No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto Ring Return Being Positioned For June 24

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pieces are starting to fall into place

With Ward-Kovalev II penciled in for June 17th on PPV, Roc Nation can then pair the re-air of Ward-Kovalev with a Miguel Cotto spectacle fight (to then set up a final blockbuster for Miguel Cotto).

Comment

Originally posted by bigjer88 View Post
      The only way for Miguel to shut up the haters will be to FINALLY take on Brian Sutherland. Miguel's been ducking that guy for too long.
      Miguel don't want the work

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        They need to call Bradley. Or try Kirkland again despite the risk his flakiness brings. Idk that anything else will get much attention from fans.
        Golovkin should fight him instead of BJS.

A CW of 157 would be fair.

Not sure if Cotto wants that work and if K2bias wants to drop weight; be the B side.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
          Golovkin should fight him instead of BJS.

A CW of 157 would be fair.

Not sure if Cotto wants that work and if K2bias wants to drop weight; be the B side.
          LOL yea I'm guessing Cotto isn't on board with that. He seemed to have less interest in fighting GGG back when he had the title than Canelo has at any point since. I think Cotto is looking for a keep busy type guy or some name who's smaller than him on PPV. Bradley or Kirkland again seem like the obvious choices to me. Assuming of course Bradley is willing to move up & they wanna risk trusting Kirkland again which I could fully understand them not wanting to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
            With Ward-Kovalev II penciled in for June 17th on PPV, Roc Nation can then pair the re-air of Ward-Kovalev with a Miguel Cotto spectacle fight (to then set up a final blockbuster for Miguel Cotto).

Good point on Ward-Kovalev II June 17th. So looks like a PPV opponent for Cotto may be out of the question with Ward-Kov taking place. I know in the article they mentioned that they weren't sure if Cotto's fight would be on regular TV or PPV. Looks like it will be on regular cable TV. Hopefully it gets put on HBO.

Comment

Cotto is NOT fighting GGG. The fight will sell but not because of GGG.

He'd essentially be fighting a huge boogeyman with an average successful PPV with triple the hurt.

Why do that in a comeback fight after a year and a half and when you can make a more financially successful bout with JMM and--worst case scenario--lose a decision or get stopped on accumulation.

If GGG as much as breathes on Cotto, it's a wrap.

Eff it, I laughed at first but I think boxingscene is on to something:

If all else fails, make Cotto/Margarito 3 strictly for a grudge match money maker in Vegas. Neither one would let the other win by KO, going all out, with genuine disdain.

I think this would make more money on PPV than GGG, Márquez, or Bradley.

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
                Cotto will be coming off of the longest layoff of his career by the time he gets back. They haven't been able to secure an opponent becauser there isn't a big enough draw to warrant a major payday without risking an L. RocNation unfortunately got itself in a bind when they tried to act like Showtime with Floyd by offering Cotto a staggering amount of money by signing with them and now they're scrambling to find lucrative opponents. The way I see it is the following:

1. Re-engage with Kirkland. Winnable fight for a layoff, put a co-feature bout in there and guaranteed action with the main event in the Garden before the PR day parade=$$$$

2. Juan Manuel Márquez=marketable name, PR/Mexican rivalry, beatable considering Cotto being the bigger guy and a bigger puncher against a very hittable, much older, highly inactive, fighting out of his weight class Márquez. It would be akin to Jones, Jr./Tito Trinidad, only difference is that the PR fighter would be favored. Maybe Cotto cuts him some slack and only makes him blow up to 150. Joke of a fight really and I honestly don't see Márquez taking the bait.

3. Timothy Bradley=also beatable but the guy doesn't have a huge fanbase. Also, like Márquez, he'd be fighting out of his weight class. Bradley being younger and a little bit more active, Cotto would perhaps make him go up to the full 154. Bradley's power by then will have dissipated. Less money, but the leadt riskiest. That's my take on it.

None of them are opponents that's going to put Cotto on the pound for pound list, but if it were me, Kirkland would've been a great action fight, decent money, and a win over a good middleweight puncher.

