Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Report: Jarrell Miller vs. Johann Duhaupas on HBO, April 28

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get why people think Miller/Duhaupas is a mismatch. Sure Duhaupas got knocked out by a roided up Povetkin but he had a couple days notice & was on vacation when he got the call. He was going to start training camp for Takam when he got home from his Xmas holiday. The guy beat Charr on short notice & knock out Helenius in 6 rounds. He is a solid HW & miller is going to have a lot more problems with him than he would of with Bryan or Wach. Duhaupas can take a punch, he throws a lot of punches & is big. He can also go 12 rounds with little issues. This is a great fight in my opinion. Miller's lack of punching power is his biggest weakness & at 6'5 250-260 Duhaupas isn't exactly going to be bullied around the ring. Duhaupas is the most underrated HW today. This guy will fight anyone with no hesitation. Show him the money & an opportunity & he will take it. That includes on very short notice as we saw against Povetkin & Charr. He will get a full training camp & a chance to move back into position for another title shot. I thought he would be fighting Oscar Rivas next as they both fought on a card in France recently which set up a potential clash between the 2.
    Last edited by joe strong; 02-07-2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I saw the headline thinking, didn't Big Baby just beat this guy up?

wrong Euro guy

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
        i was hoping and praying for beetlejuice whyte v big baby but whatever this is a fun fight...
        Feel sorry for that French pastry chef, hes got smashed time and time again, and finally the only thing going for him (his granite chin) has now been cracked
        Wilder & Povetkin? Povetkin failed a drug test & Duhaupas still fought him on a couple days notice. Duhaupas also beat Charr (The WBA Regular scoobie doo belt holder) & KO'd Helenius in 6 rounds. Whyte had to outbox Helenius. You are selling Duhaupas short as he will fight anyone on short notice as he did against Charr & Povetkin. Duhaupas could very well beat guys like Takam, Whyte, Breazeale & Pulev. He is a tough SOB who is big, can take a punch & is a pretty active fighter who throws a lot of punches. He will stand in there & exchange with anyone. The Povetkin fight only happened because he called Duhaupas while he was vacationing with his wife & offered him 500000 euros so he jumped on it. He was set to start camp for a Takam fight upon returning from his holiday. The guy was totally out of shape & vacationing. Povetkin got a gift & from the Povetkin I saw against Hammer & Rudenko would have had a whole lot of problems with Duhaupas if he actually had a frigging training camp. Didn't he have to borrow shoes & gear because he just flew in on fight day?

Comment

Originally posted by Pennsauken1 View Post
          Eddie Hearn, the king of bum fights!!!
          How is the best Wilder`s win bad fight for Miller?

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
            I don't get why people think Miller/Duhaupas is a mismatch. Sure Duhaupas got knocked out by a roided up Povetkin but he had a couple days notice & was on vacation when he got the call. He was going to start training camp for Takam when he got home from his Xmas holiday. The guy beat Charr on short notice & knock out Helenius in 6 rounds. He is a solid HW & miller is going to have a lot more problems with him than he would of with Bryan or Wach. Duhaupas can take a punch, he throws a lot of punches & is big. He can also go 12 rounds with little issues. This is a great fight in my opinion. Miller's lack of punching power is his biggest weakness & at 6'5 250-260 Duhaupas isn't exactly going to be bullied around the ring. Duhaupas is the most underrated HW today. This guy will fight anyone with no hesitation. Show him the money & an opportunity & he will take it. That includes on very short notice as we saw against Povetkin & Charr. He will get a full training camp & a chance to move back into position for another title shot. I thought he would be fighting Oscar Rivas next as they both fought on a card in France recently which set up a potential clash between the 2.
            I won't hold the Povetkin loss against him but it's realistic to think Duhaupas has less punch resistance since being knocked out there and taking so many power shots from Wilder.

In terms of his performances, I've never rewatched his fight with Wilder but I saw guys like Washington and Szpilka able to win rounds whereas Duhaupas mostly just ate shots from what I recall. He showed willpower and toughness but apart from the Helenius win he's not had a performance in his career where he looked to be top 10 in the division. He lost to Teper who lost to Wach so it's not like there are levels between them. Whether people class them as gatekeepers or slightly better or slightly worse, it was disappointing when Miller fought Wach and it's the same here.

