Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better actor: Sean Penn, Tom Hanks, or Denzel Washington???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got done watching 'John Q' with Denzel.

Love that shid, son. Still below Hanks for me though.

Gump
    Saving Private Ryan
    Green Mile
    Castaway
    Terminal - I liked it.
    Philadelphia

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
      that's honestly not something that i am in the least ashamed of. i actually kind of enjoyed it.
      i was talking about avoiding the ban hammer, but there's also that

Comment

Originally posted by Terrel View Post

Gump
        Saving Private Ryan
        Green Mile
        Castaway
        Terminal - I liked it.
        Philadelphia

road to perdition is good too

Comment

Originally posted by I'm Not Sorry View Post
          road to perdition is good too
          Yes, it is. Add that too, Timmeh.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
            guess you never saw Malcolm X -- or Glory for that matter you sick phuck!
            Malcolm X was a better movie than Training Day, but I felt like Alonzo Harris was one of Denzel's best characters. Regardless of people complaining about Denzel getting an Oscar for a "bad guy", I felt like he portrayed Alonzo like no other actor could ever dream of.

It wasn't over the top "bad guy", and it wasn't a fake "good guy" that turns bad in the end, it was just a real life bad ass that's corrupt.

I feel like many other actors would've done a little too much with that character, and went over the top with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrel View Post

Gump
              Saving Private Ryan
              Green Mile
              Castaway
              Terminal - I liked it.
              Philadelphia
              I don't think John Q is that hard to portray. Any actor can easily portray a troubled father (I am not saying that John Q is bad, I cried the first time I watch it).

On th other hand, if you watch Hank's Forrest Gump "closely," you can see that Hanks portrayal of the guy is so effectively done. Watch his expressions in the Wallace seen, him waiting for bus, him seeing **** for the first time, etc. Those were some of the scenes where he didn't need to talk but provided the audience an how it is being a kind-hearted stupid guy.

While Sean Penn's portray of I am Sam is inconsistently good. Dakota had even outperform him in that movie. Although when we talk about Mystic river and deadman walking, I don't see how Hanks pr Denzel deliver it as effectively as Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by led* View Post
                I don't think John Q is that hard to portray. Any actor can easily portray a troubled father (I am not saying that John Q is bad, I cried the first time I watch it).

On th other hand, if you watch Hank's Forrest Gump "closely," you can see that Hanks portrayal of the guy is so effectively done. Watch his expressions in the Wallace seen, him waiting for bus, him seeing **** for the first time, etc. Those were some of the scenes where he didn't need to talk but provided the audience an how it is being a kind-hearted stupid guy.

While Sean Penn's portray of I am Sam is inconsistently good. Dakota had even outperform him in that movie. Although when we talk about Mystic river and deadman walking, I don't see how Hanks pr Denzel deliver it as effectively as Penn.
                Precisely. Neither of those actors can deliver like Sean Penn. His highest of highs is higher than the others. If that makes sense.

You forgot to add 21 Grams. He was SO good in that movie.
                Last edited by Scarcaztic; 03-29-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  this reminds me a bit of your first 1000 bscene posts, which consisted of boxrec lists
                  .............whatever you say. I listed some of my favorite films of each and some of their best performances. As for the other comment....I usually only use BoxRec for birth dates, and anyone who says they haven't used to some random ass fight they couldn't remember is simply.....lying.

Penn is the most versatile, hands down. Denzel has probably the best overall resume, but he's not as versatile as Penn in my book. Could Denzel do Penn in Milk???

But I'd have to go with Hanks above Penn, who's slightly above Denzel. It's all close though.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    i've seen both. glory is not a bad movie, but he's not playing a lead role. he's a supporting actor at best. he's more of a role player on an nba team than a star player in that flick. mathew broderick starred in that movie.

glory is also a bit cheezy. let's be real about it.
                    So you get punished for playing good supporting roles??? I guess we shouldn't give De Niro credit for The Godfather Part 2 either, after all he was a supporting role......

Comment

Originally posted by led* View Post

Penn should have 3 Oscars right now for lead Actor, he deserved to win for Dead Man Walking too, in my opinion. As good as Leaving Las Vegas was, and it was a good film, it still doesn't sit right with me that Nicolas Cage won an Oscar over Sean Penn.

Comment

Working...
                      X