Crossing my fingers for something good. If they make something questionable like Cotto/Martirosyan, I might just throw up in my mouth a little.
                This really has nothing to do with a purely winnable opponent. As we've seen from his career, Cotto will fight anybody win or lose. Roc Nation is definitely dropping the ball on getting Cotto a fight, but it's obvious that what they are doing is trying to find an opponent that has some type of name recognition and comes to give a good fight. That's why Lara is not in the running. He brings no money, and a boring fight. The risk of Cotto losing means nothing compared to the need to make money. Remember Cotto will fight anyone, and this is his last contracted fight with RocNation so believe me when I tell you they care more about money than whether Cotto wins or loses.

Comment

lets see what rotting injured carcass cotto will dredge up for his next fight. will it be a prime young opponent? HELL NO.

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
                    Cotto is NOT fighting GGG. The fight will sell but not because of GGG.

He'd essentially be fighting a huge boogeyman with an average successful PPV with triple the hurt.

Why do that in a comeback fight after a year and a half and when you can make a more financially successful bout with JMM and--worst case scenario--lose a decision or get stopped on accumulation.

If GGG as much as breathes on Cotto, it's a wrap.

Eff it, I laughed at first but I think boxingscene is on to something:

If all else fails, make Cotto/Margarito 3 strictly for a grudge match money maker in Vegas. Neither one would let the other win by KO, going all out, with genuine disdain.

I think this would make more money on PPV than GGG, Márquez, or Bradley.
                    I say and have said, for his swan song he should fight GGG. Would love to see Cotto v. Bradley, followed by v.Thurman/Porter/Brook (especially if Brook defeats Spence, but I don't think he can) or saunders/Lee, ending his career against GGG or Canelo rematch, but I prefer the swan song. I have also said that I would like to see Cotto go back to welterweight. We've seen throughout boxing history fighters move up multiple weights, but we rarely have seen fighters move down. Most fighters who move to bigger weights, then try to go back down are never the same. If Cotto can go back to welterweight and win another title, the would be very impressive, especially with the crop of fighters that currently occupy that division.

Comment

Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
                      I say and have said, for his swan song he should fight GGG. Would love to see Cotto v. Bradley, followed by v.Thurman/Porter/Brook (especially if Brook defeats Spence, but I don't think he can) or saunders/Lee, ending his career against GGG or Canelo rematch, but I prefer the swan song. I have also said that I would like to see Cotto go back to welterweight. We've seen throughout boxing history fighters move up multiple weights, but we rarely have seen fighters move down. Most fighters who move to bigger weights, then try to go back down are never the same. If Cotto can go back to welterweight and win another title, the would be very impressive, especially with the crop of fighters that currently occupy that division.
                      Yeah, but I really don't think GGG would bolster Cotto's PPV numbers much in all honesty. GGG still isn't a major PPV attraction...hell, few are really.

I mean, for what it's worth, I don't think it'd be completely bad. In fact, it might be good for boxing. GGG establishes a PR fanbase (hater-base...either way, people wanting to follow up on his career) by having him annihilate Cotto in the garden. GGG does good numbers, uses that as leverage to ask for a bigger slice in the Canelo negotiations, people use the wins over Cotto as a common opponent comparison and ladies and gentlemen...we have ourselves a fight!

You need a star-making performance against an established individual to break into fame. I'm convinced that if Pacquiao hadn't been an underdog vs. Oscar and done that beatdown his fame wouldn't have skyrocketed as much as it did. Same for Floyd. Oscar was the jumping off point.

GGG doesn't have any big name to use as a jumping off point. I almost wanted to say Chavez Jr. but he's taken.

Also, Cotto at 147 would be interesting because how hot it is right now, but he hasn't been there in 8 years. And Cotto isn't a gym rat. As much as I would love to see Cotto in the mix, I doubt that happens. If he DOES make weight, he'll be a KO waiting to happen. 154 is the lowest he'll be going.

Comment

Working...
                      X