Muhammed Ali sets a BBC interviewer straight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    he's being a ****ing ****** there.

naming different types of birds which are actually different species, black people and white people aren't a different species.

a comparable analogy "grey pigeons don't fly with white pigeons" which would be dumb.

so to say ali "speaks sense" is just stupid, kind of like the time he said "white people are the devil".
    that's how the common folk think, Ali isnt a man of science. this is how that generation made sense of things.

Comment

Originally posted by devildg View Post
      i would not call him an intellectual at all but he parroted alot of common societal views on race from the black community, thereby, serving as an effective unofficial ambassador for black people. his stance on the Vietnam War was nothing unique but he was effective at communicating. a lot of charismatic people are like this including MLK Jr., Ronald Reagan, etc, etc

Had Ali decided to be a politician, he would have been pretty damn good at that too.
      His stance on the Vietnam war was a result of Elijah Muhammad telling him what to do.
      He was lucky that the public opinion of the Vietnam War went down the plug or otherwise he might never have recovered from it, in a boxing sense.

Ali wasn't smart enough to be a politician, however he would be a good spokesperson, he's someone you'd hang a megaphone to and tell them to campagin for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashy Larryx View Post
        different time different era
        This.................

Comment

Originally posted by devildg View Post
          that's how the common folk think, Ali isnt a man of science. this is how that generation made sense of things.
          Even so, it doesn't change the fact he's fundamentally wrong in what he's saying.

I am a common person too.

Comment

Ali was brainwashed by the Nation of Islam. It's a racist and bigoted organization that preached segregation and black superiority.

I don't blame Ali because he fell into it but at the same time he was gullible enough to believe in that nonsense. Malcom X was deep into that as well until he actually visited Mecca and realized everything he was being told was wrong and in turn was murdered by the Nation of Islam.

Ali was just a product of his times.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              Ali was brainwashed by the Nation of Islam. It's a racist and bigoted organization that preached segregation and black superiority.

I don't blame Ali because he fell into it but at the same time he was gullible enough to believe in that nonsense. Malcom X was deep into that as well until he actually visited Mecca and realized everything he was being told was wrong and in turn was murdered by the Nation of Islam.

Ali was just a product of his times.

That's what so many people tend to overlook. They look at this as if it was recorded yesterday. Ali lived and grew up in an era when there were laws that prohibited him from the same rights as other races. He was an Olympic gold medalist who wasn't allowed to eat in a local diner. Yet his foreign opponents that he fought for his own country would have had the same rights he was denied. That's something that can affect a persons psyche and people can respond in different ways. Martin Luther King and Malcom X are an example.

Some people need to keep that in perspective and stop pretending that 1971 was the same as 2013. Society in general was nothing like it is now. A lot of the laws were even dramatically different. Most people evolve as things change and Ali did a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                That's what so many people tend to overlook. They look at this as if it was recorded yesterday. Ali lived and grew up in an era when there were laws that prohibited him from the same rights as other races. He was an Olympic gold medalist who wasn't allowed to eat in a local diner. Yet his foreign opponents that he fought for his own country would have had the same rights he was denied. That's something that can affect a persons psyche and people can respond in different ways. Martin Luther King and Malcom X are an example.

Some people need to keep that in perspective and stop pretending that 1971 was the same as 2013. Society in general was nothing like it is now. A lot of the laws were even dramatically different. Most people evolve as things change and Ali did a long time ago.
                This is true but at the same time, we need to understand that there were people that DID NOT think like Ali and were more advanced in their thinking.

I don't excuse Ali but at the same time I understand why he was the way he was. Doesn't make it any less wrong though and thankfully we are moving towards a more progressive, logical way of thinking where race, gender and sexual preference doesn't matter anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  This is true but at the same time, we need to understand that there were people that DID NOT think like Ali and were more advanced in their thinking.

I don't excuse Ali but at the same time I understand why he was the way he was. Doesn't make it any less wrong though and thankfully we are moving towards a more progressive, logical way of thinking where race, gender and sexual preference doesn't matter anymore.
                  It's definitely wrong and I agree with you that we need to move forward with progressive and intelligent ways of thinking. But I also want to be mindful of the fact that this was a totally different time and era. That type of thinking is not productive at all I certainly don't agree with it. But I'm pretty sure Ali today does not see things in the same way he did then.

Comment

He's is right. Sadly, if you say this today you get labelled as a racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Fury View Post
                      He's is right. Sadly, if you say this today you get labelled as a racist.
                      well it is racist,but he was living in a racial time,today is different but sadly people still think like that,but hey thats their choice..they are plenty of white,asian,hispanic woman that love nothing more then some chocolate wang and im here to provide it for them.....and yes there are some loud mouth black chicks who want some white,hispanic and asian wang and we are begging ya'll to give it to them

Comment

Working...
                      X