Miller was unwilling to fight Ortiz last year or Povetkin this year and seems to just want to stay undefeated against the easiest guys they'll let him fight while hoping a big offer to fight AJ or Wilder will fall into his lap. Which it won't as those 2 will get paid more and praised more facing one another, Povetkin, Fury, Haye if he beats Bellew and the WBSS winner than they would vs Miller. I think Hearn and HBO end up cutting him lose once contracts expire and wondering why they wasted the money/time/broadcasts trying to build him up. Maybe they deserve more blame than Miller because of the purses on offer, extra cash changes minds quick and makes better fights but I don't know how much is on offer.

I do see where you're coming from overall btw, it's true Duhaupas is not a terrible random fighter, but I really don't see him as a stepup from Wach or if he is it's a very small improvement.

Comment

LOL, Duhaupas is probably Wilder's best opponent to date, you dummy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kezzer View Post
                Who were the real alternatives? A lot of the HW contenders are tied up in other fights? Given only povetkin and wilder have stopped him so far, I would have thought this isn't an unreasonable matchup for an undercard.
                This is spot on. For those being critical of the fight - who should Miller be fighting instead?

Duhap is a live body with experience against the big boys, can't ask for much more at this stage.

Comment

Nice work indirectly burying Wilder - welcome to the crew.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                    I won't hold the Povetkin loss against him but it's realistic to think Duhaupas has less punch resistance since being knocked out there and taking so many power shots from Wilder.

In terms of his performances, I've never rewatched his fight with Wilder but I saw guys like Washington and Szpilka able to win rounds whereas Duhaupas mostly just ate shots from what I recall. He showed willpower and toughness but apart from the Helenius win he's not had a performance in his career where he looked to be top 10 in the division. He lost to Teper who lost to Wach so it's not like there are levels between them. Whether people class them as gatekeepers or slightly better or slightly worse, it was disappointing when Miller fought Wach and it's the same here.

Miller was unwilling to fight Ortiz last year or Povetkin this year and seems to just want to stay undefeated against the easiest guys they'll let him fight while hoping a big offer to fight AJ or Wilder will fall into his lap. Which it won't as those 2 will get paid more and praised more facing one another, Povetkin, Fury, Haye if he beats Bellew and the WBSS winner than they would vs Miller. I think Hearn and HBO end up cutting him lose once contracts expire and wondering why they wasted the money/time/broadcasts trying to build him up. Maybe they deserve more blame than Miller because of the purses on offer, extra cash changes minds quick and makes better fights but I don't know how much is on offer.

I do see where you're coming from overall btw, it's true Duhaupas is not a terrible random fighter, but I really don't see him as a stepup from Wach or if he is it's a very small improvement.
                    The Teper fight was very close & could have went either way. He then took a fight with Charr 4 weeks after the Teper fight & upset Charr taking his good WBC ranking which led to a title fight with Wilder. Those 3 fights happened in 6 months. He then had a tuneup against Nascimento before knocking out Helenius. He then took the Povetkin fight on a couple days notice. That was a pretty grueling 6 fight in 13 month schedule. How many HWs have done that in recent years? Teper, Charr, Wilder, Helenius & Povetkin in 13 months. The guy took it easy in 2017 with 3 stay busy fights & actually had a tough fight his last time out against Ouatah. He has 3 scheduled 10 round fights for 2018 on boxingrec. In June, August & December. That can change if big fights happen. I thought he was going to be fighting Oscar Rivas soon but this Miller fight could change all that. He would beat Wach. I don't think he gets enough credit. The guy is an active HW who doesn't duck anyone. Top 15 guy in my opinion.
                    Last edited by joe strong; 02-07-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                      Whyte has a match lined up in March, and Pulev could still be injured or at least out of shape from his injury

Breazeale would have been a better option though.
                      Breazeale is a mandatory, he will not take risks

Comment

Working...
                      X