No announcement yet.

Who's #1: Best Boxers.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's #1: Best Boxers.

Last night I was watching ESPN and they had an episode of who's #1.
    For anyone who hasn't seen the show, it's basically a countdown show where different writers, historians, analysts, etc. weigh in on who was the best of whatever category: whether it's boxer, football dynasty, etc.
    The list according to ESPN of Who are the top twenty boxers of all time is:
    20. Holmes 10. Foreman
    19. Chavez 9. Hagler
    18. Holyfield 8. Leonard
    17. Tunney 7. Johnson
    16. Tyson 6. Armstrong
    15. Duran 5. Dempsey
    14. Jones, Jr. 4. Marciano
    13. Pep 3. Robinson
    12. Moore 2. Louis
    11. Frazier 1. Ali

Just curious what everyone thinks (especially you mass pride).

I didn't see it but I don't agree with the results. Chavez and Duran too low. Especially Duran.Tunney, Holyfield and Johnson all too high. Too many hvyweights. I would omit Tyson all together though I have always been a fan. My top 4 would be Robinson, Ali, Arstrong and Louis. Willie Pep should be in the mix somewhere and Alexis Arguello as well.

Comment

ali,robinson,marciano,luis,duran

that would be my top 5

Comment

wow, best boxers and marciano is number 4? he wasnt no great boxer, and tunney ahead of holmes, holyfield, chavez, sumone over there at espn needs to rethink theyre boxing, cause if this list was really about boxing they wouldnt have sluggers in it, known sluggers such as foreman, frazier, dempsy, marciano, all werent great boxers, only ppl could argue frazier was a good boxer, but the rest were just big punchers, they shoulda had a list of sluggers and a list of boxers, like that one older show

Comment

Originally posted by sleazyfellow
          wow, best boxers and marciano is number 4? he wasnt no great boxer, and tunney ahead of holmes, holyfield, chavez, sumone over there at espn needs to rethink theyre boxing, cause if this list was really about boxing they wouldnt have sluggers in it, known sluggers such as foreman, frazier, dempsy, marciano, all werent great boxers, only ppl could argue frazier was a good boxer, but the rest were just big punchers, they shoulda had a list of sluggers and a list of boxers, like that one older show
          It Means best fighters, no matter their style. I disagree with the list but you missed the point. If it was only about boxing skill you have to have Whitiker on their list

Comment

Based on skill, technique, & heart....

1. Robinson
            2. Pep
            3. Louis
            4. Jofre
            5. Duran
            6. Greb
            7. Gans
            8. Whitaker
            9. Langford
            10. Charles

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
              Based on skill, technique, & heart....

1. Robinson
              2. Pep
              3. Louis
              4. Jofre
              5. Duran
              6. Greb
              7. Gans
              8. Whitaker
              9. Langford
              10. Charles
              what the ****?no ali?

Comment

Originally posted by azza-mc
                what the ****?no ali?
                Ali was physically more gifted than just about any boxer to ever don gloves; but his technique was far from perfect and, I feel, below the skill level of those mentioned.

Comment

I'm glad Larry Holmes made it on the list.

Comment

Good responses guys. I'm not a very knowledgeable boxing fan, I'm becoming one more and more, I'm more into MMA. But I also had some problems with the list. I know I might get some **** for this one, and perhaps rightly so, but I see Robinson at the #1 slot followed by Ali or Joe Louis. I know it isn't popular to disrespect Ali, and i don't mean to, but I think sometimes his status as a social icon lifts his status as a boxer past guys like Robinson and Ali who I felt were better fighters. Also I'm really unsure about putting Holyfield, Holmes, and Tunney on the list while passing on guys like Floyd Patterson (55-8, 40 KO's, defeating Archie Moore as a heavyweight and Johannson) or Benny Leonard (lightweight champ for 7 years, went virtually undefeated for almost 20 years).

Comment

Working...
                    X