No announcement yet.

Is Respect In Boxing Fading Away?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Respect In Boxing Fading Away?

Do you think Respect between 2 fighters is Really Fading away?
    If so how bad will it get?

Also what is your opinion of History Fans and Modern Fans, do you think they are diffrent? Id like to hear your take.

ROOSTER

Originally posted by 0Rooster4Life0 View Post

Fighters today want to be quotable, and the easiest way to do that is to be insulting or slanderous. It can be funny at times, but mostly its a bunch of crap. I prefer the times when fighters shook hands and were humble, yet let it all hang out in the ring. To many times nowadays we hear all this tough talk only to be let down during the actual fight. Unfortunetly this seems to ne epidemic today.

Also what is your opinion of History Fans and Modern Fans, do you think they are diffrent? Id like to hear your take.

ROOSTER
    Many younger fans seem to buy into the hype of someone with a big mouth. Fanjs of history know that it isn't what you say you are going to do, but what you actually do. This is why I prefer the Cotto's, Pac's, JuanMa's and Pwills of today. There may be a little talk, but mostly they're humble and come for war.

Comment

Yes manny pacquiao is really humble demanding 70-30 pay splits with the champion above his weight class that he personally requested

and marquez who whines about any decision that didn't go his way is very humble as is paul "piss and moan about being ducked despite avoiding joshua clottey" williams

Comment

Originally posted by princemanspoper View Post
        Yes manny pacquiao is really humble demanding 70-30 pay splits with the champion above his weight class that he personally requested

and marquez who whines about any decision that didn't go his way is very humble as is paul "piss and moan about being ducked despite avoiding joshua clottey" williams
        Your opinion and reputation on this board are already shot to crap. Don't fear though, it shouldn't be to much longer till you're banned.

Comment

I think it's just a way of them getting their names out there more than anything.

Boxing isn't the popular sport that it once was here in the United States.

Long gone are the days when people would fill Yankee Stadium to see a Joe Louis fight, or when Muhammad Ali's every move was frontpage news.

It's a fringe sport now.

And because of that, fighters these days are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to getting their share of media coverage.

While a crossover star like an Oscar De La Hoya, a Floyd Mayweather, or even a Manny Pacquiao will come along every once in a while, for the most part ; you make the best out of a bad situation.

Which is why I understand when a fighter steps over the line every once in a while when it comes to promoting a fight.

That said, it does get very tiresome as a fan to watch.

We still have a lot of really great examples of humble sportsmen in the sport today ; you need look no further than the current #1 and #2 pound for pound fighters in the sport to see evidence of that.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
            I think it's just a way of them getting their names out there more than anything.

Boxing isn't the popular sport that it once was here in the United States.

Long gone are the days when people would fill Yankee Stadium to see a Joe Louis fight, or when Muhammad Ali's every move was frontpage news.

It's a fringe sport now.

And because of that, fighters these days are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to getting their share of media coverage.

While a crossover star like an Oscar De La Hoya, a Floyd Mayweather, or even a Manny Pacquiao will come along every once in a while, for the most part ; you make the best out of a bad situation.

Which is why I understand when a fighter steps over the line every once in a while when it comes to promoting a fight.

That said, it does get very tiresome as a fan to watch.

We still have a lot of really great examples of humble sportsmen in the sport today ; you need look no further than the current #1 and #2 pound for pound fighters in the sport to see evidence of that.

every sport seems like a "fringe sport" now. I don't follow football and don't know a single football players name currently (usa football)

I know a few basketball players, and of course tiger woods. I don't know any baseball players. to me every sport get's less coverage only because we get so many different things thrown at us these days.

Pacquiao and Mayweather are actually probably some of the more popular athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Many younger fans seem to buy into the hype of someone with a big mouth. Fanjs of history know that it isn't what you say you are going to do, but what you actually do. This is why I prefer the Cotto's, Pac's, JuanMa's and Pwills of today. There may be a little talk, but mostly they're humble and come for war.
              Agreed with both posts .

Comment

As great as he was that's what Ali did to boxing, he made having a big mouth popular. The difference is Ali backed it up, whereas fighters today boast and make claims they don't live up to.

Comment

ROOSTER
                  Well.. I think you know about my take on both questions, especially the 2nd one!... Regarding the 1st, just the odd 1or2 posters so far as I'm concerned, but with ref to Boxing in general, I think the fighters show slightly more respect, if anything.. Most of the dissin stuff seems to be getting aimed at the old school fighters these days lol, but in truth, boxings become a bit too much 'hip hop' 4 me amongst the meagres.. I'm still as keen as ever though!

Comment

ROOSTER
                    It's becomin all about $ these days. Fighters got a right to wanna stay paid, but there seems to be less focus on fightin for gr8ness.

I truly hope 'fans' on this site ain't representative of boxing fans as a whole. From my personal experience, thankfully they ain't. When I talk to old school fans they got their biases just like anybody else does, but they got a deeper appreciation for the sport. They been watchin for decades, not just since World Awaits, so I luv talkin to them a lot more. As I mentioned, I don't see much of it elsewhere, but on here the stanism/hatred for fighters and the bitchmade obsession wit how much $ anotha man makes is ****in disgustin. Older fans know better than that female type ****.

Comment

Working...
                    X