Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glen Johnson: "Tavoris Cloud ILLEGALLY switched gloves before our fight"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Cloud broke the contract and switched gloves that the Athletic Commission had signed off on than he should be disqualified.

After the whole Margarito Fiasco no one should be doing this kind of thing.

And if he is stupid and ignorant enough to switch gloves in a high profile fight against a 41 year old, he can only blame himself. There is no excuses for this non-sense.

Comment

jesus christ..this guy cries everytime he loses..damn you looked like **** and lost

Comment

If Tavoris Cloud cheated with the gloves. Glen Johnson would be carried out on a stretcher. So let's leave it at that.

Comment

sorry just saw this thread

okay so here is what I think happened

Johnson and Cloud both agreed upon Everlast being the glove for their fight. Both chose their gloves, usually a state official will sign off on them as their #1 and their #2 set, and have them in their possesion throughout until the fighters are in their lockers at which time the commission official will hand them the #1 pair

what I am guessing happened is Cloud probably went to the commission and asked for an Everlast 10oz in black (I know that's what he wanted the first time this fight was made) and the commission obliged him a set they had from the undercard fights. We at Everlast will glove an entire card and occasionally give spares just in case. Those gloves are all sealed straight from the warehouses.

when Cloud got the black set it had to have come from the commission as I know for a fact fighters, fighter trainers, and fighter managers cannot bring their own gloves to a fight. I made that mistake twice of handing gloves off to a manager only to have them never used because 1. NSAC wouldn't accept them from the manager 2. Mexican border officials broke the seals of the gloves making them useless. If that's Johnson's claim then it is unfounded

now to the type of gloves. Johnson wore the 1910 which you can tell by the "C" on the thumb and the uniform color (in this case all red) on them. Our MX glove has a white palm unless it's custom made (like we did for Frankie Gomez, Angulo and Cotto) and the Protex3 has a grey palm. Cloud wore our classic glove.

In all honesty the glove Johnson wore is more of a punchers glove than the classic because it is made of a denser foam and less squishy like the classic has been known for.

My guess it that the commission will find out how Cloud the gloves, inspect them for irregularities, and if nothing report it as a non issue.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Eaner0919 View Post

Johnson and Cloud both agreed upon Everlast being the glove for their fight. Both chose their gloves, usually a state official will sign off on them as their #1 and their #2 set, and have them in their possesion throughout until the fighters are in their lockers at which time the commission official will hand them the #1 pair

what I am guessing happened is Cloud probably went to the commission and asked for an Everlast 10oz in black (I know that's what he wanted the first time this fight was made) and the commission obliged him a set they had from the undercard fights. We at Everlast will glove an entire card and occasionally give spares just in case. Those gloves are all sealed straight from the warehouses.

when Cloud got the black set it had to have come from the commission as I know for a fact fighters, fighter trainers, and fighter managers cannot bring their own gloves to a fight. I made that mistake twice of handing gloves off to a manager only to have them never used because 1. NSAC wouldn't accept them from the manager 2. Mexican border officials broke the seals of the gloves making them useless. If that's Johnson's claim then it is unfounded

now to the type of gloves. Johnson wore the 1910 which you can tell by the "C" on the thumb and the uniform color (in this case all red) on them. Our MX glove has a white palm unless it's custom made (like we did for Frankie Gomez, Angulo and Cotto) and the Protex3 has a grey palm. Cloud wore our classic glove.

In all honesty the glove Johnson wore is more of a punchers glove than the classic because it is made of a denser foam and less squishy like the classic has been known for.

My guess it that the commission will find out how Cloud the gloves, inspect them for irregularities, and if nothing report it as a non issue.

Hope that helps
            Thanks for the insight.

I still wonder why the commision would allow a change of gloves after they have been inspected.

Comment

Glen has been on the losing end of a lot of close fights so this is nothing new . More sour grapes than anything else. He is the new gate keeper at 175. Good enough 2 give the top fighters a run 4 the money but not good enough 2 beat them at this stage of his career especially at 40 years old u would think tavoris should have won more easily.

Comment

Hope that helps
                thanks man, great info as always

Comment

well it's what Missouri? probably not used to big fights like this this frequently. I do know that commissions will change gloves for a fighter when they have spares available and they have been approved by the commission. It happened to me when our MX was having quality issues and one of my fighters switched to the 1910.

not as unusual as it's being made to be although the scope of the fight should have stopped the commission official from allowing Cloud to switch IMO

Comment

well it's what Missouri? probably not used to big fights like this this frequently. I do know that commissions will change gloves for a fighter when they have spares available and they have been approved by the commission. It happened to me when our MX was having quality issues and one of my fighters switched to the 1910.

not as unusual as it's being made to be although the scope of the fight should have stopped the commission official from allowing Cloud to switch IMO
                    Yeah an inexperienced commision might explain it.

I wonder if they can be held accountable to some sort of negligence even if they find nothing wrong with the gloves.

Comment

E, it looks to me that Johnson was wearing an MX and Cloud was wearing the traditional model. Is that right? Then in my opinion Johnson had the advantage and nothing to complain about.

I have found the MX to be much more of a puncher's glove. The only diadvantage that Johnson may have had was if he was having hand issues due to the MX versus the traditional. I have not heard of any hand issues though.

Glen Johnson just needs to move on. He fought a tough fight but lost IMO due to "effective aggressiveness". There were alot of times wehre Johnson's aggressivness was very ineffective if you will.

Comment

Working...
                      X