No announcement yet.

Dempsey-Firpo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dempsey-Firpo

In my opinion, Jack Dempsey vs. Luis Firpo is by far the most overrated fight in the history of boxing. Basically a total one sided beating except for a very short rally by Firpo. Not a terrible fight, but no where near an all time classic.

I actually agree. It was a heavily hyped spectacle. The actual goods were exciting but nothing to rate on the all-time lists

Comment

Before I read your reply I was that your name was Dempseyfire and I expected to get a giant insult post. LOL, nice to see I'm not alone about this fight.

Comment

And as a side note, I think anytime you're rating a fight on a scale of 0-100, if one of the guys get's knocked out of the ring, you have to add 10 points automatically, cause that's just awesome.
        Also if I remember right, the ring only had two ropes per side, which is why he got thrown out.

Comment

plus its hard to compare that style with modern styles (60's to present)

Comment

The fight itself isn't as famous as the punch from Firpo that knocked Dempsey on the reporters table and the following count that only started when Jamck was back in the ring.

Plus, the era of Dempsey brought a new level of hype with it. At least in the United States. They sayed about Firpo that he knocked out bulls in the Pampa. For this fight the media machine was really rolling.

The fight itself is a onesided beatdown. But then again there was this one punch ...

Comment

That's pretty funny about knocking out bulls. I wonder if that's even possible. I remember Roberto Duran says he knocked out a horse to impress a girl. I also heard Duran knocked out one of his opponent's mom when she tried to break up the fight.

Comment

In my opinion, Jack Dempsey vs. Luis Firpo is by far the most overrated fight in the history of boxing. Basically a total one sided beating except for a very short rally by Firpo. Not a terrible fight, but no where near an all time classic.
                I agree with you too!

Comment

Damn....I'm glad others share my opinion on this....an incredibly overrated fight.

Right on with the one-sided nature making this a not-so-great fight.

Also....when Firpo knocked Dempsey through the ropes, it looked more like he pushed him, than punched him. It was ugly as hell.

Firpo kept flooping up & down from punches that didn't look like much.
                  Maybe it's the way this fight was filmed that makes those punches look less than devastating....but it's all I can go on, besides the word of historians who are caught up in the nostalgic hyperbole of this fight.

Comment

firpo, that's a funny name

Comment

Working...
                    X