Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pivot when throwing the jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was taught to pivot on the jab myself.

Comment

just my opinion is that if you practice not pivoting when jabbing it could improve the speed of your pivoted jab or atleast it seems like it should...maybe some one else has thought the same thing but it seems like my pivoted jab is alot faster then it was before i started to make an effort not to pivot.

Comment

jab isnt a power punch, the jab should be launched from a straight line right down the pipe, and you step with the jab, thats boxing fundamentals.

Comment

I think I just added another technique in the tool shed for me as a Boxer.

Comment

Why not add both to you arsenal pivot when you want a stiff jab to knock their head back
            And don't pivot when you just want to flick it out and piss them off

Comment

its just that if you pivot with it, its a left straight as its similar upper body movement as a right straight.

heres the often watched analyzing genius charley burley video, at 4:40 they discuss how charley had diffrent weapons for targets, weapon #1 the straight left or as some know it the pivoted jab.

http://youtu.be/81non05aKX4

if you want to make a jab powerful you step with it, if you want to throw something powerful from an odd angle, or follow up a straight right, throw a left straight.

nothing wrong with it, just that its not a jab, its a left straight.

a jab isnt telegraphed, step with it, flick it, bounce back to make space that step in real quick, hold it 5 inches from your opponets face, what ever kind of jab its not telegraphed, when you pivot your right shoulder into the jab it becomes telegraphed, and i dont consider it a jab any more.
              Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 04-25-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

If you pivot with your left foot its a hook!! You should be coming back with a right hand to be able to pivot with your right foot, When you use pivot moves in punching or defense you need to get you feet straight on again. If not you'll be in a profile and/or out of balance. The pivot with a straight shot (jab) was taught when your in close range definetely NOT from the outside moving in. Again following it up with a right hand in combination. I was taught by some very knowledgable trainers and trained boxers for many years and never taught a pivot in coordination with throwing a jab on the outside or inside! Stepping with the jab can be done many different ways from multiple jabs to quick jabs to power jabs and set ups! Learning to jab effectively is an art into itself and when I had a young man with the ability to offer multiple jabs I spent his entire career perfecting it. If your not "first with the jab" chances are you can't box worth a lick! Its not how it looks its all about effectiveness, its offense and defence within one punch. Ray

Comment

it depends on how much you pivot and what you pivot, I only pivot my shoulders until my arm is fully extended and straight with my shoulders to increase range it's also good practice for when you actually fight because you don't throw your maximum distance so you throw slightly faster.

Comment

Working...
                  X