Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 27 and I am going to train for the first time next month...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 27 and I am going to train for the first time next month...

Hey guys, I been reading this site for a while and I finally decided to register.

I'm 27 yrs Old, 6'1, and 185 pounds. I go to the gym on and off to lift weights because I wanted to bulk up in size. Now that I have the size, I want to begin toning. Many people have recommended I take up boxing so now I finally have enough time on my hands to take on this sport.

I would like to know what kind of running regimen I should follow, and if there are any boxers out there who would like to share with me their diets. Please take into consideration, I'm from New York City, and I also work 7 hours a day.

Any help is appreciated!

Greg

Good on ya mate, you have picked the right sport. Give it a couple of months and you will be addicted lol. If I was you i would do a 20 minute jog 3 times a week along with boxing. Umm tell us your diet roughly from breakfast to dinner.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Angus, for now the plan is to run first thing @ 6am, then breakfast @ 8am, consisting of 4 scrambled eggs and toast. by 12pm I will have chicken or steak with rice or potatoes, by 2pm I plan on training for 1 to 2 hours, eat some more protein after that, possibly some sort of chicken salad. Then at night around 9pm I should eat another meal once again.

Comment

Originally posted by GREG_Raimes View Post
        Thanks Angus, for now the plan is to run first thing @ 6am, then breakfast @ 8am, consisting of 4 scrambled eggs and toast. by 12pm I will have chicken or steak with rice or potatoes, by 2pm I plan on training for 1 to 2 hours, eat some more protein after that, possibly some sort of chicken salad. Then at night around 9pm I should eat another meal once again.
        That sounds fine aside from the 4 eggs, don't eat 4 yolks 2 tops. The egg whites are fine though.

Boxing is the best sport for many of us because the physical aspect is only a small part of it. Strategy, intelligence, knowledge plays a large role in this sport. Plus you can never be perfect and there is always room for improvement, even champions and top class fighter get better all the time.

Comment

its a bad decision to take up boxing because your freinds sed it would louse you weight (which is all toning really is)
          in boxing gyms , people are extremly comitted to boxing as a sport and the lifestyle, you will look a bit foolish if you come and pay more atention to u lousing weights rather than learning the basics and technqiue and form,

you mus like boxing and want to improve as a boxer, in order to join a boxing gym, because u cud soon be in the ring with people desprate to make it as an amature trying to knock your head off ,

if you wanna just louse weight for toning, cut down on your eating and do some running and lots of running,

however i cud be wrong btw, if you do like boxing ect...then just go and it will be great

Comment

Originally posted by mr tricky View Post
            its a bad decision to take up boxing because your freinds sed it would louse you weight (which is all toning really is)
            in boxing gyms , people are extremly comitted to boxing as a sport and the lifestyle, you will look a bit foolish if you come and pay more atention to u lousing weights rather than learning the basics and technqiue and form,

you mus like boxing and want to improve as a boxer, in order to join a boxing gym, because u cud soon be in the ring with people desprate to make it as an amature trying to knock your head off ,

if you wanna just louse weight for toning, cut down on your eating and do some running and lots of running,

however i cud be wrong btw, if you do like boxing ect...then just go and it will be great
            I don't agree completly, there is more to boxing than just fighting or aiming to become a champion. Many people just do it to get/stay in shape and it works well cause boxing is one of the most demanding sport physically. Plus in terms of fun it sure beats being alone in your living room with a ****ing abroller or one of those ****ty machines.

Comment

Originally posted by mr tricky View Post

you are wrong. completely wrong. How many in your gym are fighters and how many are just there for fitness, self defence, fun etc? even in the top pro gyms there are plenty of white collar guys who just box to let off a bit of steam or whatever, and a good trainer knows the difference, and no-one will try to knock your newbie head off unless their a total arsehole and an idiot who will never make it in boxing.

OP in terms of running, a 20 minute to half hour jog 3 times a week is perfect for beginners, you can up it to 4 times, start doing interval running etc when you start sparring and you feel like you need the extra fitness. My advice? dont take it too seriously too quickly, start training once or twice a week, get the basics down and grow your lovve for the sport, dont force yourself into the gym 4/5 times a week cos thats what some other guy does, you'll burn yourself out and lose interest pretty quickly, i've seen it happen loads of times.

Comment

If he wants to go for fitness then good on him! Our stable use to be based in a public gym which was mainly weight lifting place with boxing section walled off. They were all pro's and some had titles so you can't say they were not dedicated! Pro bodybuilers use to always come over for some light sparring to get ripped up. A top flyweight tattooed one of them once for a laugh! They were a good bunch of lads, an anyone else who wanted to come for fitness could come too. If you see Wildcard vids gym you will see a local fat blob working out in same room as Manny Pacman.

Comment

well hey to answer ur question....i often run up and down the stairs on this five story building and i do that about 5 times. somebody in my gym once told me that its the equivalent of going 10 rounds but it could've also just been talk. but neways dats one of my work outs. also u should do sum jumproping...alot of it. and please stay committed if u can..dont juss do it to do it. i live in NY to...wat gym u go to?

Comment

Well thanks for the response, I just started going to the Mendez Boxing Gym for the last 2 days and i absolutely love it. It's the best decision i have made as far as my health is concerned. i really feel like my body will eventually get to where i need it to be. How long have you been boxing?

Originally posted by The Victim View Post
                    well hey to answer ur question....i often run up and down the stairs on this five story building and i do that about 5 times. somebody in my gym once told me that its the equivalent of going 10 rounds but it could've also just been talk. but neways dats one of my work outs. also u should do sum jumproping...alot of it. and please stay committed if u can..dont juss do it to do it. i live in NY to...wat gym u go to?

Comment

Working...
                    X