Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali vs Stevenson 1976

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every person on this forum knows that if the situation were suddenly somehow made real and they were forced to bet their childrens' lives on the outcome, that their money would damned well go on Ali to smash the Cuban. I say every person on here knows this, and those who claim not to are either liars or lack enough imagination to form a simple picture.

That does not mean these things cannot be discussed or that all debate is gone from them. It means what I said. Every person here, forced to bet their childrens' lives on the outcome, would favor Ali to dispatch the big amateur.

Comment

Well said and of course.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        Every person on this forum knows that if the situation were suddenly somehow made real and they were forced to bet their childrens' lives on the outcome, that their money would damned well go on Ali to smash the Cuban. I say every person on here knows this, and those who claim not to are either liars or lack enough imagination to form a simple picture.

That does not mean these things cannot be discussed or that all debate is gone from them. It means what I said. Every person here, forced to bet their childrens' lives on the outcome, would favor Ali to dispatch the big amateur.
        ^^^^^^ here, here

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          He lost the hunger early on, only chased money.
          Also getting stopped by Terence Crawford seemed to have something to do with him losing the hunger as well. Kind of like Tyson after his first loss. Lost motivation after he no longer felt invincible.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Also getting stopped by Terence Crawford seemed to have something to do with him losing the hunger as well. Kind of like Tyson after his first loss. Lost motivation after he no longer felt invincible.
            His career took a turn for the worse when he withdrew from Brandon Rios fight

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
              Do you have that quote anywhere; I would love to read Duran telling off Fidel.
              Its in durans bio the new one with him posing both books about chollo good read

Comment

Wow Stevenson sold short here!

I have to be the contrarian here, but I am not playing devil's advocate. First we have to make some assumptions: There is a training period, a set of rounds and rules that meets both guys half way. So lets say Stevenson trains for a ten round fight with Ali, or some other such situation where both guys have somewhat equal footing.

First off while the ammy style is not liked by many, the Cubans were masters at it. They were incredible technical fighters.
                they were tough and we see today that even at the end of their twilight they are always well prepared professionals.

Stevenson had the power of a great heavyweight, the speed of a middle weight and was every bit as athletically special as the greatest himself. Ali himself thought as much, for what it is worth.

I think Stevenson could have been a challenge for Ali. Ali fought very durable pressure guys, he fought guys who hit like mules, but Stevenson was as fast as Ali imo. I believe both guys would have their moments, and I would call it a toss up.

Should say also: Most of the knock on Stevenson is the style he fought and what he would do when facing a professional styled fighter. Well, if Cuban's fell apart when becoming professionals, its news to me! most seem to adapt well, very well in fact. I am aware that today the professional ranks has adapted a more amatuer looking style...but still. There is no reason to think the difference of style would cause Stephenson more problems than stevenson's speed and footwork would cause Ali.
                Last edited by billeau2; 10-10-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  --- Brownie not half the athlete Wilt was and not trained by Cus.
                  I don't know about that.

Jim Brown excelled in football, basketball, track, and lacrosse while attending college at Syracuse University.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Well, if Cuban's fell apart when becoming professionals, its news to me! most seem to adapt well, very well in fact.
                    I believe Cubans would’ve been vastly more successful in the pro rings if they hadn’t fallen for temptations. It’s such a huge step coming from Cuba to the ‘glamorous’ US. Suddenly, all and everything is possible for you to achieve – if you have the money. If it will make you happier is another question …

Leaving the topic, found this interesting in The Ring magazine: a story about the Ali vs. Spinks rematch in which sports columnist Mike Marley, at the time a Las Vegas Sun reporter, is quoted:
                    “[Before the fight] Greg Page, Tony Tubbs and Michael Dokes were his [Ali’s] sparring partners. He would just rope-a-dope and let them pound on him. I don’t think that did him any good.”

That brain surely had to sustain a lot.

Comment

Stevenson had no experience in the pro's so Ali wins

Comment

Working...
                      X