View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 PM #10
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aldiansyah has a reputation beyond reputealdiansyah has a reputation beyond reputealdiansyah has a reputation beyond reputealdiansyah has a reputation beyond reputealdiansyah has a reputation beyond reputealdiansyah has a reputation beyond reputealdiansyah has a reputation beyond reputealdiansyah has a reputation beyond reputealdiansyah has a reputation beyond reputealdiansyah has a reputation beyond reputealdiansyah has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 24,190.91

Medved touched on it but there was a little more to the story.. it was a while ago and i don't recall all the details but here goes. The fight was originally supposed to be in Sydney (i think) but the officials there wouldn't clear him to fight on medical grounds. Green made a big stink about it saying there should be an investigation etc (as if the officials were in the wrong... kind of funny now) but a few months before the fight was moved to Perth i think in western australia where they allowed the fight to happen.

Despite this, there wasn't much talk of Briggs condition before the fight, but it all came out after that he had serious problems after his career to this point, having a lot of balance, memory and coordination problems - such as showing up at the wrong gym to train for the fight several times. I don't know if it's entirely true but I heard a rumour that before the fight he was actually having trouble walking to the ring and needed help to get in... again, I'd take that with a grain of salt though.

In hindsight it's obvious that Briggs was in no condition whatsoever to get in the ring that night, or ever again, and the general consensus was that he did all he could to get there in order to get one last payday... in a time where there's little credibility to be found, it doesn't look good for the sport but given how much his boxing career has taken out of him I have a hard time begrudging him getting paid one last time.

As a footnote, there was a slew of last minute bets on Green by first round KO, many of them linked to a lebanese gang here called the sword boys or something (yeah we have the worst gang names) and there was an inquiry into fixing, I didn't hear what if anything came of it and it's probable that people just found out about Briggs health beforehand and put money down accordingly.
aldiansyah is offline   Reply With Quote