Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here seen Sugar Ray Robinson fight live? How was he?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bump......

Comment

bump.........

Comment

No Ive never seen him live which is why I cant rank him at # 1 of all time. I always chuckle when a young-middle aged fan starts raving about black and white fighters like Harry greb and gene tunney. How can you rate somebody who youve never seen before? By reading articles and hearing stories from grandfathers makes ya some expert now?

I dont talk about prehistoric fighters for this reason. I cant properly assess a fighter who ive never seen live. Few minutes of black and white clips are not good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
          No Ive never seen him live which is why I cant rank him at # 1 of all time. I always chuckle when a young-middle aged fan starts raving about black and white fighters like Harry greb and gene tunney. How can you rate somebody who youve never seen before? By reading articles and hearing stories from grandfathers makes ya some expert now?

I dont talk about prehistoric fighters for this reason. I cant properly assess a fighter who ive never seen live. Few minutes of black and white clips are not good enough.
          Sugar Ray was the man back in the day. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
            I'm having trouble finding people who have actually seen him fight live. Anyone hear seen him? Watching footage sometimes doesn't tell the entire story. Was he really 5'11? That's extremely tall for a welter.

Would love to hear.

Guy, you have a 6'1 welter weight champ legend in your avatar.

I respect your persistence though on finding an old timer, so here's a good luck bump.

Comment

bump......

Comment

Originally posted by dot.c.eh View Post
                Guy, you have a 6'1 welter weight champ legend in your avatar.

I respect your persistence though on finding an old timer, so here's a good luck bump.
                Thanks, Just hoping I can find at least one person here who saw him fight live.

Comment

I admire your persistence but I'm curious to know what you are looking to get out of this? What kind of answers are you hoping to get and are you trying to make some kind of article or documentation? I feel like a boxing forum, especially as troll-ridden as this one, would be the least likely place to come across an old timer who has even seen SRR live, let alone still be around today.

You're not going to get any serious answers on here unfortunately. But I do hope you find someone who has because I myself would have want to meet someone who has seen guys like Willie Pep or Ezzard Charles live.
                  Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 11-25-2019, 12:15 PM.
                  Ray* Ray* likes this.

Comment

i remember reading a post from IronDanHamza once about some poster on here who has seen srr fight live

that was years ago tho

Comment

My 3rd cousin on downs great great great grandfather actually was a big big boxing fan and has seen Ray Robinson fight in New York twice!

Sadly I won’t be able to get any POV info from him due to dementia and I was too young to care about asking of what he experienced!

I could ask his my uncle who was around him growing up but not sure if he knows anything!

Sad that we have no tape of him in his prime as a welterweight where he was unstoppable!

Comment

Working...
                      X