No announcement yet.

Quit acting like Lacy was a bum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forza View Post
    Everyone calzaghe beats automaticlly goes to "bum" status or "out of prime "

Of course the day before the fight they are top 5 p4p and belt holders, but after calzaghe beat the **** out of them they are "overrated bums" or " RJJ was too old " or "Bhop got robbed! "

American boxing fans can't stand to see a white european male that good. It hurts them that he retired undefeated sparking out lacy, rjj, then to top it off destroying bhop.
    Forza what are you talking about my friend? Lacy had never proved to be good. He was a great prospect and was very hyped by boxing fans all over, I remember him being hyped as "The Next Mike Tyson" when he was anything but. You pretend that because Calzaghe beat him, that automatically makes him a bum to non-European fans.

Please tell me who Jeff beat when he stepped up? Joe beat him in a decision, an old Jermain Taylor beat him and please understand that he was knocked out BY A SHOT, WASHED UP, OLD Roy Jones! The guy never beat a single top fighter, but was beaten by guys who, despite being good in the past, were so far past it they could never beat anybody who is a top class elite!

If Lacy was as good as you believe, he would have won some of those fights but the fact is he won none of them. He was a good prospect and a hypejob, nothing more.

Comment

are people still arguing about this ****?

Comment

Any southpaw with a high punch-output, high work-rate and fast hands would cause you problems. And Calzaghe, at the time, wasn't exactly inexperienced either.

Lazy was a hard punching fighter with a good K.O. ratio. However, Anyone with speed and movement would cause him trouble. Taylor looked good against him in the early rounds with his fast and stiff double jabs - until Taylor gassed out and the fight became a bit bland. Taylor still won it without doubt. Jones looked prime against him because he could do almost anything. Lazy was overwhelmed by Roy's speed. Same thing against Calzaghe. Joe would land punches before Lazy could get off and by the time Lazy got in, Joe was gone.

Jeff Lazy was a prospect and was hyped to be a household name in boxing. He failed to live up to the hype and expectations.
        Last edited by Main Source; 02-12-2011, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't have called him a bum, nor am i taking away from Joe's impressive win in any way, but simply based on he's performed since then against other elite fighters Lacy just wasn't what he was hyped to be and couldn't hang with elite fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirao View Post
            Check threads on this forum (or any other boxing forum for that matter), the overwhelming majority thought Lacy was going to, not only win, but destroy Calzaghe. We all know how that worked out...
            I wasn't even into forums back then...So I wouldn't know. The fight fans that I speak with on a regular basis face to face, has seen at least 3 or 4 Joe fights.

We all agreed he would beat Lacy.

I'm sure you are correct though. Based on the fact this is not the first time I have seen a topic like this (the topics and posting you speak of were bumped on another site, where I first started posting), and now that I think about it, you and Larry my have a point...

Of course Joe had support, but I do remember (from those bumped topics) a large majority supporting Lacy...I'm just recalling my circle of friends (none of us picked Lacy).

Comment

Working...
            X