Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 Cent Now a Boxing Promoter, Expected to Sign Yuriorkis Gamboa and Andre Dirrell.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atreyu Khalil View Post
    In what I think is a genuinely interesting piece of news, rapper and actor Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson is now a licensed boxing promoter, and has founded TMT Promotions, which is already good to go in New York and is in the process of being licensed in Nevada, according to Chris Mannix.

What makes it really interesting is that 50 Cent is expected to sign two legitimate, notable, high-end fighters in Yuriorkis Gamboa and Andre Dirrell. Both fighters have had recent connections to the Mayweather camp, and have trained in Mayweather's Vegas gym.

Earlier this year, Gamboa, considered the world's top featherweight, bailed on a fight against Brandon Rios, which many sources said was due to influence from the Mayweather team, though this was never "confirmed," really. He was part of Floyd's entourage for the Miguel Cotto fight in May.

In late June, Top Rank and Gamboa came to an agreement, with Top Rank dropping their lawsuit against him and the two sides mutually parting ways.

Dirrell, a top super middleweight, dumped promoter Gary Shaw and Al Haymon earlier this year, and made claims that he was ready to go on his own. That has led to nothing, as I expected, because Dirrell isn't a draw or all that well-known a fighter, despite being highly skilled. He needs a promoter, and it looks like he's found one.

This could all fail gloriously, but they said that about Golden Boy Promotions, too. Whatever you might think of 50 Cent, the guy's made a lot of money, and he's also not just a Mayweather flunky -- he has reportedly been interested in doing this for some time, and is now making the leap. I say best of luck to him. I'm really interested in seeing where this goes. It's already more legit than Mayweather Promotions has ever been.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/7/20...oa-boxing-news

http://mma-boxing.si.com/2012/07/20/...iorkis-gamboa/

The platinum selling artist, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, has founded TMT Promotions — short for "The Money Team" — which has been licensed in New York and, according to Nevada state athletic commissioner Keith Kizer, is in the process of applying for a license in Nevada.
    How will Floyd deal with this, when they are supposed to sign with Mayweather's company? Not only that, but fifty doesnt even know anything about boxing, they asked him who is favorite fighter was, and the only reason he said gamboa, is because he had just met him and saw him spar at Floyd's gym, and he was thinking hard to come up with a favorite fighter....this is why fifty will fail, because he dont know boxing...U have to groom a fighter, and put them in the ring with a few easy opponents, THEN u put them in with a credible foe, that is NOT so good, that they will kill your fighter, BUT Good enough to test your fighter, and give your fighter the oppurtunity to have a resume and say, "I beat so and so"....But its a risky game, cuz in boxing anything can happen, and these guys lose unexpectedly, Fifty is a moron and I would tell his ******ed azz to his face, dont be an overnight boxing fan, and all of a sudden your gonna sign guys like DIRRELL, and GAMBOA, two GREAT fighters, than ruin their careers? You dont even know anything about the sport!

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
      How will Floyd deal with this, when they are supposed to sign with Mayweather's company?
      Im pretty sure Mayweather is behind all this as well...

Comment

More competition = More money for the fighter but also harder to make fights.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
          Im pretty sure Mayweather is behind all this as well...
          Nope, I dissagree, Deandre just got knocked out, Vargas just left the company, he has no fighters, what is he gonna split them with fifty? He prolly wants to focus on his own brand, before trying to create a megabrand, not buying it

Comment

I believe there are a lot of Cubans in ny
            Not really. There are some in New Jersey. Most are in Florida, especially the southern part.

It'll be interesting to see how this venture goes (if it happens at all). I'm of the opinion that boxing needs more big-name promoters. Bring it on.

Comment

Wow good for him, he has his hands in everything, no wonder he is on Forbes list every year, but I am sure it is quietly a Joint Venture with Mayweather though

I think he will be very successful at it, he is known WORLD WIDE so it won't be hard for him to Promote his fighters at all, if anything it will help those fighters get a brand new audience to support them

Comment

Well, this is interesting.

Hopefully it turns out to do well for 50.

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                  How will Floyd deal with this, when they are supposed to sign with Mayweather's company? Not only that, but fifty doesnt even know anything about boxing, they asked him who is favorite fighter was, and the only reason he said gamboa, is because he had just met him and saw him spar at Floyd's gym, and he was thinking hard to come up with a favorite fighter....this is why fifty will fail, because he dont know boxing...U have to groom a fighter, and put them in the ring with a few easy opponents, THEN u put them in with a credible foe, that is NOT so good, that they will kill your fighter, BUT Good enough to test your fighter, and give your fighter the oppurtunity to have a resume and say, "I beat so and so"....But its a risky game, cuz in boxing anything can happen, and these guys lose unexpectedly, Fifty is a moron and I would tell his ******ed azz to his face, dont be an overnight boxing fan, and all of a sudden your gonna sign guys like DIRRELL, and GAMBOA, two GREAT fighters, than ruin their careers? You dont even know anything about the sport!

Comment

Gamboa Unit

Comment

Man u REALLY think its a good Idea, for an OVERNIGHT Casual fan, who does not even know who Gamboa, or dirrell is, to come in and promote them, when Promoting is hard as hell? He MAY think that he is supposed to put them in with bums, to make easy money...thats probably why he is doing it cuz he thinks, "This is easy, put them in with bums and make a profit" then we have these two great fighters, fighting bums..Who knows what he will do, he doesnt know boxing bro...I like fif, but this is BAD, for a casual fan, to all of a sudden jump into this promoter game...I think its horrible and u havnt really put any thought into it yet, I see

Comment

Working...
                      X