Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do pride, principles and moral mean to you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tyson View Post
    Moral and principles are of extreme importance to me. I try to put away my pride, as pride is negative, though it's very difficult to do so.

I have three principles that I follow;
    -Don't abuse trust
    -Don't abuse feelings
    -Don't be disrespectful towards people close to you

I expect the same thing back, so if someone violates any of these three principles they're dead to me, regardless of who they are.
    Needless to say, I don't have many friends. I have tons of people that I know, but very few I would consider as a friend.

Being who I am with the ideals I have, people tend to tread very carefully around me. On the flipside, I am 100% behind my friends/those close to me.
    I won't buy them smoke though, as that is morally wrong. I don't want to aid suicide, ya dig?
    I feel ya man. Hard to find a true, trustworthy friend these days. Everyone just seems to selfish and self-centered.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
      Pride counts. I despise liars, snitches, and traitors and would never lower myself to that level. It ain't that hard to stay true to your word, not **** people over, and act respectful/respectable to other people. $ and ***** is good **** to have around, but not at the expense of your pride imo.
      Define "pride".

Not lying to someone is not because of pride in my eyes, that's respect.
      Because of respect, you won't lie to someone you love. I will however assume that you lie more readily to people you don't know, hence it's not a pride thing, but a respect thing.

I firmly believe pride is a negative thing. Respect is a positive thing.

Comment

Define "pride".

Not lying to someone is not because of pride in my eyes, that's respect.
        Because of respect, you won't lie to someone you love. I will however assume that you lie more readily to people you don't know, hence it's not a pride thing, but a respect thing.

I firmly believe pride is a negative thing. Respect is a positive thing.

You gotta be an ******* to be a good liar, cuz it won't bother you to sit their and talk outta your ass. Same thing wit betrayin cats who trust you, stealin from people, or anything like that. Speakin for myself anyway, I wouldn't do that **** cuz I value my own integrity too much. The fact that people do shady **** like that shows me that they don't got any self respect, let alone respect for whoever they're lyin to or ****in over. Your regard for other people obviously has sumthin to do wit it too, but for me it's a matter of hatin those kinda people, thus refusin to become one of em. Call it pride homey.
        Last edited by MANGLER; 12-31-2008, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sukhenkoy View Post
          I feel ya man. Hard to find a true, trustworthy friend these days. Everyone just seems to selfish and self-centered.
          Every single being I know or have met is selfish. You have to be in order to survive.
          I don't see that as the fundamental problem, I feel it has more to do with the perception of values in our society.
          Money, career, success and sex are what people seek to achieve nowadays, things that has little or no value.
          People who crave those things sacrifice things like honesty, respect and emotional value to achieve it.

Comment

You gotta be an ******* to be a good liar, cuz it won't bother you to sit their and talk outta your ass. Same thing wit betrayin cats who trust you, stealin from people, or anything like that. Speakin for myself anyway, I wouldn't do that **** cuz I value my own integrity too much. The fact that people do shady **** like that shows me that they don't got any self respect, let alone respect for whoever they're lyin to or ****in over. Your regard for other people obviously has sumthin to do wit it too, but for me it's a matter of hatin those kinda people, thus refusin to become one of em. Call it pride homey.
            I see what you mean. I just don't call it pride. I call it respect, or respectful behaviour.

I think of pride as the mental picture of yourself that you want to project to others, in lack of a better way to describe it. Pride is the fear of losing points in the eyes of others by doing the "wrong" thing, like spending time with a person "they" don't like for example.

I see pride as an obstacle, as the egomanical image of yourself, the notion that you're better than someone etc... The very process of thinking that, for example, prevents you from picking up thrash on the street in case someone sees you and think you're a homeless bum.
            If you care about how people think of you, that's pride.

I think that's a negative thing, don't you?

Comment

I see what you mean. I just don't call it pride. I call it respect, or respectful behaviour.

I think of pride as the mental picture of yourself that you want to project to others, in lack of a better way to describe it. Pride is the fear of losing points in the eyes of others by doing the "wrong" thing, like spending time with a person "they" don't like for example.

I see pride as an obstacle, as the egomanical image of yourself, the notion that you're better than someone etc... The very process of thinking that, for example, prevents you from picking up thrash on the street in case someone sees you and think you're a homeless bum.
              If you care about how people think of you, that's pride.

I think that's a negative thing, don't you?

I see what you mean. No, not necessarily. I think we're talkin up the same point, just in a different way. I sleep better at night knowin in my own head I ain't a lowlife, and of course I want other people to see me in that same light. How you feel about yourself and how you'd like other cats to view you has a say in your actions. But there's a limit to everything. If you let what other people think control how you function altogether, you're just stupid. If I could make a move to better myself somehow that I knew other cats around me disagreed with, I wouldn't let that **** stop me from gettin my shine homey.

Comment

I see what you mean. No, not necessarily. I think we're talkin up the same point, just in a different way. I sleep better at night knowin in my own head I ain't a lowlife, and of course I want other people to see me in that same light. How you feel about yourself and how you'd like other cats to view you has a say in your actions. But there's a limit to everything. If you let what other people think control how you function altogether, you're just stupid. If I could make a move to better myself somehow that I knew other cats around me disagreed with, I wouldn't let that **** stop me from gettin my shine homey.
                Exactly, beating the same bush from different angles.

I just wanted to explain my view on why I find pride as a negative thing. The reason I believe it's a negative thing to care what people think of you is because what people will think of you will change when their values or opinions change.
                You can't alter your behaviour because the views of the society alters, that's hypocracy.

At the end of the day, the one you have to live with is yourself, and thus how you feel about yourself is the only thing of importance.
                Doing stuff because it makes you more appreciated by random people is not acting out of moral, will or respect, it's acting out of the ego.

Of course, the ego will be good or bad, depending on your prespective of values.

Basically it's subjective, and that's why we need laws.

Comment

I'm surprised so few replied to this thread.

It's interesting to see how much these overlooked things actually mean to people nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                  X