No announcement yet.

When did you become a boxing fan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you become a boxing fan?

When did you discover boxing? When did you become a fan? Who was the fighter that made you a fan of the sport? For me, it was watching boxing on ABC and NBC at times as a kid, but became a bigger fan when I started watching more of it on HBO and seeing fighters like Leonard, Hagler, Holmes, Tyson and later Holyfield. What was the first big fight you watched? For me, it was Leonard-Hagler. Watching Tyson and later Holyfield become heavyweight champion made me a fan for life.

Do you guys still have the passion for the sport you had when you discovered it? It started to wane for me in the late '90s, then was reignited watching guys like Cotto, Gatti, and Mayweather on DVD.

I of course discovered a lot of the old films of guys like Louis, Robinson, Demsey and Marciano, at which point he became my favorite and that's why he's now my avatar.

Played football(soccer). Have always been really determined when I do something. My team had a poor game and I was the only one doing **** all by the end of it. Infuriated, I started boxing where I wouldn't have to rely on others.

Became a fan shortly afterwards, loved Ali. Watched the documentary "The Thrilla in Manilla" and I realised Ali wasn't all he was made out to be morally, hence I stopped liking him and promptly became a Joe Frazier fan.

Comment

Always been a fan. Can remember watching the "Thriller in Manila" with my dad and the first Leonard-Hearns fight with my grandfather. Truly became a fan after Paz and Haugen were on the cover of "KO magazine" and started boxing am a couple years later. Got seriously into the history of the sport on the old AOL forums where I learned much from long time internet friends Scott and Joseph (who post here regularly) as well as others.

Comment

I watched alot of boxing as a kid, like Leanard/Hearns, I remember watching the no mas fight on live tv. I saw Ali vs Spinks on live tv. after that I watched alot of boxing on espn and such. I watched alot of tuesday night fights. I watched alot of fight night at the forum. watched alot of Tyson fights. But the fight that really got me hooked was Pryor vs Arguello on espn superbouts. Ever since then which was like 1990, I've followed the sport as much as possible.

Comment

I think I started to have interest when the big build up for the first ali frazier fight cheering for joe because I viewed him as the underdog because he was smaller than ali. (being a short guy myself) I then started to follow duran because of his exciting style. Frankly I not as much into it because The talent level is not there today. I also read alot of magazines in the eighties which would always have stories of the great fighters of the past.

Comment

When I was growing up in LA one of the local TV stations (no cable then) showed wrestling on Wednesday nights from 8-10 and boxing on Thursdays from 8-10. Being a kid I liked wrestling. The wrestling promoters mother (Aileen Eaton) was the boxing promoter so there was a lot of cross promotion. So I started watching on Thursdays, seeing a variety of name fighters in tune ups and tough Mexican clubfighters who always made for an exciting match. Of course then I became aware of boxing on a national and international level, and have been hooked ever since. Despite all the sleaziness that is a part of boxing my affection for the sport has never once wavered.

Comment

I was hooked from SRL/Hearns I back in 81. Was a HUGE SRL fan. SRL/Hagler was the 1st time I went to a arena to see a Boxing match. My Maw took me I was that huge of a fanboy of SRL.

I used to get punished and whooped quite a bit. So for punishment my Maw would take away TV, goin outside to play, and the whole nine. Everything except books. So I would check out all the boxing books from the library I could, and close myself up in my room and read. Thats how I became a MEGA Jack Johnson fan back in the late 80's.

Comment

I became a real boxing fan in the Tyson and Chavez times, I remember hearing about the Ali,Leonard,Duran,Hagler, and hearn fights but didn't get to watch them live, I was actually a big wrestling Fan when I was a kid then fell in love with boxing when I got a little older, Boxing is the best sport in the world IMO.

Comment

Funny thing about that is most kids stay inside these days with video games and the Internet. Making them go outside would probably be a worse punishment these days.

Comment

When did you become a boxing fan

I became a fan watching the Friday night fights with my father in the 50's.

First fight I saw was Marciano/Walcott II. Favorite fighter was Gaspar Ortega.

All time favorite fight was Moore/Durelle I.

My interest in boxing slipped somewhat in the 90's especially because
                    There were less and less fights on tv and too many weight classes.

Everyone is a champion!!

Comment

Working...
                    X