Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a fighter lose punching power with age?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 46-0 View Post
    Joe Calzaghe
    Marco Antonio Barrera
    Roy Jones Jr.

Those are 3 of the more notable examples. I have often heard the saying that the last thing to leave a fighter is his punch, but is that actually true? There is 3 fighters who scored alot of knockouts throughout their careers but then after reaching early 30's the stoppages seemed to... stop coming. This is not an isolated thing, it happens to many fighters.

Any thoughts?
    roy was still knocking ppl out at 34
    so was ali
    and foreman......
    if anything u lose speed, which generated power in a way..

Comment

Originally posted by strugler View Post
      George Foreman was still pretty strong?
      He still has the power till this day. I would favor him over Wlad in a heartbeat.

Prime for Prime that is......

Comment

eventually, a fighter loses everything with age, and i feel power really is the last thing to go.

Comment

I always said the same thing, usually when people argued that Joe Calzaghe got knocked down by "old" Hopkins and Jones. My argument was "So what? The last thing a fighter loses is his punch, so how come you're surprised?".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Originally posted by S a m u r a i View Post
            I always said the same thing, usually when people argued that Joe Calzaghe got knocked down by "old" Hopkins and Jones. My argument was "So what? The last thing a fighter loses is his punch, so how come you're surprised?".
            so you honestly believe thyre power is the same as when they were younger?

Comment

Originally posted by megadude View Post
              I think hopkins is hitting harder than ever at light heavy

Comment

Originally posted by MELLY-MEL... View Post
                eventually, a fighter loses everything with age, and i feel power really is the last thing to go.
                Couldn't agree more Mel. Look at Foreman as a great example of that.

Comment

Originally posted by megadude View Post
                  Did I say "it's the same"? No. But can they still bang? Of course. I guess you're one of those who says "LOL Calslappy got knocked on his ass by old men! ROFL!!!!!1 Pwn".

These are / were elite fighters, some of the very best in the world. Of course they know how to punch. So why is it out of the question that they shouldn't occasionally be knocking people down?

Calzaghe = down in the 1st.
                  Tito = down twice.
                  Hanshaw = down in the 11th.

Jones still has some pop.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
                  Last edited by S A M U R A I; 02-12-2009, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Did I say "it's the same"? No. But can they still bang? Of course.
                    righ then...

Comment

Did I say "it's the same"? No. But can they still bang? Of course. I guess you're one of those who says "LOL Calslappy got knocked on his ass by old men! ROFL!!!!!1 Pwn".

These are / were elite fighters, some of the very best in the world. Of course they know how to punch. So why is it out of the question that they shouldn't occasionally be knocking people down?
                      rofl?? pwn?? i have no idea what your typin
                      and no, i dont think i've ever said that...

Comment

Working...
                      X