Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trainers, how do you feel about someone going to a different gym?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainers, how do you feel about someone going to a different gym?

I don't really come to forums for advice on these kinda things but I don't know what to do and if this would be an issue.

I'm gonna try and keep this as short as possible.

So I used to box for about 2yrs at a good gym. They gave me my foundation and taught me a lot. It was a ~30min drive from where I live (sometimes 50 because traffic) but I was still there all the time. I'd train 2-3 hrs a day and listen to everything I was told, never once had an issue and was game for anything. The trainers there even offered to give me a fight despite being too old to be any kind of serious contender (mid twenties now), I guess mainly off of the fact that I was usually always putting in work.

However, shoulder problems, life issues, and commuting problems (lost my car basically) made it impossible for me to work like I used to, and it wasn't long until I stopped going altogether and basically fell out of contact with everyone there.

Now, I can train again and my transportation issues aren't as bad. Only problem is its been almost 2 yrs since I've been there and I don't know how much has changed, not to mention I'm still not going to be able to make the 30 min drive all the time.

I've been thinking of going to another reputable gym that is much bigger, 15 minutes away from me, & easier to get to. Only problem is I was in good standing with the other gym and don't wanna mess up any relationships or anything like that. I liked them a lot. They taught me a good deal about boxing, and I'd hate to actually fall out with them over something like this. Especially since there's always the possibility that I may go back there.

Would trainers care if they saw someone they worked with go to another gym? How much of an issue would this be?

I left my first gym to years ago i remember my coach was really disappointed because i moved to the gym that was like the biggest competition.

Comment

I would never have a problem with anyone in your situation.
      If you have respect for the gym owner explain your current development and just move on.
      Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        I would never have a problem with anyone in your situation.
        If you have respect for the gym owner explain your current development and just move on.
        Ray
        It's good to see that you still post here haha, I always looked forward to the knowledge you dropped.

Thanks for the response

Comment

Anybody else?

Comment

I bounced around from gym to gym, it was the best thing for me because every trainer has strengths and weaknesses. My first trainer gave me an amazng technical base, but after years I needed fresh ideas.

And some trainers will see you doing something wrong another trainer won't see.

I think the big problem is when a trainer trains someone for years and than they all of a sudden leave them, after a long established relationship. It takes a lot of work amd patience to build a good boxer, that has to be really hard on trainers.

Comment

If you didn't fight for them and represent like that, shouldn't worry about nothing. This is far more common than you think. It's actually way more common to see worse cases when it comes to gym bunnies. I can guarantee this wouldn't be your coach's/gym's first time, so it's not as significant as you think.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
                If you didn't fight for them and represent like that, shouldn't worry about nothing.
                I agree with this, representing the club is a little different. But whatever, life gets in the way sometimes, ALWAYS be upfront with the coach - they will appreciate knowing what the situation is

Comment

I've bounced around from gym to gym and I think the coaches get disappointed but at the end of the day if they're not being selfish they'll understand what's best for you.

Comment

I mean, it's been two years and sounds like you just trained there, nothing else. Shouldn't be a problem, especially since it doesn't sound like you're gonna be competing against them.

Comment

Working...
                    X