No announcement yet.

Supplements... what to take?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplements... what to take?

I know this has been asked a few (thousand) times before but wanted to ask anyways giving my current situation

I recently have began boxing and found it very tough to put strength and speed behind my strikes, especially after a few minutes have gone by.

problem is i dont have much time to exercise and have a desk job, so i sit on my backside 8+ hours a day.

i goto the gym for 1 hour to run every other day and can do things with my own bodywieght at home

so with that in mind what would be best to take to both loose weight and gain strength / muscle to aid in my striking issues.

ive heard allot about protein shakes and fish oil... but im not 100% what brands / type to go for... water based or milk? what to look out for?

also im not a fan of fish (cant stand it infact!) do they actually taste of fish / burps etc or do they come in different flavours?

if someone could point out some brands (available in theUK if possible) that would be a HUGEEE help also the best times to take and the amount to take given my situation and training

as you can see im pretty clueless but im willing to learn and follow advice

any help would be great

Thanks
    Chris
    Last edited by CrysAk; 07-03-2008, 08:36 AM.

PM detroit101, he'll get you started in no time.

Comment

First things first you need to know exactly why you need supplements, it's best to do a little research about sports nutrition before you rush out and buy a £50 3kg bottle of "Super Hero Explosive Power Potion"

I'm on a high protein diet to maintain my muscle mass whilst trying to cut body fat percentage. I eat 5-6 small meals a day and make sure I consume protein in each meal. I consume approx. 200g plus of protein everyday, this is based on my lean muscle mass using a proper body compositon analyser. I use maximuscle protein powders because trying to consume that much protein with just natural foods can be very expensive and time consuming.

Comment

thanks guys, i have done a little research on the ones i mentioned as when i run i have a very high heart rate for some reason (although i wouldnt consider myself unfit) also i have read that protien aids muscle regeneration, espicially in the first few horus of sleep

im not looking to have a 100% strict diet to become the next "insert famous boxer here", just a little something to aid in my fitness and training as im not looking to do this professionally or compete, more for fitness and out of interest.

any more advice is more than welcome

Comment

hey im new to boxing but im not new to the world of sports nutrition and training. the common thing i see is people trying to find a "maigc bullet" supplement that they can pay money to see gains as opposed to working hard. there is no supplement that can help you unless you are consistently working hard, not even sterioids.

you must make time for your workouts. i workout an hour before work and hit the boxing gym for 2 hours after. i too work a 9 hour a day desk job, it can be done if you make it work.

BUT with that out of the way as i am SURE that is not the answer you were looking for, a creapure creatine monohydrate, whey protein post post workout, and enteric coated (prevents fish burps) fish oil caps is a good start on supplementation.

Comment

haha dont get me wrong, i work my ass off when i do get the time to work out so im not looking for that "magic bullet" just something to aid in my workout and muscel regen.

thanks for the tips and info on the products, will look them up ^^

Chris

Comment

how many fish oil capsules daily????

Comment

depends on the amount of fish oil in them (the more concentrated it is the less you have to take)

10g of total fish oil is considered good but its pretty steep

Comment

steroids

Comment

Originally posted by J_CON View Post
                    steroids
                    That's the spirit.

Comment

Working...
                    X