No announcement yet.

Definition of a sell out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of a sell out

What's your defenition of a sell out? I see people calling Master P and Ice Cube and Snoop sell outs. Now people change as they get older they have different priorities. They open up to different ventures. But what exactly is a sell out? Someone who switches subject matter and starts to do movies. Because Mos Def is one of my favorite artist ever and he has almost completely abandoned rap. He acts now, and it seems as he got bored with rap and he's basically a full time actor. But I don't consider him a sell out. And I don't really believe in sell outs. What yah think?

Originally posted by lefhooktodabody View Post
    What's your defenition of a sell out? I see people calling Master P and Ice Cube and Snoop sell outs. Now people change as they get older they have different priorities. They open up to different ventures. But what exactly is a sell out? Someone who switches subject matter and starts to do movies. Because Mos Def is one of my favorite artist ever and he has almost completely abandoned rap. He acts now, and it seems as he got bored with rap and he's basically a full time actor. But I don't consider him a sell out. And I don't really believe in sell outs. What yah think?
    Lefthook, alot of heads don't know this but unlike most people, MosDef is actually an actor turned rapper. He was an actor first, he co starred in the Cosby Mysteries television show and was in various commercials before he turned to rapping.

Comment

There's no such thing. Any man has the right to do whatever he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuggers1986 View Post
        There's no such thing. Any man has the right to do whatever he wants.
        exactly.and the 1s callin them sellouts r haters.why u going to hate on a man for gettin his hustle on for that paper. while they may call them sellouts there nephews and nieces and cousins and brothers and sisters r watching there "sellout" movies and listening them there"sellout" songs on the radio.Its like they want them to continue doing **** that isnt making them money ne more so they can be poor.

Comment

Really its dumb, but people view someone as a sellout if they expand their horizons and branch off in to other avenues of artistic expression.

The more successful you are, the more of a sellout you are. You have to be an unsuccessful, underground mixtape rapper who isn't a household name for you to not be a sellout. Obviously unfair critic from fans. And stupid as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrappy Diggs View Post
            Really its dumb, but people view someone as a sellout if they expand their horizons and branch off in to other avenues of artistic expression.

The more successful you are, the more of a sellout you are. You have to be an unsuccessful, underground mixtape rapper who isn't a household name for you to not be a sellout. Obviously unfair critic from fans. And stupid as well.
            very.you will meet some of those ppl that say that on here

Comment

There is no definition. Making money is essential to life. If a rapper puts out a couple of great albums and then goes on to different things in life (Cube) then let em be. Besides, Cube has been in 3 classic movies. It's all about fans being selfish.

Comment

A Sellout is a person that will sacrifice their personal beliefs and morals to be monetarily or socially successful?
                For example all the Gangsta rappers are sellouts... Rapping about killing and selling drugs is the same as killing people and selling drugs...You are promoting negativity just to have fame and money...That is bull****! The influence of drugs ruins lives, just like the influence of negative music ruins young lives...

Comment

Originally posted by Living Legend View Post
                  A Sellout is a person that will sacrifice their personal beliefs and morals to be monetarily or socially successful?
                  For example all the Gangsta rappers are sellouts... Rapping about killing and selling drugs is the same as killing people and selling drugs...You are promoting negativity just to have fame and money...That is bull****! The influence of drugs ruins lives, just like the influence of negative music ruins young lives...

I agree with your first sentence.

But a 'gangsta rapper' who comes into the game as just that, and stays that way does not make him a sellout. They're not just rapping about killing and selling drugs, they're rapping about their experiences, to be taken with a grain of salt. Its not a rappers job to raise people's kids.

Thats what parenting is for. That argument goes out the window, because all kids should be taught the difference between right and wrong, by their parents not a rap album.

The rap you speak of will always exist...

Why ?

Because those situations and environments are real. On whether or not you believe a particular artist is going through them, is questionable. But they do exist.

And as long as they do, there will be people willing to pay to hear those stories and experiences.

Just like the news that everyone watches on TV, 98% of the news is tragic news, and people love to hear about it. Just the way of the world. Tragedy is entertainment.

Comment

The word's used too often nowadays. A true sellout example would be a black person voluntarily fighting for the Confederates back in teh day, or a black spy who was a snitch for the Apartheid govt in S.A - you get the idea. The thing that pisses me off most nowadays are the people who say 1 thing and lambast it, then come back and do that exact same thing. Ma$e and 50 Cent are cases in point.

Comment

Working...
                    X