No announcement yet.

How Does Duran Stack Up All Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    the competition Mosley faced as a lw wasn't nearly as stiff as Durans. Also Duran clearly outgrew lightweight. Mosley to me seemed as though he bulked up for the money. Mosley was a great lightweight but I could never bring myself to bet on him over a prime Duran.
    I really think that Mosley Inflatables Speed, power, just do not match up to Duran stamina, defense , short punch power, fight ending power. But getting back to duran as a welter he clearly outgrew the lightweight division in his late 20s similar to Robinson out growing the welter division at roughly the same age. At welter he retained most of the variables he did at lightweight with his fight ending power lessening because of bigger men being able to take punches but his experience did grow. His biggest weakness Discipline became an issue when he was earning huge purses. If motivated any welterweight that ever lived would need to take him very seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      His resume at lightweight isn't full of big names but I do agree that Shane Mosley at 135 lbs was something special.

As far as welterweight goes I wonder how Pernell Whitaker vs Roberto Duran would have gone.
      i wish i had thought of this, it would be a great fight if both guys showed up motivated and in shape

Comment

Originally posted by StarshipTrooper View Post
        I have him second all-time to Benny Leonard at Lightweight (but it's close). Not enough fights at Welter to rate him there
        Based on what?

Benny Leonard had a glass chin.
        Duran puts his a55 to sleep.

Comment

"Benny Leonard had a glass chin"....................really?

89 wins ...6 lost...1 draw 70 wins via KO, stopped 5 times!
          Also over 90 non decs. fights said to have been never stopped!

Leonard was a terrific boxer who also could punch!
          Leonard and Duran has been talked about since Duran established himself, it would have been a great fight to see.

All the really great fighters have had bad outings and poor performances. When you fight 60+ times over 15 to 22 years you can't be "on" all the time. If your fighting prime opponents you take a chance at getting beat!
          Glass chin my butt!!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            "Benny Leonard had a glass chin"....................really?

89 wins ...6 lost...1 draw 70 wins via KO, stopped 5 times!
            Also over 90 non decs. fights said to have been never stopped!

Leonard and Duran has been talked about since Duran established himself, it would have been a great fight to see.

All the really great fighters have had bad outings and poor performances. When you fight 60+ times over 15 to 22 years you can't be "on" all the time. If your fighting prime opponents you take a chance at getting beat!
            Glass chin my butt!!

Ray
            Stopped five times.
            And floored in countless other fights. Or am I mistaken Ray?
            Often by bums.

Yeah. I'm not arguing that.

How many times have you actually seen him fight?
            Just out of interest.

Comment

Define "bums"? Most members here have no idea what that term means.

Did he get up and win the majority of those bouts?
              Glass jaws don't get up!
              Never saw him but my uncle sparred with him a few times and a close friends father who was a top pro knew the man well.
              Back then there were sports writers that actually knew the game because it was so prevalent then. The newspapers had to be accurate or they wouldn't sell, simple as that. No TV, no ppv no closed circuit so you had to BE THERE!
              I grew up in the sport and often times had personal contact or knew others that had that connection. East coast boxing from the 1900 through 1995 was spread throughout Wash. DC to Portland MA. There were 3 shows a week in every region, boxing was one of the biggest attractions happening.
              I was lucky to be involved for 50 years.

Read everything you can find from the newspapers back then, the writers did have favorites but they knew the sport. Not like listening to espn now, they know NOTHING!

Leonard was the original Sugar Ray & Willie Pep, no one could move like Leonard and theres enough film to see his talents.

Ray

Comment

Glass jaws don't get up!
                You're talking **** Ray. By your b@stard logic Khan has an iron chin.

theres enough film to see his talents.
                Actually there is very little footage of Leonard. Care to point out where all this footage is?

Comment

I didn't know Benny Leonard had a glass jaw and I still don't. Five times does seem like a lot for an ATG to be kayoed, but Leonard was seen and judged by better boxing experts than myself and he has been appraised very highly for a long time.

We all know a mover is what Duran had the most trouble with, and Leonard was a Tunney style mover with fast legs. He will have to come in to punch, though, but he could do that swiftly a la Tunney, and be gone. There will not be much of a height differential. This fight could proceed something like Lomachenco vs Mikey Garcia might. Leonard was a world better than the Viruet brothers, but not nearly as tall. I would probably expect this fight to go to a decision. My crystal ball does not have a winner yet.

P.S. I just saw that Leonard was only 5'5", two inches shorter than Duran. Duran will be the larger man. It is hard to see him losing to Leonard, just off that statistic alone. I plan to watch all the Lewonard film available and see if my crystal ball can come up with an answer.

As of now, if I had to bet, I would have to bet on Duran as the larger man. But that would be without enough information.
                  Last edited by The Old LefHook; 06-27-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Find it your self kid! Do some research before you start flapping your mouth there are people who know boxing and I'm one of them.

"By your b@stard logic Khan has an iron chin".

This alone tells me everything I need to know about you.
                    good luck get prepared to be banned some where along the line!

Duran was stopped 4 or 5 times too does that mean he has glass also?

good luck on your fantasy ride, you'll need it!

Ray

Comment

Find it your self kid! Do some research before you start flapping your mouth there are people who know boxing and I'm one of them.

Hahaha. You have been caught in a lie now you are mad Ray.
                      Hahaha. We both know there is only a few fights footage of this chinless wonder. You are pathetic.

there are people who know boxing and I'm one of them.
                      You are an aroggant fool who has been exposed. Where is this mythical footage Ray? Where?

It doesn't exist and you know it.

Comment

Working...
                      X