No announcement yet.

Is Danny Garcia FULL Puerto Rican?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    So if a full blooded black couple move to China and happen to have a child there, the child would be Chinese?

I understand you guys are trolling, but on a serious note...I think it's important to understand the difference between race, nationality and culture.

Mikey Garcia, Antonio Margarito, Oscar De Lahoya are all 100% Mexican race. Meaning their parents are from Mexico and where there blood line comes from.

Culturally, Margarito is mostly Mexican as he was raised in Tijuana. Oscar would be mostly be Mexican/American by culture because he was raised in Los Angeles by Mexican parents.

Nationality is strictly where you are born, but being born in the U.S means nothing other than what passport you have. In reality, it's your blood and culture that matter more.

Mikey Garcia's brother, and father have raised them as Mexicans. They listen to Mexican music, partake in Mexican culture and their father doesn't even speak English.

So it's NOT where you are born, but what blood and culture you carry. There's a reason Mikey comes in the ring with a Mexican flag.

As far as Danny Garcia, I don't really know how Puerto Rican he is culturally. It seems to me like he's very American, inner city Philly kid.
    He is a half Ethnic Puerto Rican born in the United Sates and who is more culturally African American.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      As far as Danny Garcia, I don't really know how Puerto Rican he is culturally. It seems to me like he's very American, inner city Philly kid.

Yup, it definitely seems like he's just an American inner city Philly kid, which is why i voted no.
      Last edited by UTEP; 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by E.P.T. View Post
        Yup, it definitely seems like he's just an American inner city Philly kid, which is why i voted no.
        Ethnically he is Half Puerto Rican Half Anglo, Nationality wise he is American even though I bet no Anglo would consider him just an American based on his Half Puerto Rican descent and Spanish surname. They would say he is Puerto Rican American.

To me he is not Puerto Rican because his father did not raise him following Puerto Rican traditions, values and norms. He behaves more like a ethnic inner city African American.

Comment

Originally posted by RIZO24 View Post
          Ethnically he is Half Puerto Rican Half Anglo, Nationality wise he is American even though I bet no Anglo would consider him just an American based on his Half Puerto Rican descent and Spanish surname. They would say he is Puerto Rican American.

To me he is not Puerto Rican because his father did not raise him following Puerto Rican traditions, values and norms. He behaves more like a ethnic inner city African American.

Damn he's half Anglo? How the hell can anybody vote yes if he's half Anglo?

Comment

TS has put a lot of effort in letting us know or at least trying to convince us , that Danny Garcia is not FULL Puerto Rican.

Comment

Originally posted by YOKOMOHOYO View Post
              TS has put a lot of effort in letting us know or at least trying to convince us , that Danny Garcia is not FULL Puerto Rican.
              I bet if Danny lost to Mathysse ts or the rest mexican/americans would say he is 100% Rican. But since Danny proved he is a great fighter... now Rican haters come out & say he is not Rican.

Comment

Originally posted by PiXelElite View Post
                I bet if Danny lost to Mathysse ts or the rest mexican/americans would say he is 100% Rican. But since Danny proved he is a great fighter... now Rican haters come out & say he is not Rican.
                Yeah you know , at least he is not hiding behind his agenda. I was watching the Mathysse/Garcia fight with some Cubans and Mexicans and they were saying before the fight "El Boricua vs a perder , el Boricua va a perder" and as the fight went on they started saying , yeah he doesn't speak Spanish , he doesn't consider himself Puerto Rican. And I told them he has a huge P.R flag in his gym painted on the wall and a nice tribute of some great Rican fighters for someone who doesn't consider himself Rican and then that awkward embarrassment silence took over.

I really couldn't care less. It's just the effort and emphasis they put on it. It blows my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by RIZO24 View Post
                  He is as Puerto Rican as Cameron Diaz is Cuban or Selena Gomez being Mexican. Plus he is half Puerto Rican descent because his mother is Anglo.
                  It does not matter where you are born but you have to embrace a certain cultures values and norms to be part of that culture.

You can be full Ethnic Mexican like Mark Sanchez or Mario Lopez, meaning that they come from direct Mexican lines, but they will not be accepted into that culture if they do not follow the custom and values.

You can be third or fourth generation Mexican-American and not speak a single word of Spanish, eat tortillas or follow any Mexican traditions and still be Ethnic Mexican but you are no longer culturally Mexican. But If you are third or fourth generation Mexican- American and try to speak Spanish, eat tortillas or Mexican foods, and consider yourself full Mexican, then you are a full Mexican, Ethnically and Culturally.

**** all that about Nationality, especially here in the United States, they don't consider you a full American unless you are white, they call us Mexican-American.

I feel sorry for the idiots who try to act all white and turn their back on their Mexican roots because at the end of the day, secretly, their white friends, co-workers, and bosses still consider them Mexicans
                  This is deep man. I'm a 3rd gen Brit of Pakistani blood. I cant really speak the language fluently and dont follow most the customs. So I'm Pakistani but in a very real way we are now more 'British'. No one from a foreign culture can keep it it fully a sea of another culture after 3-4 generations.

Its likely my kids, when I have some, may not even identify with Pakistan beyond a dot on a map. I'm sure hyphenated- Americans have the same issues as 'hyphenated' Brits.

Comment

Maniac, Cotto se crio en PR. Tiene casas en PR. El nacio en Rhode Island, pero al igual que mucho de nosotros, nuestros padres nos mudaron a PR. El es boricua, al igual que yo. Donde nacimos no importa, fue la cultura que nos enseñaron la que definio nuestras vidas.

Por Danny, sus padres son boricuas. No se de donde Rizo saca que la madre no es boricua porque Danny dice que el es 100% boricua. Pero considerarlo como campeon boricua? No lo considero. El tipo esta criado en el mismo ambiente que mis sobrinos y muchos de mis primos. Ellos entienden cuando le hablan español, comen todo lo que comemos nosotros, pero no conocen de PR ni de su historia. Ni le interesa. Ellos son felices con su crianza americanizada.

Mala de los boricuas que se ofenden con nosotros los de la isla pero si no saben lo que es la Borinqueña y creen que ser jibaro es ser del campo, les falta mucho por aprender de PR. Y al igual que Danny solo llevan la sangre.

At least he should try what Omar Henry did. Come to PR and mingle here. Let people know you embrace your culture. Gabriel Rosado is doing it right now and he at least try to communicate in spanish. Victor Cruz, who is not 100% fully rep PR as his culture. ****ing Carmelo Anthony have a tatoo in his hand of the flag and comes to PR yearly to help the poor communities. Guys from our national basketball team are second generation from the US and love competing here.

Personally, I think his father told him that we are shtty fans that will not support him in defeat. I dont blame him for repping his hood.

Comment

danny garcia is like what Robert Guerrero Brandon Rios and V Ortiz are to mexicans...

Comment

Working...
                      X