Honorary AUSSIE's-- AUSTRALIAN Hall Of Fame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honorary AUSSIE's-- AUSTRALIAN Hall Of Fame

How's This For a Boxing Team
    The Australian Boxing Hall Of Fame has a Special Section For Honorary Australians : And it makes a formidable team of boxers comparable to any.
    These Fighters spent a lot of time in Australia, and fought a lot there, some retired there to live out their lives. This Is The List..1. Jack JOHNSON,.....
    2. Freddie DAWSON,....
    3. Sam LANGFORD,......
    4. Archie MOORE,.....
    5. Bob FITZSIMMONS,.....
    6. Tod MORGAN,....
    7. Ted Kid LEWIS,.....
    8. Tommy BURNS,.....
    9. Jimmy CLABBY,.....
    Not a Bad team INDEED

A MONGOOSE In Australia

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    How's This For a Boxing Team
    The Australian Boxing Hall Of Fame has a Special Section For Honorary Australians : And it makes a formidable team of boxers comparable to any.
    These Fighters spent a lot of time in Australia, and fought a lot there, some retired there to live out their lives. This Is The List..1. Jack JOHNSON,.....
    2. Freddie DAWSON,....
    3. Sam LANGFORD,......
    4. Archie MOORE,.....
    5. Bob FITZSIMMONS,.....
    6. Tod MORGAN,....
    7. Ted Kid LEWIS,.....
    8. Tommy BURNS,.....
    9. Jimmy CLABBY,.....
    Not a Bad team INDEED
    I will start off with Archie Moore's stay in Australia, and describe his fights when I have any information, and give his fight results as they come upArchie Moore credits his time in Australia as the most crucial to his early development. Archie stayed with an Aboriginal tribe after the first Richards fight (I don't know if it was Richards family or not, but I've heard the rumour. It was during this time that Archie took up an aboriginal diet which he says made him stronger, true or not, Archie certainly believed in it,............. Here is a quick rundown on Moore's career during his Australian sojourn.
    : Archie Moore arrived in Australia with 45 fights and 4 losses (one of which was controversial), in early 1940.
    30, March 1940 :- Archie moore Vs Jack McNamee, at Melbourne...... Archie seemed to have an easy time of it, Moore by TKO in the 4th.... good start,..........18, April, 1940 :- Archie Moore Vs Ron Richards ,Sydney Stadium...... (from Boxrec)--"Moore was down for a six count in the first round. Richards won the first Three rounds, but Moore improved in the fourth and took charge in the Fifth. Richards suffered right eye damage in the sixth round. Moore punished Richards, especially with lefts, until the referee examined Richards injuries and stopped the fight in round Ten. Moore by TKO 10,..Attendance, 90009 May, 1940 :- Archie Moore Vs Attilio Sabatino ,..Sydney Stadium,....Moore had Sabatino in trouble from nearly the beginning of the fight. Atilio suffered a cut over his left eye in the 3rd round, Moore cleverly blocked his attempted body punches and kept up a steady stream of lefts himself. In the 5th. Archie sent Sabatino through the ropes with uppercuts and kept up a relentless attack. The fight was stopped from further punishment between rounds.......Archie Moore by TKO. 5 18 May 1940 :- Adelaide (that means he's gone halfway across the continent AND had a fight in just 9 days since the Sabatino fight), Archie Moore Vs Joe DELANEY....No fight description available,.... not necessary,. ..... Archie Moore by KO 2...... lol. 27, May 1940 :- Archie Moore Vs Tommy JORDAN.. Hobart (wow a train trip to Melbourne, a trip that takes at least a day then, and then a long boat trip all the way to Tasmania,..... in NINE days,... where did he get the time to rest,... he is amazing.),... again no description,.. just another flogging. MOORE by 4th round KO....... he is enjoying Australia very much thank you.
    The Finale next post, 2 big fights, -- Henneberry and Richards II,, yay.
    Hope you liked this post, let me know !!!!, I will do the same for all the Honorary Aussies,..... McG out.

Comment

Archie Moore...... Maaaan he was incredible! That was intresting to read McGoorty, lookin forward to the next lot, especially Langford and Johnson

Johnson used to stay about 20mins from ME when on the run i recently found out...

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
        Archie Moore...... Maaaan he was incredible! That was intresting to read McGoorty, lookin forward to the next lot, especially Langford and Johnson

Johnson used to stay about 20mins from ME when on the run i recently found out...
        OK mate, I'll do the Galveston Giant (I better put that one on me Nicknames thread), next as soon as I finish the one on the Mongoose in Australia (I like that title, I'll call Jack's, "Big Jacks title quest")....... won't be long on that.

Comment

Is this HOF open to the public? Azumah Nelson wants a tour.

(Nelson's last fight WAS in the Land Down Under)
          Last edited by fitefanSHO; 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

You forgot Joe Burgner :-P

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
              Is this HOF open to the public? Azumah Nelson wants a tour.

(Nelson's last fight WAS in the Land Down Under)
              You have a bit of a point there, Azumah is well liked here and so is Bugner, maybe they will get Honorary Aussie. The three most popular though are Archie, Jimmy Clabby (he retired here,.... became a very rich man by all accounts, he owned racehorses) and the phenomenal lightweight Freddie Dawson, anyone here don't know him should slap 'emselves, he ranks as one of the greatest lightweights to never win a title, although not in McFarlands class of course (Surely a candidate for greatest boxer to ever win the title, indeed Packy was a greater fighter than 9 out of 10 titleholders,...... I think I'm getting an idea for a new thread !!!),........... Dawson is far better known by the average Aussie Boxing fan than he is in his native U.S............................ American fans should embrace Freddie,............................. he was brilliant..... anybody wanna talk about Dawson,...... i bet Poet will know of him..

Comment

One of my 7 dads had a fight every time he crossed the ditch aye...he's gotta be worth a shout bro! He was given the freedom of well NZ for his efforts. Well, more he was sorta banned from Aussie, but it's the same thing!

Great stuff so far mate, keep it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Da Maori View Post
                  One of my 7 dads had a fight every time he crossed the ditch aye...he's gotta be worth a shout bro! He was given the freedom of well NZ for his efforts. Well, more he was sorta banned from Aussie, but it's the same thing!

Great stuff so far mate, keep it coming.
                  What's his name,,,, if it's Kahu Mahunga,,,, I'll bloody shake your hand, Bro. No seriously, if he fought here often enough, we'd claim him, just like we did for Split Enz and not to overlook Mark Hunt.... eh Bro,,,,

Comment

A Mongoose In Australia -- PART 2

27 JUNE 1940 :-- ARCHIE MOORE Vs FRED HENNEBERRY,... Sydney Stadium ,..---Fred Henneberry was hit low in the seventh round and after a rest of 9 minutes, could not continue. Moore was slightly ahead on points, at the time but seemed to be taking control. Henneberry was the agressor, but Moore was better at evading punches and landed the cleaner blows. The ending was controversial because Henneberry was wearing a protector, but there was no doubt that he was badly hurt by the low blow. A no-foul rule was in force and all the referee could do was give Henneberry a chance to recover but he could not.......... MOORE by TKO 7... ----------------------
                    11 July 1941 :- ARCHIE MOORE Vs RON RICHARDS,.... Sydney Stadium :----- Moore had a comfortable margin at the end of the fight. "The fight was a grand contest, full of action, Moore won because of his superior ability at in-fighting, Richards was ahead after the first 6 by a slight margin, but tired and couldn't keep up with Archie.......MOORE Won by Decision 12.....
                    Hope you liked it !!!!,... Big JACK J. is next !!

Comment

Working...
                    X