Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Joe Frazier Duck The Big Punchers of His Era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Joe Frazier Duck The Big Punchers of His Era?

The Biggest Punchers of His Era

George Foreman
    Ron Lyle
    Earnie Shavers
    Mac Foster
    Ken Norton
    Sonny Liston
    Cleveland Williams

From the 7 names listed above Frazier only fought Foreman. Taking into account that Foreman was a relative unknown when Frazier first fought him and was seen as a sort of tune-up fight to a rematch with Ali. Frazier himself has admitted several times in interviews that he didn't know Foreman could hit that hard.

Well? Did Frazier's promoters and managers purposely avoid matching him with the Big Hitters?Was Frazier unsure of his chin after he was floored twice by Oscar Bonavena?

Futch and Durham didnt want Joe to go anywhere near Foreman, but he refused to listen to them. Futch basically said that Foreman was simply to big for Joe

But Joe did fight Foreman twice, so I would have to say I dont think so. Maybe someone more knowledgable on the matter can add something to this thread

Comment

[QUOTE=The Beatles;8391909]The Biggest Punchers of His Era

George Foreman
      Ron Lyle
      Earnie Shavers
      Mac Foster
      Ken Norton
      Sonny Liston
      Cleveland Williams

From the 7 names listed above Frazier only fought Foreman. Taking into account that Foreman was a relative unknown when Frazier first fought him and was seen as a sort of tune-up fight to a rematch with Ali. Frazier himself has admitted several times in interviews that he didn't know Foreman could hit that hard.
      .................................................. ..............................................

Norton and Frazier were real good friends and agreed to never fight each other.

Sonny Liston was before Joe Frazier.

Cleveland Williams was before Joe Frazier.

Frazier fought George Foreman.

Joe Frazier was buzy fighting Muhammad Ali 3 times,and Foreman twice when you mention the other names.

Frazier would fight anybody at anytime,and liked fighting bigger and harder hitting fighters.This is a fact.
      Last edited by boxing boy; 05-16-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

It's true,frazier spent his entire career ducking and avoiding the big punchers.

Cleveland Williams is a poor example because other than Ali giving him a payday and Mac foster using his name to further his career,Williams was literally shot and no longer a top fighter after his shooting.

frazier avoided fighting rising contender Mac foster and Leotis Martin.Martin had sparred with frazier in the past and besides frazier,was the best heavyweight in Philadelphia.

You could excuse frazier had these men been some kind of journeyman,but the fact was that these men were all ranked within the top ten at one point.

frazier was a cherry picker, and both Durham and futch knew that he couldn't take a punch so they avoided virtually every puncher of his generation.

It's disgusting that his leech is regarded as an ATG.His claim to fame is sporting an ever solid 1-4 record to the best fighters he ever fought.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
          It's true,frazier spent his entire career ducking and avoiding the big punchers.

Cleveland Williams is a poor example because other than Ali giving him a payday and Mac foster using his name to further his career,Williams was literally shot and no longer a top fighter after his shooting.

frazier avoided fighting rising contender Mac foster and Leotis Martin.Martin had sparred with frazier in the past and besides frazier,was the best heavyweight in Philadelphia.

You could excuse frazier had these men been some kind of journeyman,but the fact was that these men were all ranked within the top ten at one point.

frazier was a cherry picker, and both Durham and futch knew that he couldn't take a punch so they avoided virtually every puncher of his generation.

It's disgusting that his leech is regarded as an ATG.His claim to fame is sporting an ever solid 1-4 record to the best fighters he ever fought.
          You say his claim to fame is sporting an ever solid record to the best fighters he ever fought.

Nice way of putting it.How about saying it this way....Frazier only lost to two fighters in his carreer,Muhammad Ali(The greatest heavyweight of all-time),and George Forman(A top 5 all-time Heavyweight champion).

Frazier's 1-4 record was one win over the greatest heavyweight of all-time! Two losses to the greatest fighter of all-time,fighting him very close in the 2nd and 3rd fights.You don't mention that,do you? Then the other two losses to a top 5 heavyweight of all-time,who was the hardest punching heavyweight champion of all-time!

Muhammad Ali beat Mac Foster,and Joe Frazier beat Muhammad Ali.Joe Frazier would have cleaned Fostor's clock.

Frazier beat up Martin in sparring,and was leap years better than Martin.

Frazier couldn't take a punch? What are you smoking? George Foreman was the hardest punching heavyweight of all-time! Frazier only had 10 pro fights,and was only fighting a little over a year in the pro's when he got dropped by Bonevena.Muhammad Ali(Who could take the best punch of all-time)was dropped early in his carreer against Sonny Banks,and again by Henry Cooper.Both could not punch like Bonevena.

Lets deal in facts my man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Beatles View Post
            The Biggest Punchers of His Era

George Foreman
            Ron Lyle
            Earnie Shavers
            Mac Foster
            Ken Norton
            Sonny Liston
            Cleveland Williams

Well? Did Frazier's promoters and managers purposely avoid matching him with the Big Hitters?Was Frazier unsure of his chin after he was floored twice by Oscar Bonavena?
            i think he shouldve fought 4 off that list.he shouldve fought foster,lyle,shavers and norton.liston was well past it by the time a fight couldve been made,williams was past it also and quarry had beat foster so i'll go joe the benefit bein as how he fought quarry

Comment

There are at least 12 solid decades of boxing in the History books.

So if you are making a top ten, its kind of hard putting the 3rd best guy of a single decade on that list.

There are 2 guys clearly better than Frazier in the 1970's, I never understood how people could rank someone an top ten who never even ruled there own era.

Comment

Originally posted by Agentsmith View Post
                Futch and Durham didnt want Joe to go anywhere near Foreman, but he refused to listen to them. Futch basically said that Foreman was simply to big for Joe

But Joe did fight Foreman twice, so I would have to say I dont think so. Maybe someone more knowledgable on the matter can add something to this thread
                i wat'd
                then wat'd again

Comment

Originally posted by Soir View Post
                  There are at least 12 solid decades of boxing in the History books.

So if you are making a top ten, its kind of hard putting the 3rd best guy of a single decade on that list.

There are 2 guys clearly better than Frazier in the 1970's, I never understood how people could rank someone an top ten who never even ruled there own era.
                  Frazier fought in the best era of Heavyweight fighters!

Of course he couldn't rule his era when the greatest heavyweight of all-time fought in his era.

And he fought him on even terms and beat him.

His other loss was to the hardest punching heavyweight of all-time.Who is a top 5 heavyweight of all-time.

You wouldn't rank him in the top 10 because he fought the greatest heavyweight fighter of all-time on even terms over 3 fights,and beat him! And lost to a top 5 heavyweight of all-time?

Comment

Originally posted by r.burgundy View Post
                    i think he shouldve fought 4 off that list.he shouldve fought foster,lyle,shavers and norton.liston was well past it by the time a fight couldve been made,williams was past it also and quarry had beat foster so i'll go joe the benefit bein as how he fought quarry
                    Frazier and Norton were close friends and agreed to never fight.A good thing for Ken Norton.

He was buzy fighting the greatest heavyweight of all-time 3 times when you say he should have fought fostor,lyle,shavers,and norton.I already explained why he didn't fight Noerton.Frazier would have brutaly beat Fostor and Lyle.Only Shavers would have a chance on your list.

Comment

Working...
                    X