Could Folley have taken a dive VS Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Folley have taken a dive VS Ali

Go to 9:10.

I don't know, something looks fishy, those 2 punches weren't that hard, particularly the one that sent him down, and when fighters fall on their face, they're usually out cold, Folley is not.

I feel he could have taken a dive, and that wouldn't have been a first with Liston a while back.

I'm not particularly suspicious. Foley was well past his prime and Ali basically toyed with him. I consider it legit.

Comment

Why would you fix a fight so that the favorite wins? That's a terrible way to make money.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        Why would you fix a fight so that the favorite wins? That's a terrible way to make money.
        I'm not saying the fight was fixed. Just that Folley looked like a guy looking for a way out in a fight he could not win.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiozzo View Post
          I'm not saying the fight was fixed. Just that Folley looked like a guy looking for a way out in a fight he could not win.
          Oh alright. Well. I can't say.

Comment

Tiozzo, the correct meaning of taking a dive is when you agree to get KOed before the bell rings. Usually for gambling purposes. I realize that is not your intent here. To answer the question the punch didn't look like it warrented the reaction from Foley, but then again I didn't get hit with it,LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
              Tiozzo, the correct meaning of taking a dive is when you agree to get KOed before the bell rings. Usually for gambling purposes. I realize that is not your intent here. To answer the question the punch didn't look like it warrented the reaction from Foley, but then again I didn't get hit with it,LOL
              I see. What is the correct expression here ? Throw a fight ? I'd like to know.

Comment

Folley was a really good fighter and that was two flush right hands on the button,the second one of which he never saw coming and obviously he was barragged all fight and his heart wasn't in it....
                I don't think he fell down voluntarily but i think he took the ko punches in a giving up sort of way like he didn't want to see them coming...

anyways you should look at Martinez vs Darren Barker that amazes me how Barker went down... didn't seem legit

Comment

I don't know, something looks fishy, those 2 punches weren't that hard, particularly the one that sent him down, and when fighters fall on their face, they're usually out cold, Folley is not.

I feel he could have taken a dive, and that wouldn't have been a first with Liston a while back.

about 15-20 seconds before that he hits him with a right hand that folley clearly didnt see and it snapped his head back

if you look at his legs after that shot they look like they're not behaving exactly how they should

and then of course he hits him with a double right hand

you cant react to the second one the way you reacted to the first one if it hits you hard enough

i'll also say that ali had a ton of snap on his punches, and shouldnt be considered a powder puff puncher, even if he wasnt a real hitter at HW

Comment

The Liston one really, really annoys me. People just repeat it ad nauseam without ever really checking it out. Liston did not, let me repeat that, DID NOT, take a dive. You can see it in slow-mo replays of the fight, which is always why I've considered so ****ing frustrating that people repeat he took a dive. It's right there in front of your goddamned face! You can see his whole head, neck and upper back spasm from the punch.

The only question is not whether he took a dive, but whether he was just too done in to get back up and fight on. When you've just been hit by such a punch though, I can see why he didn't get back up.

It was definitely no dive though. Just watch his upper back. It literally ripples with the power from the punch through his chin to neck to upper back. What more could you ask for? Just watch the video and never repeat that it was a dive again.

Not only that, if you are still too much of an unbeliever, just watch Ali's arm/bicep and man-boob. You can see the impact travel up his arm and quite truly travel through his man-boob from the top to the bottom from the impact. It's incredible! If you still think there was any dive after seeing it first hand, you have no hope.

Do someone people really think he missed? Tiozzo? Please don't tell me you do too?
                    Last edited by BennyST; 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM. Reason: Really?

Comment

Working...
                    X