Amir Khan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir Khan

IT SEEMS KHAN BELIEVES THE HYPE

Amir Khan is set to leave amateur boxing with less goodwill than he might have expected after his exploits at the Olympics. But it's his own fault.

Last week he pulled out of the ABA Championships on the grounds that he had not been given enough tickets for his entourage.

There is now talk that he will quit the amateur ranks to join Frank Warren's pro stable and strike for glory from there.

He has already reportedly spoken of winning a world title by the age of 21 and retiring as a legend by 25.

His father justified his withdrawal from the ABA's by stating there was nothing for the 18-year-old to prove at the championship.

Really? Khan's senior light-welterweight debut saw him given a bloody nose and dumped on his backside by a journeyman opponent.

He has talent, of that there is no doubt, but he does not have enough experience and my guess is he could pay a price if he moves to the pro ranks too soon.

In his short career so far, hehas had to temporarily move up a division, a worrying sign casting doubt on whether he has the iron discipline every boxing champion needs to put himself through gruelling training schedules.

Had he entered the ABA championships he might have come unstuck and damaged his worth to professional promoters like Warren.

He just seems to be becoming too big for his tasselled boots.

And when that happens in boxing, there's trouble ahead.

"He has already reportedly spoken of winning a world title by the age of 21 and retiring as a legend by 25"

Sounds like something Naz would have said.

exactly and did you see him on superstars? IUm gonna break the record then came last.

i dont like the little **** already.

Kevin mitchell will eat him alive.

Comment

Something about him reminds me of Prince Naseem.

Comment

exaclty and look waht a waste the end of his career became.
        i dont like the way khan is shaping up at all.
        arroganyt and he has done nothing yet compared to others and he seems to think all he has to do to win a world belt is turn up.
        he will find out alright.

Comment

Originally posted by JPW
          exactly and did you see him on superstars? IUm gonna break the record then came last.

i dont like the little **** already.

Kevin mitchell will eat him alive.
          My mates saw him on it and said he done ****
          I saw Frank saying a good match down the road would be Mitchell/Khan but that really would be down the road coz Khan's a lot bigger is he not? anyway he got put on his arse by that youngster and he was really rocking when he got hit, quite a bad knockdown then struggled with another guy so I think he could be in for a big shock in the pro game.

Comment

In khan's defence, the ABA offered him a massive salary to stay amatuer and yet only offered him 10 tickets for his next aba fight. He is supposed to be the poster boy of the amateurs. They should have met his ticket expectations becasue having him as an amatuer is very good for the current miserble amatuer scene.

With regards to his comments, DelaHoya said something similar and not only was it not true, but hehas had an OK (!) career. He is still just a kid and nowhere near arrogant as Naz.

He is much more talented than naz if you put his olympic effort into context!

Comment

And that superstars thing is bull****! Lennox was on the US superstars and did crap in 2000, yet he was the best heavyweight in the world by a mile. Boxers generally done do well on superstars.

Comment

I heard McGuigan was on it as well but I don't know how he got on, the stuff that I saw when Lewis was on it was loads of weights, squats etc. and sprints so I wouldn't expect a heavyweight boxer to beat an NFL player in a sprint coz they don't concentrate on those type of things so I don't think it means anything really just a laugh.

Comment

Khan was reportedly offered £70k per year to stay amateur, this in itself contravenes the true status of amateur. He should have been bloody grateful to get that money and just kept his head down, there's a long time ahead for glory if he turns out as good as he believes. As the ABA show promoter put it" this is about 22 lads, not the Amir Khan show"

Lol

Comment

Yeah Khan, his dad and manager or whoever he was even managed to get a press conference they were having about this matter broadcast live on sky news ain't that important is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X