Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will Whitaker be remembered most for?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His great defense and incredibly uneventful and boring fights.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      The more I watch Whitaker the more I see him as the most complete fighter of the last 30 years. Only Duran rivals him in that span with Floyd coming in behind that.
      James Toney is more Complete than Floyd. He does everything Floyd does, but he punches in combinations, and to the body effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
        James Toney is more Complete than Floyd. He does everything Floyd does, but he punches in combinations, and to the body effectively.
        This is certainly arguable but his lapses in focus during certain fights takes him down a notch for me. I can't stand Floyd, but he rarely loses focus and always finds a way to take or maintain control. Jmo.

Comment

I love Pernell Whitaker and James Toney...but they seriously might be the most overrated fighters in the history of the internet. If you only learned about boxing from reading boxing scene you would think these two are #1a and #1b P4P GOAT

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            His great defense and incredibly uneventful and boring fights.

I couldn't stand watching Whitaker when he was active, but I've grown to appreciate his greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
              True..... Thanks for sharing
              Back at ya MJ.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                I love Pernell Whitaker and James Toney...but they seriously might be the most overrated fighters in the history of the internet. If you only learned about boxing from reading boxing scene you would think these two are #1a and #1b P4P GOAT

I don't consider them over rated or the best p4p fighters all time. It does however take more than this website and boxrec to properly gauge just how good a fighter is/was though. Not all that hard to pick out the intelligent from the unintelligent around here.

Comment

I don't consider them over rated or the best p4p fighters all time. It does however take more than this website and boxrec to properly gauge just how good a fighter is/was though. Not all that hard to pick out the intelligent from the unintelligent around here.
                  I'm not questioning how you or I would gauge their talents, I am just saying the love these two get on sites like this one is ridiculous...not so much Sweet Pea in his day, but Toney 8 or 10 years ago...wtf was he doing to impress? Why are people so enamored with this man? Toney never impressed me much at all...perhaps it was personal preference or who knows...I am just completely baffled by the love Toney gets on here.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                    I'm not questioning how you or I would gauge their talents, I am just saying the love these two get on sites like this one is ridiculous...not so much Sweet Pea in his day, but Toney 8 or 10 years ago...wtf was he doing to impress? Why are people so enamored with this man? Toney never impressed me much at all...perhaps it was personal preference or who knows...I am just completely baffled by the love Toney gets on here.
                    No I understand you perfectly. There will always be certain groups who overrate their favorites, thats a given.

As far as Toney goes...he simply had wicked talent, one of the best all around fighters I've ever watched when he was on his game. Unfortunately he probably wouldn't crack my top 50 all time p4p (probably close though) because of lackluster efforts at times and unwillingness to maintain a disciplined lifestyle conducive to a great career. Had he been able to correct these things I have little doubt he would deserve to be mentioned amongst a more elite class of fighter from an all time stand point. He certainly had the tools.

Comment

I couldn't stand watching Whitaker when he was active, but I've grown to appreciate his greatness.
                      I couldn't stand it either. Maybe I should watch him again to become more appreciative like you. I haven't done that.

Comment

Working...
                      X