No announcement yet.

Upperbody strengthening exercises

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upperbody strengthening exercises

Ok first thing's first let me tell you a little about myself.
    I am fourteen years old turning fifteen this year, im 5"8 and weigh 140 lbs. I can do 55 pushups in a minute/set. I can hold a plank for 3 minutes. I can do about 6-8 chinups and about 3 pullups (sad i know) I run an 8k 5 days a week, go to the gym 3 times a week, have boxing 2 times a week (its a boxing club and i so wish it was 5 days a week) Im in decent shape but im improving.

Anyway i am wondering some good exercises to increase my upperbody strength, now i can figure out some things to do with weights but what im asking is some creative and challenging bodyweight excersises that will improve my upperbody strength, my lower body i can handle but upperbody is a big one. So anything you can recommend would be great.

Thank you in advance.

- Marlin26

Judo/Jacknife pushups - Basically get into a push up position. Move your legs apart little bit wider than shoulder length, have your hands positioned a little wider than shoulder width as well. Have your hips/behind in the air, then at a downward angle proceed to do a push up with your chest going down first. Once down move your chest forward and then make your arms go straight. Reverse back to the position at which you started. You will know your doing it right when your body makes a digging motion like a shovel. It looks like your doing a push up wrong but in reality its a very good upper body work out. Alot more dynamic than regular pushups.

Falling pushups - Get on your knees and fall forward in a 'down' push up position. Explode back up when you push yourself up. When you explode you will want to return to the starting position in an instant. You will know your doing it right when your triceps burn like hell.

Falling pull-ups - Get into the "up" position of a pull up. Allow your arms to fall (keep hold of the pull-up bar!), then catch yourself and pull back up. Its seems easy but its hard.

Remember, dont cheat! You dont have to do 1 thousand reps and 20 sets to have a successful workout. If you do it properly, you only need 12 reps max. Sets can be anywhere from 2-4. Its what I do and I learned low reps have the same benefit as alot from Bruce Lee. So how wrong can it be?

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      Judo/Jacknife pushups - Basically get into a push up position. Move your legs apart little bit wider than shoulder length, have your hands positioned a little wider than shoulder width as well. Have your hips/behind in the air, then at a downward angle proceed to do a push up with your chest going down first. Once down move your chest forward and then make your arms go straight. Reverse back to the position at which you started. You will know your doing it right when your body makes a digging motion like a shovel. It looks like your doing a push up wrong but in reality its a very good upper body work out. Alot more dynamic than regular pushups.

Falling pushups - Get on your knees and fall forward in a 'down' push up position. Explode back up when you push yourself up. When you explode you will want to return to the starting position in an instant. You will know your doing it right when your triceps burn like hell.

Falling pull-ups - Get into the "up" position of a pull up. Allow your arms to fall (keep hold of the pull-up bar!), then catch yourself and pull back up. Its seems easy but its hard.

Remember, dont cheat! You dont have to do 1 thousand reps and 20 sets to have a successful workout. If you do it properly, you only need 12 reps max. Sets can be anywhere from 2-4. Its what I do and I learned low reps have the same benefit as alot from Bruce Lee. So how wrong can it be?
      thanks man those falling pushups are a great idea that im surprised i never came up with. im also looking forward to those falling pull-ups: sounds fun :P

Comment

try some sledge hammer training. great for your upper back and lats

Comment

wow nice guide thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by g0tcha View Post
            try some sledge hammer training. great for your upper back and lats
            YES! oh my god ive been trying hard to get a sledgehammer and a tire but there harder to find for some reason, probally cuz im fourteen and not to many stores are gonna be like "oh yeah heres a tire and a sledge" great idea thanks man

Comment

haha. try opening up the yellowpages or search yellowpages.com for a commercial tire shop and i hear they are more then happy to get rid of old tires that you can use. as for the sledge hammer good luck if they arent going to sell you one and you cant find someone to get it for you heh.

Comment

Originally posted by g0tcha View Post
                haha. try opening up the yellowpages or search yellowpages.com for a commercial tire shop and i hear they are more then happy to get rid of old tires that you can use. as for the sledge hammer good luck if they arent going to sell you one and you cant find someone to get it for you heh.
                thanks man i'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
                X