Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more Mayweather needs to do to be serious candidate for GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kendom View Post
    You really think Floyd should be ranked above Hearns, Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard??? on what basis?
    I think he's a better boxer than any of them ever was and that had he came along in their era, he would've beaten each and every one of them. It seems to me that Leonard is viewed as being the best because he beat Hearns and Duran decisively, and Hagler controversially, and I think Floyd is better than Sugar Ray in many ways. For example his inside game is better, his defence is much better and he is smarter also. Floyd never would've made the stupid mistake of standing toe-to-toe with Duran. I thought Hagler beat Leonard and I see him as being the biggest threat to Floyd, but I think Mayweather would've broken him down in the middle and late rounds and won a competitive/close decision.

I'm not saying it would've been easy work for him to beat these guys, but none of them would've been able to cope with his defence, versatility, ring intelligence and laser-accurate punches. People like to point to resume and use it to define greatness but it's not Floyd's fault that he came along in this era, and his resume is much closer to those guy's resume's than most people are willing to admit. He's faced over 25 world class boxers, 17 world champions and has only had 2 close fights which were almost 10 years ago. That speaks for itself and tells me that he would be great in any era, because very very few boxers in history have dominated the competition like he has. Whatever you think of him outside the ring, you can't deny that he is one of the best boxers ever. Does he have the greatest resume of all time? No. Absolutley not. But in terms of skills and overall boxing attributes, he could very well be the GOAT.
    Last edited by JK1700; 07-08-2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• ^Floyd hasn't even fought at middle yet. It's unfair to match him with Hagler, or unfair to say he'd beat him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
        I think he's a better boxer than any of them ever was and that had he came along in their era, he would've beaten each and every one of them. It seems to me that Leonard is viewed as being the best because he beat Hearns and Duran decisively, and Hagler controversially, and I think Floyd is better than Sugar Ray in many ways. For example his inside game is better, his defence is much better and he is smarter also. Floyd never would've made the stupid mistake of standing toe-to-toe with Duran. I thought Hagler beat Leonard and I see him as being the biggest threat to Floyd, but I think Mayweather would've broken him down in the middle and late rounds and won a competitive/close decision.

I'm not saying it would've been easy work for him to beat these guys, but none of them would've been able to cope with his defence, versatility, ring intelligence and laser-accurate punches. People like to point to resume and use it to define greatness but it's not Floyd's fault that he came along in this era, and his resume is much closer to those guy's resume's than most people are willing to admit. He's faced over 25 world class boxers, 17 world champions and has only had 2 close fights which were almost 10 years ago. That speaks for itself and tells me that he would be great in any era, because very very few boxers in history have dominated the competition like he has. Whatever you think of him outside the ring, you can't deny that he is one of the best boxers ever. Does he have the greatest resume of all time? No. Absolutley not. But in terms of skills and overall boxing attributes, he could very well be the GOAT.
        Floyd has never fought a straight Middleweight and you have him beating one of the greatest Middleweights of all time (Hagler)? Tommy Hearns was a murderous puncher who ultimately fought as high as Middle and light heavyweight. Floyd is just too naturally small. Many people don't even think Floyd could take out Sergio Martinez, much less these guys.

Sugar Ray has taken rounds and rounds of punches from the likes of Hagler and Hearns, he will barely notice Mayweather's shots. You know, there is a very simple Boxing principle that a lot of Floyd's die hard fans just don't seem to get. If the other guy doesn't care about your punches at all, your defense means nothing (unless we are talking about lumbering heavyweights who are vulnerable to good footwork). These guys are too big for Mayweather. Now you can make a pound for pound argument.
        Last edited by res; 07-08-2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• It would take a win over PAC khan and another top 154 pounder to put him in the greatest of all time and that's not even for all era's that's just this one.

For him to be the greatest of all time he would have had to beat zhu casamayor PAC prime Mosley prime oscar 140 hatton forest Margo prime 147 cotto and and a few others but in my eyes he's already goat of all time in this era with the elite fighters he's already beaten and won convincingly...

Comment

Working...
          X