Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who ranks higher ATG, Lewis or Wladamir

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more years, 6-10 more defenses, and retiring without a loss will leave Lewis in Wlad's dust. At the height of Lewis' reign he was laid out like a stumblebum by Hasim Rahman. The McCall loss can be chalked up to youth, but the Rahman loss is a sour note for a dominant champion to explain away, avenged or no. Retiring on the back of that "win" over Vitali is also a piss-poor way to go out.

Comment

• Originally posted by He-Yung Do View Post
      A few more years, 6-10 more defenses, and retiring without a loss will leave Lewis in Wlad's dust. At the height of Lewis' reign he was laid out like a stumblebum by Hasim Rahman. The McCall loss can be chalked up to youth, but the Rahman loss is a sour note for a dominant champion to explain away, avenged or no. Retiring on the back of that "win" over Vitali is also a piss-poor way to go out.
      so you think Lewis should have gone out with something other than a win?

Do you think old Lewis should have fought an unranked failed sparring partner instead of tkoing prime Vitali in 6?

You think that nearly all the HW champions in history were wrong to retire before age 39? They were all wrong and you are right? On which of your personal defences of world HW titles do you base your conclusion that you are right and all these other HW champs are wrong? The HYDBA title?
      Last edited by DreamFighter; 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
        Wlad's wins over Byrd is equal to Lewis' wins over Briggs/Bruno at most.

Other than that, Vitali was in his absolute prime. Holyfield that fought Lewis > Haye and especially Byrd. Wins over Ruddock, Briggs, Tua, Bruno, Holyfield, Vitali, Mercer all rank over Peter I (IMO). Peter was extremely limited, however I will give Wlad probs for getting off the canvas three times and still win.

Where is Eddie Chambers on this list? For me he ranks higher than TT on Wlad's wins. And so does Chagaev.
        You forgot that Byrd beat Holyfield. And prior to that, Ruiz also beat Holyfiled, about year after Lennox beat him. So my point, Holyfiled was way past it even in Lennox fight. No way I rank that Holyfiled over prime Byrd who beat Vitali, Tua and Holyfield himself... Beating prime Byrd is much better win.

I rank Byrd higher than Haye, but I rank prime Haye higher than that version of Holyfiled. Vitali wasn't in his prime - near, but not in his prime - still I rank that as the best victory among the two by far regardless it was Lennox's toughest fight and the least convincing victory IMO (apart from Mercer, for which I believe he lost).
        Last edited by Simurgh; 03-26-2013, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
          You forgot that Byrd beat Holyfield. And prior to that, Ruiz also beat Holyfiled, about year after Lennox beat him. So my point, Holyfiled was way past it even in Lennox fight. No way I rank that Holyfiled over prime Byrd who beat Vitali, Tua and Holyfield himself... Beating prime Byrd is much better win. .
          Surely its not about being a better win, but that losing to MW Byrd is a much bigger loss than losing to a genuine equal in a super HW.

you forget that Byrd was a natural middleweight, beating Byrd is not that big a deal for someone with a vast natural weight advantage such as both Klitschos possess. But Klits losing to a comparative midget is a terrible loss.

Byrd did well to beat an ageing Holyfield, mind you, who was closer in natural weight to him, so that was a far more even match up than a massively weight advantaged Klit beating or losing to him.
          Last edited by DreamFighter; 03-26-2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by He-Yung Do View Post
            A few more years, 6-10 more defenses, and retiring without a loss will leave Lewis in Wlad's dust. At the height of Lewis' reign he was laid out like a stumblebum by Hasim Rahman. The McCall loss can be chalked up to youth, but the Rahman loss is a sour note for a dominant champion to explain away, avenged or no. Retiring on the back of that "win" over Vitali is also a piss-poor way to go out.
            Did we forget about Puritty, Sanders, and Brewster... The only lose Wlad has done a rematch was Brewster; while Lewis came back to win both loses in his Career. Yes, Lewis's Reign was not as long but his career had many more spectacular/notable wins/opponents!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
              Did we forget about Puritty, Sanders, and Brewster... The only lose Wlad has done a rematch was Brewster; while Lewis came back to win both loses in his Career. Yes, Lewis's Reign was not as long but his career had many more spectacular/notable wins/opponents!
              mm I don't believe Lewis wasted any years on a then worthless wbo title either. Klits legit reign is shorter than lewis.

holding an unwanted wbo title in the early 2000s counted for anything more than a euro-level title at best.

Comment

Working...
              X