No announcement yet.

Weight lifting for explosive power..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight lifting for explosive power..

I do most of my weightlifting as power sets (0 seconds up, 4-5 seconds down), I'm currently doing deadlifts, jumping squats and will start doing clean jerk/press..also do kalesthetics (jumping push ups, pull ups)
    I've noticed alot more of my punches are being thrown through my legs and increasing power..(I believe)

Do you guys have any comments regarding benefits of weight training? What do you find works?

I am no expert but those don't seem like good exercises for boxing. I hear a lot guys use a 5 pound bat and just pound on a tree make sure mark a spot somewhere on the tree and focus on accuracy and be conscious of using your hips and legs when you swing. Also swimming is probable the best general exercise you can do(much better than running)

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      I am no expert but those don't seem like good exercises for boxing. I hear a lot guys use a 5 pound bat and just pound on a tree make sure mark a spot somewhere on the tree and focus on accuracy and be conscious of using your hips and legs when you swing. Also swimming is probable the best general exercise you can do(much better than running)
      Say what u will about Juan Diaz but the kid was super fit with a high workrate and he Never ran, he credits swimming to his fitness

Comment

Originally posted by J.Dempsey View Post
        I do most of my weightlifting as power sets (0 seconds up, 4-5 seconds down), I'm currently doing deadlifts, jumping squats and will start doing clean jerk/press..also do kalesthetics (jumping push ups, pull ups)
        I've noticed alot more of my punches are being thrown through my legs and increasing power..(I believe)

Do you guys have any comments regarding benefits of weight training? What do you find works?
        Sounds spot on bud, i dont do dead lifts myself but other than that i train much the same and have had great results

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          Wouldn't pounding a tree cause alot of blunt trauma? Ie: damage to ur joints? I've seen sledge hammer on tyre and bat on punch bag atleast they give way a bit?
          Yes swimming is good if I can get the breathing right, do u find its hard getting used to? in boxing u breath thru nose n out mouth but in swimming it's opposite, can't seem to get it right!

Comment

I started a workout program not to long ago where it is only compunds lifts with low reps and explosive movements.

I've seriously never punched harder in my life it is a great feeling getting more power for boxing. It has convinced me to start training in October and get some am fights and maybe even gold gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Dempsey View Post
              Wouldn't pounding a tree cause alot of blunt trauma? Ie: damage to ur joints? I've seen sledge hammer on tyre and bat on punch bag atleast they give way a bit?
              Yes swimming is good if I can get the breathing right, do u find its hard getting used to? in boxing u breath thru nose n out mouth but in swimming it's opposite, can't seem to get it right!
              I think the point of doing it on a tree as opposed to a something that gives is you don't have to wait for it to swing back. But yeah you should probable learn how to hold the bat to minimize the "trauma".

Comment

de[ends on what u r trying to do... if i lift heavy i blow up so i dont really lift much anymore....

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tZeuvPnVOs

Look at what Chavez is doing in this video except I have seen guys do it with a heavy bat

Comment

I tried a multitude of exercises with 15 pound dumbells, my chest and biceps feel tense and tight and I feel like my speed has negated.

This was about 2 days ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X