Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have any Iraqi / middle eastern friends?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
    Ahh ic. Long story short, My best friend invited his middle eastern friend straight from Kuwait. Supposedly this Mohammed guy is a son of Royalty but because his dad is an iraqi and his mom is from kuwait, Him and his mom got exiled from the family. His dad has like 4 other wives.

Well this Mohammed seems to be really wealthy and he wants to do business together. He says his muslim connection will make us fortunes and my buddy vouches for this guy.

But it just feels kinda awkward cuz i never had any middle eastern friends and im not sure if i can trust him?
    Do the same due diligence you'd do with any potential business partner. But like I said, if you can get in their circle they'll keep giving you business.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
      Oh us Indians have this tendency of using an endearing term just to appease the customer to get his business and I see a lot of them using it back in India.

May be I should start using it to get work done from my team mates in office.
      You definitely should, "Buddy"!

Comment

Not many that I'm all that close with

Some Bangali friends tho.

Comment

I'm Middle Eastern and when I lived in California probably about half of my friends were. I live in the Pacific Northwest nowadays, so not as many.

How are they/we: I would say half of us are very modest/conservative people who have mixed the traditions of our own cultures with old-school stoic American frontier ethics and found that they have more in common than not.

The other half tend to wear lots of jewelry, embrace "hip hop" culture, embrace oppression theory, and are trying really hard to seem "exotic" and "gangsta". The females usually have big butt-themed instagrams.

Even within a family you will see this awkward disconnect between two branches that went down those different paths; one seeking to combine two traditions, the other throwing tradition out the window completely & taking the easy road: Generic urban minority.

Circulating money within the ethnic group & cutting off outsiders is pretty universal. You would have seen the same thing among the first waves of Italians or Germans into the US as you do now with Syrians and Koreans.

In most of the world this was just a matter of survival & security, the same as the tradition of father's choosing a husband for their daughters, etc.

These practices fade away as wealth increases and they are just seen as racist or misogynistic by people who don't understand how hard life was for their grandparents.

So sadly most of these guys will abandon the practice & leave their grandchildren living in a mobile home, but at least they will be social activists!

Among both Middle Eastern & European groups, Jews have that unique knack for keeping this practice alive even after being in a country for many generations (because their religion is non-universalizing & quite inseparable from heritage).
          Last edited by ////; 10-23-2018, 12:50 AM.

Comment

I have a colleague at work who is from Tripoli.

She's smoking hot too and I would tap that if given the chance but she doesn't seem like the type of girl who does one nights (who knows) - still I wouldn't go there because it would be bad for business and I've been in one nights before and girls usually get emotionally involved which isn't something I want. She's a uni graduate, family orientated, doesn't drink alcohol, not sure about her religion - I asked her she was Muslim, she said no she isn't and that she eats bacon.

I also know a dude of acquaintance from a friend and he plays WoW who is Iraqi. Cool dude, relaxed, friendly and quite macho - used to smoke pot with him.

They seem very modest, family oriented and have a rich outlook in life.
            Last edited by Quiksilva; 10-23-2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Never had an Iraqi friend. I did have a classmate at community college who I did projects with in Geography class. Seemed like a decent dude, even though he truly believed Earth is only 5000 years old. I knew another guy from Iran, he was funny as f**k. He was tall and ripped and used to work as a prison guard. He looked the role, but had such a goofy harmless personality.

I had two Middle Eastern friends in high school. They were cool and I smoked weed with one of them. They were immigrants from Saudi Arabia, but they were so Americanized even though they had thick accents. They loved NBA, video games and hip hop. They claimed to be Muslim, but weren't conservative at all. I don't even think their parents were that serious about religion.

Comment

You can't trust em.

Comment

middle eastern/turkish/armenian people are cool af they know how to party too, most underrated people you can chill with by far... the women tho good lawdd

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
                    No........... Though they used to call me "my friend" when I went to their store, we never really hung out like normal friends do.
                    Made me laugh

Comment

Technically anyone outside of the usa is an A-rab.

Comment

Working...
                      X