No announcement yet.

Quickest way to build leg muscles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
    You can lift hard and be recovered by the end of the week... Depends on how you eat though... Whey protein isnt needed at all, whole food is better but there's also alternatives (good ones at that). I do IF so there's not just one single way to get your nutrition, do what works...anyway..You can do squats ass to grass (on the tips of your feet too). I prefer pyramid sets. Pistol squats are insane if you've got the strength and fitness.

Calf raises are also great off a platform but if you dont have one thats fine too just dont go all the way back down on your heels. If you do weight training i use the leg press machine from the tips of my feet and do them like that. S hits intense...you could also use the platform on the machine itself to do calf raises ...suffice to say you wont be doing that with your regular leg press weight...have to lower that ish.

I do my workouts basically pushing movements (chest, tri, shoulder) one day, legs the next, pulling the next (biceps, back) and rest, rinse repeat. I like splitting it with legs to give my upper body that extra little day of rest between. I do abs usually on pulling days since I can work it in with my pullups for leg raises, but I really dot worry too much about it.
    Haha i honestly don't have a clue about some of the words you've used in this post but i'll look them up soon lol. Thanks a lot mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Erm View Post
      Everyone has good stuff.... If you have had shins splints for a year this is what you need to do starting tonight ice your shins tonight 3 times for 20 minutes then elevate your legs at a 45 degree angel for 30 mins. Another good thing to do is walk on your heels around the house "Duck Walk". Invest in some new shoes and STOP jumping rope and running all together, until its better then once your shin splints are gone do one of these workouts.. If you follow these steps they will be gone in a week.
      I get that your trying to be helpful mate and thanks for that but i always see supposedly definitive answers like this regarding shin splints and they really p1ss me of given how i've tried all this yet my shin splints haven't gone away.

Bought new expensive running footwear - didn't work.

Stopped all forms of running for 3 months - shin splints came straight back first time i did any landing on my shins(ie skipping or running) after 3 months

Always iced them/elevated them after every time i did any activity which put pressure on my shins and the shin splints remained.

See the thing that's killng me the most is not that i've had shin splints for over a year. It's that the pain is getting worse. I know now that this was the wrong thing to do but i carried on training for a good few months just overlooking the pain at the time which i did not know were shin splints and continued to do so until i reached a point where i was struggling to walk nevermind run. So i stopped all forms of putting pressure on my shins for at least 3 months. The first time i did some boxing training after the 3 months they came back again.

Also another thing was before i just used to play through the pain. After 10-20 minutes my legs would warm up and i wouldn't feel the pain anymore till the day after. I did this for a long time, with another couple of 2 months breaks inbetween, which did absolutely nothing.

Now i'm at the point where if i feel the pain then i HAVE to stop. No two ways about it. No more playing through the pain as the pain is too much to bear and i can't play through it. Even if i don't do any forms of activity for a few weeks and i do some boxing training, the shin splints come straight back right to the point of where the pain is unbearable.

I know choosing to play through the pain was not a good thing to do but when i tried 3 months of physio which did absolutely nothing, when i tried 3 month breaks and 2 months breaks only for the shin splints to come straight back the first time i would do anything after the long breaks out then what other choice did i have.

Comment

it sounds like you are very overtrained. the thread title makes it appear as if you're going about this in the wrong fashion. there will be no quick fix for this.

if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? what's your sport, and what do you weigh?

my first bit of advice would be to take an extended break. don't do anything that has aggravated your shin splints in the past. if three months really did nothing for you then you should try at least half a year.

the first step in addressing any overuse injury is to decrease the demand. if you keep on at your current pace your shin splints will only worsen.

when you return to activity you want to do it slowly. if you're a runner i would honestly start by walking a couple of miles before you do any real running, and get off of the pavement if you can.
        Last edited by New England; 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I know barely anything about shin splints but my friend today said that using the treadmill on an incline helped him.

Comment

Squats no question. But as an athlete especially one who needs to powerful and explosive (assuming you are a boxer), you don't want to be doing 4 sets of 10-12 bodybuilding rep schemes. You want to be in the 3-5 Rep Range with as heavy a weight as you can handle.

Deadlifts much the same.

Other accessory leg work you can do are things like Bulgarian Splits, Glute Ham Raises, Lunges, and really anything that involves jumping (Box Jumps, Seated Box Jumps, Depth Jumps.

You can very easily train your lower body hard twice a week without having to worry about recovery.

But if Shin Splints are a concern, strengthening your legs isn't going to do a whole lot. You may need to buy different shoes with better support or maybe you need to swap roadwork for another form of conditioning.
            Last edited by TheNegation; 02-26-2013, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
              Yeah I hit every muscle group twice a week.

Monday is upper body power day, and tuesday is lower body power.

Wednesday off

Thursday is Shoulders and back; friday is legs again; Saturday is Chest and arms

I only did one a week for a while but started doing everything twice about a month and a half ago. So far I have been getting good results, my deadlift and squat numbers are going up very nicely which pleases me.
              Are you doing Layne Norton's PHAT routine?.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                it sounds like you are very overtrained. the thread title makes it appear as if you're going about this in the wrong fashion. there will be no quick fix for this.

if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? what's your sport, and what do you weigh?

my first bit of advice would be to take an extended break. don't do anything that has aggravated your shin splints in the past. if three months really did nothing for you then you should try at least half a year.

the first step in addressing any overuse injury is to decrease the demand. if you keep on at your current pace your shin splints will only worsen.

when you return to activity you want to do it slowly. if you're a runner i would honestly start by walking a couple of miles before you do any real running, and get off of the pavement if you can.

So much this.

Also, I had a bout of this after an injury and it was KILLING me. But..it coul be as simple as your running form. I suffered an injury and trying to come back earlier than I should I began heel striking since it was more comfortable.. Well..few weeks in and it was sharp shin pains. Rested for a few weeks and recovered well enough to run with my normal form and all went well.

If youre running make sure you are NOT landing on your heel. Land on the middle of your foot, be conscious about it and take it slow. Make sure youre lifting your back foot up into almost an L shape. Your legs (if youve been running with bad form) will still be sore from running correctly but it wont be the same sharp pain, youll feel it more in your calves.

Seriously, give that a shot. Youd be surprised at how many people run with bad form and complain about shin splints.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNegation View Post
                  Are you doing Layne Norton's PHAT routine?.
                  Yeah kind of.

I started the program a couple months ago and saw good gain but I have been keeping the same template and swapping some exercises.

Great results so far, but it is also the first time I have trained every muscle group twice a week.

Comment

Jump knee high as high as you can, repeatedly, for as long as you can.

Comment

I'm going to look into your shin problem i will let you know what i can come up with in a couple days

Comment

Working...
                      X