik em' fight. But tons of people thought Corrales was going to beat Floyd.

Mayweather has a great resume, is an ATG, around the Top 30 or so to me. One of the top 1-2 fighters in his era.

Comment

It's true. He keeps ducking good opposition. He'll never have a good win just like he'll never have a single endorsement.

Comment

floyd is a great fighter but if your best win is only a " corrales " then that tells a lot..

Comment

I think people know that Floyd-Martinez at 160 could be that matchup, especially after seeing the difference in the physical toll put upon him at 154. There would be huge danger up at that weight against that opponent.....I don't know if he'd be the betting favorite, but the obviously the possibility of a flat out KO would be quite real.

Roger has mentioned that they are well aware of the type of history they are going to be measured against, specifically as it relates to SRL-Hagler. It would be testing the limits that's for sure, that would be an awesome win in a career that is already ATG. If it never happens, nobody will blame him either so
          Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 07-18-2012, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Mayweather gets good wins. Pacquiao fights the same guys and they are great wins. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
              floyd is a great fighter but if your best win is only a " corrales " then that tells a lot..
              the only win that he could have had that would have been better than corralles/castillo/hernandez is manny. and that may still happen, even tho i doubt it. hes had a great career. ppl just doesnt know what it means to have a great career.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                People always say floyd has never had a career defining fight, like a leonard vs hearns or a ali vs foreman. Thats true to a degree but my question is how is he ever gonna have a really great win if he's the favorite from 140 to 154, maybe even 160 depending who it is.

The reason why ali beating foreman was so great among everything else, is the fact everyone thought he was gonna get killed. Leonard was the same, people thought hearns and hagler were gonna destroy him.

The problem floyd has is even if he fought chavez jr. assuming he wins, floyd would probally still be the betting favorite. Thats crazy! Please dont start the manny thing either, no boxing expert thinks manny will beat floyd. Only fans think this, i watch ellie sechbac ask every trainer, fighter and promoter that question and 95% of them always pick floyd.

So the question is under these circumstances do you think floyd will ever be credited with a GREAT win. Or will he have to wait 20 years for that recognition.

P.S. even if you think floyd ducked some good fights he was still the betting favorite in every "DUCK" so how great would a margo or williams win seem now given how their careers turned out(margo-plaster) (williams-1 punch K.O.,lara loss).
                thoughts ?
                Floyd never ducked a fight. Second, what's a great win? Potential name of opponents battling? Blood and guts fight (Chavez over Taylor)? Pure dominance (Floyd over Chico) Decisive win (Jones over Toney). Clinic (Ali Liston 1)? Out slugging (Toney over McCallum)? Opinion? People want to see Floyd in a true fight. He's been in them from day one.

Comment

Originally posted by Panginoon View Post
                  It's true. He keeps ducking good opposition. He'll never have a good win just like he'll never have a single endorsement.
                  He never ducked anyone homie. Bob said it out his own mouth in a 2006 interview with dan rafeil which you can find on espn website. Bob said floyd agreed to fight margo for 8 8 8 mill if bob could garuntee him cotto for 10, hatton for 10 and de la hoya for 20. Bob said no, not floyd.

Comment

Ok but then how does his career really suffer if hes been the favorite in just about every fight? He has had career defining fights, what about Emanuel Augustus or Philip N'dou? Even if you disparage the Corrales win, it's not the only fight where he has proved something. I mean, I don't want to bring it up but what about Mayweather/Castillo? He may not have been an underdog but he definitely left everything he had in the ring.

Comment

Working...
                    X