Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Higher ATG: Rocky Marciano or George Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher ATG: Rocky Marciano or George Foreman?

Rocky Marciano
    49-0, 43 KOs

George Foreman
    76-5, 68 KOs

Both guys are solid top 5 Heavyweigt Atgs in my opinion, but regardless of where you have them ranked, whose career do you give the edge to?

This is not about who would win in a Head 2 Head matchup! Judge them on their accomplishments in the ring, and state your criteria.
    George Foreman
    60.00%
    Rocky Marciano
    32.00%
    Too close to call
    8.00%

George Foreman....And in a head to head match-up would be murder.

Comment

Foreman achieved more.

Has a better resume with fighters closer to their prime. Ability wise Prime Foreman is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Morales_ View Post
        Foreman achieved more.

Has a better resume with fighters closer to their prime. Ability wise Prime Foreman is better.
        I think people seriously overlook the extreme discipline it takes to go undefeated as a top fighter, especially in the Heavyweight division where one punch can end it all.

To this day no one has been able to touch Marciano's record in any weight class and for that, I think he deserves a permanent residence in the top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
          I think people seriously overlook the extreme discipline it takes to go undefeated as a top fighter, especially in the Heavyweight division where one punch can end it all.

To this day no one has been able to touch Marciano's record in any weight class and for that, I think he deserves a permanent residence in the top 5.
          Joe Louis, Jack Johnson, Ali, Foreman and Holmes all rank higher than Marciano.

Comment

I know that Foreman was bigger, but the difference between the two is the way Foreman did not have that will to win. There is no way that Marciano would have fall like he did against Ali and Ali is my ATG HW. A Marciano who hated to lose so much would have found a way to land a one timer and at least would have give a fight to the great Ali. Please dont tell me that Marciano was not able to KO a big man, its just not fair, Marciano had that only one punch that few man will ever have. I respect your opinion, respect mine.

Comment

foreman would kill marciano head to head, but marciano has like twice as many title fights...

Comment

I think George as he won the title when he was 24 against Frazier, and 21 years later when 45 against Moorer. Plus he showed heart in coming back against Zaire.

Yeah, he didn't win the title after his Zaire, but he won fighter of the year in 1976 and fight of the year against Ron Lyle. Ali dodged him too after Zaire. This before his religious experience.

On a fight between the 2, it would be Foreman-Frazier Fight 1, Part 2. I could see marciano being stopped spectacularly early on. Only thing is Marciano is a lighter Frazier, so I can see Foreman lifting Rocky off his feet and over the ropes to end it

Comment

P4P I favor Marciano .
                  In terms of legacy it is close :
                  Marciano undefeated but was also never tested against much bigger quality opposition and his top opponents were older than himself , sometimes even significantly so while Foreman also untested against much bigger (hard to find) quality opposition , was defeated although I excuse the Ali loss (loosened ropes helped to absorb his punches) but much less if at all the Young loss . Foreman actually outdid Ali so if you pick Ali's legacy over Marciano's and you are reasonable then you should pick Foreman's legacy over Marciano as well.

Comment

I've got Foreman 6th and Marciano 10th all time. I think George beat the better heavyweights and his winning the title again at 45 is huge. Rocky's 49-0 is impressive to say the least, and he cleaned out his division, but he lacks any great prime fighters such as Norton and Frazier. This is just my opinion. I could respect an opinion in the other direction though I'd disagree.

Comment

Working...
                    X