Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judah Brothers Boxing Club fighting to stay Open

Judah Brothers Boxing Club Fighting to Stay Open

For Immediate Release

Brooklyn, NY (July 11, 2012) – The Judah Brothers Boxing Club, a safe haven for people of all ages living in New York City’s roughest areas, is desperately trying fighting off a serious economic onslaught.

The Judah Brothers Boxing Club is under the banner of the Thornhill Community Supportive Services Incorporated, a 501 (C) 3 non-profit organization based in Brooklyn. Currently, Judah is in the process of making his gym an independent non-profit so he can continue aiding struggling New Yorkers on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, he is behind on the monthly bills and worries that if the gym is forced to close his members would be in serious trouble. To make matters worse, the landlord is planning to raise rent by $2,000 per month in the near future.

“I want to continue providing a positive place for people in bad situations to go but I need all the help I can get,” said Judah, who regularly bought food and drinks for members who couldn’t afford it. My goal is to run a free summer program for underprivileged kids and they’d spend a whole day at the gym instead of the streets. This is very important because kids are out of school now and can get into all kinds of trouble.”

The gym opened in August 2011 and was fully funded by legendary kickboxer and boxing trainer Yoel Judah. Many of the members laced up a pair of gloves for the first time and were educated about the discipline that the sport provides. In addition to a boxing program that’s attracted children as young as five, the gym has martial arts training, a wrestling program, a basketball court and ping pong tables.

All members receive hands-on training from Judah, former two division world champion Junior “Poison” Jones, famed Butterbean conqueror Mitch Rose and Yoel’s son Daniel.

“We have a lot of kids here that are coming for free,” said Judah. “A lot of these kids have (no family life) and no money. The gym keeps them off the streets and out of trouble, which is extremely important.”

With the assistance and dedication of his hard-working trainers, Judah is organizing a series of fundraisers for the gym.

Donations can be made via check to the Thornhill Community Supportive Services Incorporated in association with Judah Brothers Boxing Club, located at 1467 Bedford Ave Brooklyn, NY 11216. The Judah Brothers Boxing Club is located at 400 Liberty Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11207. For more information, please email judahbrothers@gmail.com.

If they have a fundraiser when I'm up in Brooklyn for a Paulie fight, I'll give them cash in hand.

Comment

Working...
    X