• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outrage is done, Margarito is no day at Boracay Beach for Pacquiao

Michael Marley
    Boxing Examiner
    August 27th, 2010

BOSTON--One of the most stupid remarks ever made on television came from the lips of a popular New York City weatherman named Tex Antoine.

On one newscast, back around 1974, a news reporter had just read a story about a rape.

Antoine, who was either a lunatic or was imbibing grog, then said:

"With rape so predominant in the news lately, it is well to remember the words of Confucius: 'If rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it.'"

What made the intemperate comment worse that, unbeknownst to the wacky weatherman, the prior story had been about the brutal rape of a five year old child.

I guess that's one way of committing professional hara-kiri as Antoine was soon fired by WABC Eyewitness News.

Which is my way of bringing up Topic A, the licensing by the Texas boxing board of controversial handwrap cheater Antonio Margarito so that he can fight Manny Pacquiao Nov. 13 at Cowboys Stadium.

I wrote previously that this was promoter Bob Arum's way of shoving Castor oil down the mouths of boxing fans and I can understand why many fans and some boss scribes notably, Kevin Iole at Yahoo) feel violated by this messy matchup.

Iole needs to steady himself as he says this bout belongs in the vomitorium, not Jerry Jones football palace.

I'm done being outraged, really. The fight is on and it is what it is.

Margarito remains banned in California and is greenlighted by Texas.

I wonder if someone loses their driver's license in Texas, also a privilege and not a right, what happens if the computer tracks that fact if the person tries for a California license?

Maybe driving while intoxicated is worse than fighting while plastered.

As for the fight, I don't get those outside of Coach Freddie Roach who look at it as a cakewalk for Manny.

Part of Roach's job is to lead cheers for the Pinoy Idol.

Margarito, his reputation perhaps forever sullied, won't be coming to find a soft spot, to lay down on the ring floor.

If he loses, this could be his last big payday. He's the kind of strong brawler who many would seek to avoid even if he was age 40.

Sure, Pacquiao has the edge in every department.

But, come Nov. 13, Margarito won't have a clouded mind and won't walk into the ring worrying about losing his boxing ticket, about being suspended or banned.

His mind should be clear, his chore obvious.

This might be his professional Alamo, his Last Stand.

Pacman will win but I think this fight is going 12 rounds, some of which will be arduous. Pacquiao may take more shots than he has in a long time.

Margarito is the guy with nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Trainer Robert Garcia will have his body right and, if his mental outlook is as good as it should be, he is a danger man.

You know for sure that Tone Loc won't go into a Clottey like closed gloves in front of face cover up.

Undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr. studiously avoided rugged Mexican Antonio Margarito for years, why?-Photo: John Paul Raloto

This victory will be hard earned for Pacman and it will come against a guy who Floyd Mayweather studiously avoided.

Mark my words.

Michael Marley is a legend.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderWolf View Post
      the words of Confucius: 'If rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it.'
      :laugh:

that line is gangsta

Comment

too long for me to read...

Comment

no ...this is bob arum applying lubricant on *****assses who do nothing but complain!...........

Comment

Nice and neutral once it got to the middle... Amazingly good writting.

Comment

I have to disagree with the guy. Hyped article. this will be an easy fight for PAC

Comment

Originally posted by 120 View Post
                I have to disagree with the guy. Hyped article. this will be an easy fight for PAC
                Most people are nervous about this fight, especially those expecting future millions.

Because a Margarito victory would end in a rematch, and spell the end to Pacquiao vs Floyd.

Comment

Marley's writing made Iole's statesman-like.

******* vs. ***** writer

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderWolf View Post
                    come Nov. 13, Margarito won't have a clouded mind and won't walk into the ring worrying about losing his boxing ticket, about being suspended or banned.

His mind should be clear, his chore obvious.

This might be his professional Alamo, his Last Stand.
                    Margarito is the guy with nothing to lose, everything to gain.
                    Trainer Robert Garcia will have his body right and, if his mental outlook is as good as it should be, he is a danger man.
                    Mark my words.

This is EXACTLY why Margarito has a good chance of beating Manny...Some of you people don't get it...he got whooped my Mosley but he was NOT in the fight..... YA'LL JUST DON'T GET IT.......

Comment

Working...
                    X