Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprised how Jack Dempsey footwork coordination and speed it's underrated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprised how Jack Dempsey footwork coordination and speed it's underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3BTycNuY44

His first tittle fight. Jack going in (to seek his shots) and then out of range from the Willard's jab while crouching and countering is a string of beauty pulling it off so well.Dare I say it looks pretty graceful for a guy famed for mauling. At 2:12 to 2:17

Not to mention his dashing agility by covering a good distance to get closer a much taller foe is something I don't see from any other fighters doing this. he covered so much distance you barely see any hints of movements going forward as soon as Willard moves back in resets himself to jab. jack is right on him.

At 2:26 to 2:27 and 2:44 to 2:245

To make up for it, his chin, resume, ring IQ and power get some nostalgic polishing.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

That shit is basic as hell. I swear you goddamn history nerds fap to anything you see in some grainy ass video from YouTube.

Comment

pretty easy to look graceful against Williard

but he does take him apart in a much more strategic and tactical manner than you would expect given how Dempsey is remembered as a fighter.

Comment

Dempseys reputation has moved on for almost a 100 years now! Do you think theres a reason for that? What most of you "record readers" don't see is his ability to judge distance and his reactions! If you don't see it in a boxers style you don't recognize the talents! No difference with Marciano who also stepped in and went under to come over. You see it with Frazier and Tyson because they're steps resemble a boxers move behind a jab. The guys like Jack are considered crude by fans who can't see their form and style because they don't understand different styles. Pressure fighters are misunderstood on this forum because theres fewer and fewer trainers around these days who know how to teach it! Then theres the amatuer ranks that won't tolerate the style because the head positioning can be forward and thats a no no in the amatuer ranks! Not to mention body punching!!!!
          The other thats simply missed by most younger fans is that Dempsey and Marciano were vicious punchers with heavy hands and punched through their targets, no pulling shots! These people were animals in the ring and theres no one like them today! Its a different fight when its for food and shelter. Remember Dempsey was a homeless man when he started, no education and had no problem breaking a man up to get a meal. That was his first job in "boxing"! HA!!! David Haye would piddle his trunks if he saw Jack across the ring!! Ray.

Comment

Anybody that thinks that Dempsey is 'primitive' in his style should take the time to learn about the "Dempsey Triples." Then take the time to learn how to execute them- just how to do the moves while maintaining balance and punching with force. On a heavy bag, not even against a live opponent. Then try them against a live opponent.

Comment

Just worked on that dashing technique in sparring it is effective, but in no way good in regards to how Dempsey did it. He had way more agility and didn't show traces of movement. For me my problem going forward is when i show having a little bit of vibrating jump i'm trying to look stationary as possible. But watever.

What is the Dempsey Triples can yeah enlighten me please?

Comment

Originally posted by Hailow View Post
                Just worked on that dashing technique in sparring it is effective, but in no way good in regards to how Dempsey did it. He had way more agility and didn't show traces of movement. For me my problem going forward is when i show having a little bit of vibrating jump i'm trying to look stationary as possible. But watever.

What is the Dempsey Triples can yeah enlighten me please?
                They were series of punches, incorporating bob and weave moves. The moves begin off slipping an opponent's left lead.
                In one, as you slip inside the left you punch to the heart with a short right hand. Then you bob back under the opponent's left arm and weave to the outside, hooking the left to the stomach as you go. Once outside, you finish with a right hand back over the top.
                Another begins by slipping outside the left lead, hooking your left to his stomach as you slip.Then you bob under the left, weave to the inside, short right hook to the heart as you do so. Once back inside you straighten up with a left upper cut or left hook to the chin.
                A lot of timing and balance and really knowing how to shift your weight.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                  They were series of punches, incorporating bob and weave moves. The moves begin off slipping an opponent's left lead.
                  In one, as you slip inside the left you punch to the heart with a short right hand. Then you bob back under the opponent's left arm and weave to the outside, hooking the left to the stomach as you go. Once outside, you finish with a right hand back over the top.
                  Another begins by slipping outside the left lead, hooking your left to his stomach as you slip.Then you bob under the left, weave to the inside, short right hook to the heart as you do so. Once back inside you straighten up with a left upper cut or left hook to the chin.
                  A lot of timing and balance and really knowing how to shift your weight.
                  Not many fighters today can excute these moves with the speed and power that jack did in his prime.

Comment

No, not really. You see guys slip, then punch, or bob/weave, then punch. But to throw the punch with the move, you have to really understand how your weight moves.

Comment

Working...
                    X